How the GW myth is perpetuated

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
IF the global Climate is warming and IF the sea level is raising due to melting ice, what explains Nantucket? Rebounding? Glacial Rebounding 12,000 years after the beginning of this inter-glacial period?

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
A few things to start.

Temperatures were cooler than now.

Sea levels have risen and continue that trend.

Sea levels aren't uniform.

Nantucket is experiencing sea level rise and your picture even suggests it....Tuckernut island in now an actual island.

The nautical map doesn't display water inland which would help as well.

Would also be nice to know what time of day that Google maps picture was taken to be able to factor in the tides.

No tricks zone will have to try harder.

I would never use talk and text because well....we see what happens....lol.

Have a good one.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

OK. Cool. If Tuckernut Island and Martha's Vineyard are being slowly swallowed by the sea (and not also experiencing isostatic rebound to compensate for that like it appears the map pictures posted yeasterday are showing if sea levels are rising), then buying real estate at or just above sea level there could be a very poor investment. I wonder if the poor bastard that recently purchased this place is aware that he may need scuba gear to go to the fridge and get himself a beer in his retirement?

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020

OK. Cool. If Tuckernut Island and Martha's Vineyard are being slowly swallowed by the sea (and not also experiencing isostatic rebound to compensate for that like it appears the map pictures posted yeasterday are showing if sea levels are rising), then buying real estate at or just above sea level there could be a very poor investment. I wonder if the poor bastard that recently purchased this place is aware that he may need scuba gear to go to the fridge and get himself a beer in his retirement?

Coastal loss globally isn't uniform. There is a map somewhere that shows the danger areas. I'll see if i find it.

He would be dead by the time this happens.

I wonder what the flood insurance rate is for this property. Insurance companies are good at assessing risk.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Coastal loss globally isn't uniform. There is a map somewhere that shows the danger areas. I'll see if i find it.

He would be dead by the time this happens.

I wonder what the flood insurance rate is for this property. Insurance companies are good at assessing risk.
I've no idea, but I think they paid $15,000,000.00 USD for this place recently. Luckily back in 2014 the US legislated in a flood insurance relief bill signed in by then President Obama to prevent sharp premium hikes after an overhaul of the government’s flood insurance program in 2012.

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2014/03/24/324217.htm

The 2012 rewrite was aimed at weaning those in flood-prone areas off of subsidized rates and required extensive updating of the flood maps used to set premiums. But its implementation left homeowners along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts and in flood plains facing often unaffordable rate increases.

The new law caps flood insurance premium increases and allows below-market insurance rates to be passed on to people buying homes in flood zones with taxpayer-subsidized policies. Critics say taxpayers will end up footing the bill when the next disaster strikes instead of homeowners who choose to live in areas susceptible to flooding.

Another provision, eagerly sought by the real estate industry, allows sellers of older homes built before original flood insurance risk maps were drafted to pass taxpayer-subsidized policies on to the people buying their homes instead of requiring purchasers to pay actuarially sound rates immediately, as required by the 2012 law.

Pretty lucky for this guy being only 10' above sea level in the yellow zone. If not for this he could have been royally screwed if he didn't know about the flood risk or the potential sea level change due to global warming/changing.

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
Somebody may have told them the risk but they ignored it because they "didn't drink the koolade" in their words.

Thanks for that insurance info, I didn't know that before now.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Somebody may have told them the risk but they ignored it because they "didn't drink the koolade" in their words.
Thanks for that insurance info, I didn't know that before now.
I concur with your assessment of the situation and that it appears that this particular individual “did not drink the koolaide” but did hedge his bet with the change to Federal legislation with respect to flood insurance rates. This is Barack Obama’s new digs. Weird situation.
https://unfccc.int/news/president-obama-climate-change-greatest-threat-to-future-generations

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
The sea levels that are rising in a linear fashion? What about it? Is something out of norm?

That they are rising normally with ice sheet loss and thermal expansion.

Unless you can identify another reason....the moon perhaps.

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
Nearest I can find, some sources say 9 feet above sea level and others say 10’.

Sea level rise of 1 inch per decade maybe two if it accelerates.

Lots of wiggle room.

That was a lot of effort to do a "but Obama". ;-)

No tricks zone will have to try harder.

Btw, just use the terrain function on Google earth.

You will also notice a sea wall if you go a little south...Venn beach.

This satellite photo was taken at high tide, if you have google earth pro you can view the historical photo taken at low tide in 2017.

Last edited: