Puma of Pontybodkin: Is a wild puma on the loose in Wales?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

Is a wild puma on the loose in Wales? Mysterious labrador-sized big black cat dubbed the 'Puma of Pontybodkin' is spotted for third time​

'Labrador-sized cat' spotted walking in Talacre, Flintshire on New Year's Eve
Puma Watch North Wales have received several sightings of animal in last year
Most recent reports came from Pontybodkin, near Wrexham in December
Two other sightings as far away as Snowdonia where farmer lost 10 sheep

By WILLIAM COLE FOR MAILONLINE
5 January 2021

A mystery big cat has been spotted stalking the Welsh hills - after multiple 'puma' sightings in the past few weeks.

A 'labrador-sized' cat dubbed the 'Puma of Pontybodkin' was reported walking along a road on New Year's Eve just days after a similar animal dashed across a field.

There have been a series of reports made to the Puma Watch North Wales group since November - with apparent sightings across the area.

The latest witness described the elusive beast as 'a large cat roughly the size of a Labrador' and reported seeing it along the a busy A-road near Talacre, Flintshire.

A 'labrador-sized' cat dubbed the 'Puma of Pontybodkin' was reported walking along a road on New Year's Eve just days after a similar animal dashed across a field

It comes a week after the latest of two recent sightings 20 miles away in the village of Pontybodkin - where one villager described seeing a 'dog-sized' black cat.

The witness said: 'Through the window that overlooks the field I saw a cat shaped, however dog sized, full black figure run across the field towards the hedge/fence.

'I lost sight of it as there's a brow in the hill. It was sprinting across.

'I could tell it was not a dog, however I did have a look to see if there were any dog walkers, however there weren't any.

There have been a series of reports made to the Puma Watch North Wales group since November - with apparent sightings across the area. Pictured: Paw prints found in Rhiwlas, Bangor last year

There have been a series of reports made to the Puma Watch North Wales group since November - with apparent sightings across the area. Pictured: Paw prints found in Rhiwlas, Bangor last year

'This comes after a sighting of a big cat on the old railway line last month, which is 150m to 200m away. Unfortunately, I was unable to take a video or photo.'

Walker Toby Matthews filmed what he claimed was a big black cat dashing out in front of him on a lane near Pontybodkin in November.

Toby said: 'I looked up and had a sudden moment of shock, almost like when you wake up suddenly from a dream feeling like you're falling. Maybe 50 or 60 feet away was an enormous black cat looking right at me.

'I took a photo then turned around and quickly walked back. I wanted to start running but was worried it'd give chase.

1613922066019.png
Paw prints found in Meliden, Prestatyn

Puma Watch North Wales have received sightings as far away as Snowdonia and Flintshire. Left: A possible puma sighting in Corwen, Denbighshire. Right: Paw prints found in Meliden, Prestatyn

Richard Evans, 24, was riding his bike when he spotted the 'enormous' creature stalking its way through a meadow outside Chester

Richard Evans, 24, was riding his bike when he spotted the 'enormous' creature stalking its way through the Meadows outside Chester, 10 miles from Pontybodkin, on 13th December

'I'm convinced that it was a puma, it was about two or three times the size of my little Labrador. It was probably around the same size as some of the jaguars at the zoo, and I think it was completely black.

'It's a really deserted and rural area and I rarely pass anyone else on walks, there's thick woodland either side of the path where animals can probably stay undisturbed for years.'

The reports follows two other sightings in 2020 around 50 miles away in Snowdonia - including where one farmer lost at least 10 sheep to a mystery killer.

Mysterious labrador-sized big black cat spotted in Wales for third time | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
1613946605789.png

For over two hundred years, the rural communities of the United Kingdom have fallen victim to attacks by mysterious feline intruders. As incidents involving these unidentified creatures continue to be reported, we examine the evidence and question whether there really are predators on the moors.

Last edited:

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

Is a wild puma on the loose in Wales? Mysterious labrador-sized big black cat dubbed the 'Puma of Pontybodkin' is spotted for third time​

'Labrador-sized cat' spotted walking in Talacre, Flintshire on New Year's Eve
Puma Watch North Wales have received several sightings of animal in last year
Most recent reports came from Pontybodkin, near Wrexham in December
Two other sightings as far away as Snowdonia where farmer lost 10 sheep

By WILLIAM COLE FOR MAILONLINE
5 January 2021

A mystery big cat has been spotted stalking the Welsh hills - after multiple 'puma' sightings in the past few weeks.

A 'labrador-sized' cat dubbed the 'Puma of Pontybodkin' was reported walking along a road on New Year's Eve just days after a similar animal dashed across a field.

There have been a series of reports made to the Puma Watch North Wales group since November - with apparent sightings across the area.

The latest witness described the elusive beast as 'a large cat roughly the size of a Labrador' and reported seeing it along the a busy A-road near Talacre, Flintshire.

A 'labrador-sized' cat dubbed the 'Puma of Pontybodkin' was reported walking along a road on New Year's Eve just days after a similar animal dashed across a field

It comes a week after the latest of two recent sightings 20 miles away in the village of Pontybodkin - where one villager described seeing a 'dog-sized' black cat.

The witness said: 'Through the window that overlooks the field I saw a cat shaped, however dog sized, full black figure run across the field towards the hedge/fence.

'I lost sight of it as there's a brow in the hill. It was sprinting across.

'I could tell it was not a dog, however I did have a look to see if there were any dog walkers, however there weren't any.

'This comes after a sighting of a big cat on the old railway line last month, which is 150m to 200m away. Unfortunately, I was unable to take a video or photo.'

Walker Toby Matthews filmed what he claimed was a big black cat dashing out in front of him on a lane near Pontybodkin in November.

Toby said: 'I looked up and had a sudden moment of shock, almost like when you wake up suddenly from a dream feeling like you're falling. Maybe 50 or 60 feet away was an enormous black cat looking right at me.

'I took a photo then turned around and quickly walked back. I wanted to start running but was worried it'd give chase.

View attachment 6216
Paw prints found in Meliden, Prestatyn

Puma Watch North Wales have received sightings as far away as Snowdonia and Flintshire. Left: A possible puma sighting in Corwen, Denbighshire. Right: Paw prints found in Meliden, Prestatyn

Richard Evans, 24, was riding his bike when he spotted the 'enormous' creature stalking its way through a meadow outside Chester'enormous' creature stalking its way through a meadow outside Chester

Richard Evans, 24, was riding his bike when he spotted the 'enormous' creature stalking its way through the Meadows outside Chester, 10 miles from Pontybodkin, on 13th December

'I'm convinced that it was a puma, it was about two or three times the size of my little Labrador. It was probably around the same size as some of the jaguars at the zoo, and I think it was completely black.

'It's a really deserted and rural area and I rarely pass anyone else on walks, there's thick woodland either side of the path where animals can probably stay undisturbed for years.'

The reports follows two other sightings in 2020 around 50 miles away in Snowdonia - including where one farmer lost at least 10 sheep to a mystery killer.

Mysterious labrador-sized big black cat spotted in Wales for third time | Daily Mail Online
1614112461846.png

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Mystery big black cat spotted prowling fields as man who took photos 'quickly retreats'

The animal was spotted near Ham Mill Lane in the village of Thrupp, just outside Stroud, walking through a field surrounded by trees. A man captured the creature on camera at around 11am on Wednesday

1617075421039.png