Alligator attacks 2-year-old boy at Disney World, recovery effort continues

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
75,301
548
113
Vernon, B.C.
Kid's dead, big fukking deal, right? You sure as hell don't seem to give damn.



And you just keep ignoring this incident and belittling this child's death.

You know, if you're saying that all kids matter then ALL kids should matter.

If you're simply using this child's very unfortunate and rather horrific death to further some political agenda you have, then you are as bad if not worse than those you seek to condemn.


I don't think Cliffy was posting in a malicious sort of way, but rather pointing out all the death that occurs on a daily basis that we have grown "numb" to because there is so much of it.
 

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
21,155
149
63
How do you feel about all the kids being bombed and shot, maimed and murdered in Palestine, Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and Yemen? How about the million or so that starved to death because of US sanctions on Iraq before they bombed the hell out of the place? Nobody bats an eye about them. One gets eaten by an alligator doing what alligators do, and everybody loses their mind.

That's right gerry. Focus on the incident and avoid looking at the big picture. We have been compartmentalized by media 10 second sound bites. Whatever you do, do not attempt to connect the dots. You might find out what is really going on.
How do you feel about what Julius Caesar did? There can't be much to care about after that.
 

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
60,548
9,614
113
Washington DC
I prefer "Vidi vici veni."

I ain't seen any pictures, but since I ain't hearing nobody howling for the parents to be prosecuted for child abuse, like they did with the kid that fell in the gorilla pit, I assume the family's white.
 

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
39,050
3,605
113
After fatal attack, theme parks weigh alligator warnings
Jay Reeves And Kelli Kennedy, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Thursday, June 16, 2016 08:20 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, June 17, 2016 01:50 AM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- It's an unwritten rule for Florida residents: Keep your kids away from ponds and lakes because alligators are everywhere.
But after a gator killed a 2-year-old Nebraska boy at a Walt Disney World resort, attention soon turned to tourists. In a state with an estimated 1 million alligators, how should theme parks and other attractions warn visitors, and did Disney do enough?
Disney beaches remained closed Thursday after the death of Lane Graves, and the company said it has decided to add alligator warning signs, which it previously did not have around park waters.
Jacquee Wahler, vice-president of Walt Disney World Resort, said in a statement that the resort was also "conducting a swift and thorough review of all of our processes and protocols."
Local law enforcement and state wildlife officials publicly praised the company for spotting and removing nuisance gators from park waters.
Disney's wildlife management system has ensured "that their guests are not unduly exposed to the wildlife in this area," Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said during the search for the child.
Yet Kadie Whalen, who lives in Wynnewood, Pennsylvania, saw no evidence of that system when she visited Disney World with her family four years ago.
Whalen said her three young children and niece were playing on a resort beach at the water's edge with buckets and shovels provided by Disney workers when the beady eyes of a 7-foot gator appeared in a lake just a few feet away. She screamed and everyone scattered.
No one was hurt, but after her experience, this week's fatal alligator attack did not surprise her.
"We knew that Disney was aware that this was a problem, and yet they encourage people to be there," Whalen said Thursday in a telephone interview.
The dead child's parents, Matt and Melissa Graves, who live in a suburban area of Omaha, have not spoken publicly, so it's unclear whether they knew anything about the gator threat in Florida. A statement released through a family friend thanked local authorities for their tireless work.
An autopsy showed that the boy died from drowning and traumatic injuries, according to the Orlando medical examiner.
Most Florida residents know to keep kids and pets away from water, not to feed gators and to be especially vigilant at dusk, dawn and during the June-through-July nesting season when the reptiles are most active.
State wildlife officials say they receive nearly 16,000 alligator-related complaints a year. Last year, they removed more than 7,500 gators deemed to be a nuisance.
Depending on the size of an alligator, the state may send out a trapper, as happened after the gator grabbed the boy at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, located across Seven Seas Lagoon from the Magic Kingdom, one of the world's most popular tourist destinations.
Five gators were removed from the lake following the boy's disappearance, and trappers continued looking for gators after his body was found Wednesday.
While Disney had posted "no swimming" signs at the lake where the boy died, it did not have alligator warning signs, which are common around golf courses, ponds and public parks all over Florida. That has raised questions about whether the company did enough to convey the potential danger to visitors.
"They presumably know, since they have caught four or five alligators in this area, that the area has dangers that far and away exceed the danger of drowning," said Miami-based defence attorney Scott Leeds. "So this issue of posting a sign warning of swimming or no swimming doesn't adequately warn patrons of the known danger."
Responding to questions from The Associated Press, Disney said it has a policy of relocating alligators that are considered a potential threat. Animals less than 4 feet long are taken to conservation areas. Larger gators are removed by state-licensed trappers, the company said.
Whalen said that's what happened in 2012 after the gator appeared in the water near her kids at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort, which is on a different lake than the one where the boy was killed.
As shocked tourists looked on, she said, trappers caught the animal and carried it away, writhing, across a pool and courtyard area outside the hotel. Disney workers threatened to confiscate the phones and cameras of anyone who tried to photograph or videotape the spectacle, she said.
Whalen said she complained to the front desk and wrote a letter to Disney but never heard back. She was also chided by Florida residents who questioned why she'd ever let her kids get near the water, even at Disney.
"It never crossed our minds at Disney World that we would have to worry about a predator eating our children," she said. "We don't have alligators in Pennsylvania."
After fatal attack, theme parks weigh alligator warnings | World | News | Toront
 

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
37,070
8
36
I prefer "Vidi vici veni."

I ain't seen any pictures, but since I ain't hearing nobody howling for the parents to be prosecuted for child abuse, like they did with the kid that fell in the gorilla pit, I assume the family's white.

Sez Nebraska. No black people in Nebraska.
 

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
39,050
3,605
113
Family of toddler 'devastated' by fatal gator attack at Disney
Jay Reeves, The Associated Press
First posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 08:16 AM EDT | Updated: Friday, June 17, 2016 08:37 AM EDT
ORLANDO, Fla. -- The parents of a Nebraska toddler killed by an alligator at Walt Disney World say they're devastated by the loss of their son, whose death prompted the entertainment giant to add gator warnings at the resort.
A statement by Matt and Melissa Graves of Omaha, Neb., said words can't express the shock and grief their family is enduring.
"We are devastated and ask for privacy during this extremely difficult time," said the statement, released by a family friend Thursday.
The brief statement also thanked authorities in Orlando, Fla., for their assistance after the gator grabbed two-year-old Lane Graves from shallow water in a lake at a Disney hotel Tuesday.
An animal described as being as long as seven feet snatched the little boy as he waded in shallow water around nightfall Tuesday. The beach, located at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa across a lake from the Magic Kingdom, had "no swimming" signs but no warning about alligators.
The company said it will now add gator warnings. No time frame was announced immediately, and the resort's beaches remain closed.
A statement by Disney spokeswoman Jacquee Wahler said the company also was conducting a "swift and thorough review of all of our processes and protocols."
While it's an unwritten rule for Florida residents to keep small children away from ponds and lakes in a state with an alligator population estimated at more than 1 million, many out-of-state visitors aren't aware of threat posed by the reptiles.
Kadie Whalen of Wynnewood, Pa., said her three young children and niece were playing on a resort beach at the water's edge four years ago when the beady eyes of a seven-foot gator appeared in a lake just a few feet away. She screamed and everyone scattered.
No one was hurt, but after her experience, this week's fatal alligator attack didn't surprise her.
"We knew that Disney was aware that this was a problem, and yet they encourage people to be there," Whalen said Thursday in a telephone interview.
State wildlife officials say they receive nearly 16,000 alligator-related complaints a year. Last year, they removed more than 7,500 gators deemed to be a nuisance.
Depending on the size of an alligator, the state may send out a trapper, as happened after the gator grabbed the boy at Disney's Seven Seas Lagoon. Officials said five alligators were removed from the lake during the search for the child, whose body was found in the water Wednesday.
Family of toddler 'devastated' by fatal gator attack at Disney | World | News |

Disney attack brings back horror for paramedic who witnessed alligator kill playmate as a child
Michael Warren, The Associated Press
First posted: Friday, June 17, 2016 12:15 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, June 17, 2016 12:30 PM EDT
Jason Kershanick was just nine when he saw a huge alligator leap out of a lake and kill his four-year-old playmate in their Florida neighbourhood.
Now a 37-year-old paramedic firefighter, he remembers the gruesome attack "like it was yesterday." It hits him hard every time a gator kills someone else.
After an alligator snatched a two-year-old boy at a Walt Disney World resort this week, Kershanick's wife asked if he wanted to talk. "I really don't want to relive it," he told her.
He was just steps away when a bull gator more than 10 feet long surged toward Erin Lynn Glover as she splashed through ankle-deep water in Englewood, Fla. It was June 1988, and kids at the time didn't worry much about gators, even though the town stood at the edge of the Everglades.
As a child, he described his friend's last moments to an Associated Press reporter. Game officers killed the beast hours later, her body still in its jaws.
He suspects few of the tourists at Disney World realize the mortal danger that can lurk wherever there's freshwater in Florida.
"We never thought about alligators either. When I was younger, we went to those lakes all the time," Kershanick recalled. But "just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there."
Fatal attacks are rare, despite a gator population that surpasses 1 million in the nation's third-most populous state. The death of Nebraska toddler Lane Graves on Tuesday increases the tally to 24 since 1973, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
Alligators usually avoid humans unless someone feeds them.
After Erin's death, "I remember people said they were pretty sure that they had seen that alligator before and that people were feeding it. Whenever that happens, that's what brings them closer to shore. If that's happening, that's the real danger," Kershanick said.
There has been no suggestion that Disney tourists were feeding the gator that killed the boy, and authorities said Disney's wildlife managers do a good job of removing dangerous animals from its theme parks. Then again, there's no practical way to prevent gators from slipping back in.
"Nobody should be feeding them, and I hope that that wasn't the case. But people -- especially in Orlando -- a good percentage of them aren't from Florida. And people could have been feeding them anywhere, even outside the parks," Kershanick said.
Gators, he said, can "move everywhere in water, even through pipes. If it's a lake in Florida, an alligator can get in there, absolutely."
Kershanick feels for the Graves family. Erin's relatives were forever changed by the horror. Even now, they declined to talk about it. Kershanick said he received a lot of counselling as a child.
"They asked me about nightmares, but mostly it was keeping me busy that helped," he said.
He joined the Navy after high school and then became a firefighter and a paramedic. The alligator attack still affects him as he responds to people suffering their own horrors.
"Every day in my work, I see extreme tragedy," said Kershanick, who now lives in Jensen Beach, on Florida's east coast. "It's easy for me to relate when I see someone in pain, because I've been through that and had to recover. Maybe that's what helps me in this job."
Three months after Erin's death, Florida launched an annual hunt to help control the population of the once-threatened species.
Kershanick grew up shooting ducks and quail with his father but didn't hunt gators until his 20s, when some firefighter friends got a permit.
"They asked me to come, and to tell you the truth, I was extremely hesitant," he recalled. Then they got their first gator -- another big one, more than 10 feet long. He felt some relief, seeing its body up close.
"I almost looked at it as, 'gotcha,'" he said. "It kind of felt like, here's one dead to return the favour."
Disney attack brings back horror for paramedic who witnessed alligator kill play
 

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
39,050
3,605
113
Parents 'overwhelmed' by support after gator kills toddler
The Associated Press
First posted: Saturday, June 18, 2016 03:25 PM EDT | Updated: Saturday, June 18, 2016 03:30 PM EDT
ORLANDO, Fla. -- The parents of a Nebraska toddler killed by an alligator at Florida's Walt Disney World say they are overwhelmed by the support they have received since the death of their son.
Matt and Melissa Graves of Elkhorn, Nebraska, said in a statement Saturday they appreciate the support and love from friends in their community and around the country.
The Graves also asked for privacy as they lay their son to rest.
An alligator described as being as long as 7 feet snatched 2-year-old Lane Graves as he waded in shallow water in a lake at a Disney hotel Tuesday night. The beach had "no swimming" signs but none warning about alligators.
The company says it will now add gator warnings. The resort's beaches remain closed.
ORLANDO, FL - Newly installed signs warn of alligators and snakes on a closed section of beach following the death of a 2-year-old boy who was killed by an alligator near a Walt Disney World hotel on June 18, 2016 in Orlando, Florida. Lane Graves, who was visiting Disney World with his family from Nebraska, died after he was pulled into the lagoon by an alligator on Tuesday. (Spencer Platt/Getty Images/AFP)

Parents 'overwhelmed' by support after gator kills toddler | World | News | Toro
 

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
29,151
5
36
London, Ontario
You know, I'm all about people accepting their own responsibility for the roles they play in what happens. But there are times when companies need to step up, not coddle, not handle things that a resaonable person should know about, but step up and accept their responsibility too.

Yes the sign said no swimming but, coming from a place where there are no alligators, my first thought would not be "Oh that could be because there is a potential danger in the water", my first thought would be "they post that because they have no life guards and thus want to absolve themselves of legal responsibility". If the reason that is no swimming allowed is the potential danger of alligators, then they should post that on the sign.

The kid was wading at the shoreline with mom and dad probably only a couple of steps away. I assume they were of the mindset that, if the child fell, they could get to him before he drowned. Because that's the level of danger they are likely used to.

Should someone possibly stop and think "hey, there are alligators in Florida, I need to be more cautious when I'm there"? Maybe. But we have bears and wolves here, they don't really cause a problem where I live though. And I wouldn't expect them to be a problem if I were staying at a resort either. I would have an expectation to be told, even though I may never encounter one, that the possibility exists and thus should be aware and reasonably cautious.

Disney Resorts fukked up.
 

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
24,505
2,198
113
I would think there will be a liability to Disney and I would agree

They could have had better signage and they should have done like we do at a resort I occasionally work for in Ont.
WE do snake patrols in likely places, and live trap, and move every found rattlesnake and/or shoot every nuisance bear.
We also try to remove the things that attract them into the populated areas as well.
Hopefully before any incident occurs.

To be honest we regret not only any human injury but one has to have some compassion for the animals too...
 

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
39,050
3,605
113
Officials believe they've captured alligator that killed boy
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
First posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 06:59 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, June 22, 2016 07:08 PM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Florida wildlife officials believe they've captured the alligator that dragged a 2-year-old Nebraska boy into the Seven Seas Lagoon at Walt Disney World.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said in a news release Wednesday that it has suspended alligator trapping activities in the area. The release says officials have based their conclusions on expert analyses and observations by staff with extensive experience in investigating fatal alligator bites. A total of six alligators were removed.
Authorities say an alligator pulled Lane Graves into the water June 14, despite the frantic efforts of his father. Lane's body was recovered the next day. An autopsy showed the boy died from drowning and traumatic injuries.
The beach at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa is across a lake from the Magic Kingdom.
In this Friday, June, 17, 2016 photo released by Walt Disney World Resort, a new sign is seen posted on a beach outside a hotel at a Walt Disney World resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. (Walt Disney World Resort via AP)

Officials believe they've captured alligator that killed boy | World | News | To