Ontario's economy to top Canada's provincial growth rankings in 2015

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Canada's gross domestic product shrank by 0.1 per cent in January, a weak showing, but better than what economists had been expecting.

Statistics Canada said Monday the service sector declined by 0.3 per cent even as the goods-producing industry rose by 0.3 per cent.

After shrinking in December, oil and gas production actually*increased*2.6 per cent*in January as Canada's oil producers kept pumping oil despite low prices.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/business/canada-s-economy-shrank-0-1-in-january-1.3016065

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Ontario budget expected to beat $12.5-billion deficit target

Ontario Finance Minister Charles Sousa, who will deliver a budget in the coming weeks, says he will beat his deficit target of $12.5-billion for the current fiscal year, helped in part by a lower Canadian dollar, reduced oil prices and the economic recovery in the United States.

Mr. Sousa is expected to unveil the new figure Tuesday at a major prebudget luncheon speech to the Toronto Region Board of Trade. He has not yet announced the budget date and it’s not expected he will do so in his speech.

As Ontario’s budget approaches, two other provincial budgets released last week – in Alberta and Quebec – are providing interesting contrasts. Oil-rich Alberta, usually solidly in the black, is showing a deficit and a bleak economic future, given the oil-price meltdown. Quebec, in deficit territory for years and traditionally dependent on federal transfer payments, has presented a balanced budget and is promising economic growth.

Ontario’s budget – Mr. Sousa’s third as Finance Minister – is expected to come somewhere in the middle. In an interview Monday, Mr. Sousa said he will not deviate from his plan, laid out in last year’s budget, to balance the books by 2017-18.

Last year, the government announced $130-billion in spending and projected a deficit of $12.5-billion for 2014-15.

He said that his coming budget will not put anyone in Ontario in “harm’s way.” For example, it is not expected that the government will make dramatic cuts to health care or education.

Quebec took some hard decisions in its budget. Social programs, for which the province is known, were singled out. Daycare costs are increasing and fertility programs for women were eliminated as part of $1.2-billion in spending cuts.

Alberta, meanwhile, announced a record $5-billion deficit and raised income taxes.

Mr. Sousa is painting a positive picture of Ontario’s recovery from the recession. He said that 500,000 jobs have been created since the 2008 recession and that Bank of Canada Governor Stephen Poloz’s interest-rate decrease in January has helped with investment.

...more...

Ontario budget expected to beat $12.5-billion deficit target - The Globe and Mail

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Take a look at this, I am certain that it is weirdo and Flossy doing their combination mime and interpretative dance rendition of the ill effects of AGW.

Global Warming Mime by Vishal Shinde - YouTube

oh wait, what does this post of yours have to do with this thread's topic? Oh my... and so soon after you wrote this gem just a few short posts back... have you reported yourself yet?
You have been warned many times regarding your incessant practice of derailing threads.... As a compliant and faithful CC member, I take it as my sworn duty to ferret-out rule breakers such as yourself and report these heinous infractions to the appropriate authority

"weirdo"??? ah yes, another attempted insult from a simple mind!

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I have been notified that cap has reported himself and has subsequently been permabanned.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
He said that his coming budget will not put anyone in Ontario in “harm’s way.” For example, it is not expected that the government will make dramatic cuts to health care or education
But still more cuts none the less....

Added to those already cut does = "dramatic"

Enjoy!

Last edited:

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Ontario budget expected to beat $12.5-billion deficit target

Ontario Finance Minister Charles Sousa, who will deliver a budget in the coming weeks, says he will beat his deficit target of $12.5-billion for the current fiscal year, helped in part by a lower Canadian dollar, reduced oil prices and the economic recovery in the United States.

Mr. Sousa is expected to unveil the new figure Tuesday at a major prebudget luncheon speech to the Toronto Region Board of Trade. He has not yet announced the budget date and it’s not expected he will do so in his speech.

As Ontario’s budget approaches, two other provincial budgets released last week – in Alberta and Quebec – are providing interesting contrasts. Oil-rich Alberta, usually solidly in the black, is showing a deficit and a bleak economic future, given the oil-price meltdown. Quebec, in deficit territory for years and traditionally dependent on federal transfer payments, has presented a balanced budget and is promising economic growth.

Ontario’s budget – Mr. Sousa’s third as Finance Minister – is expected to come somewhere in the middle. In an interview Monday, Mr. Sousa said he will not deviate from his plan, laid out in last year’s budget, to balance the books by 2017-18.

Last year, the government announced $130-billion in spending and projected a deficit of $12.5-billion for 2014-15.

He said that his coming budget will not put anyone in Ontario in “harm’s way.” For example, it is not expected that the government will make dramatic cuts to health care or education.

Quebec took some hard decisions in its budget. Social programs, for which the province is known, were singled out. Daycare costs are increasing and fertility programs for women were eliminated as part of $1.2-billion in spending cuts.

Alberta, meanwhile, announced a record $5-billion deficit and raised income taxes.

Mr. Sousa is painting a positive picture of Ontario’s recovery from the recession. He said that 500,000 jobs have been created since the 2008 recession and that Bank of Canada Governor Stephen Poloz’s interest-rate decrease in January has helped with investment.

...more...

Ontario budget expected to beat $12.5-billion deficit target - The Globe and Mail

Has he mentioned how much of that reduction will be on the backs ot taxpayers? Gotta fund the Liberal lies somehow.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Has he mentioned how much of that reduction will be on the backs ot taxpayers? Gotta fund the Liberal lies somehow.

Whether it's program cuts or additional taxes, it's always on the backs of the taxpayers. Who do you think pays the bills and benefits from the programs? The real issue is whether or not taxpayers are getting value for their dollar. I know here in Alberta, we haven't since Klein.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Whether it's program cuts or additional taxes, it's always on the backs of the taxpayers. Who do you think pays the bills and benefits from the programs? The real issue is whether or not taxpayers are getting value for their dollar. I know here in Alberta, we haven't since Klein.

Certainly the bang for the buck has been in continuous decline here since 2003.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Looks like things are turning around.

They are slightly less incompetent than previously judged or are taking advantage on the extremely favourable conditions for Ontario with low dollar and cheap fuel. My money is on the latter but I will reserve judgement to see what happens when oil returns to its previous levels (if they are still in power when that happens of course).

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
They are slightly less incompetent than previously judged or are taking advantage on the extremely favourable conditions for Ontario with low dollar and cheap fuel. My money is on the latter but I will reserve judgement to see what happens when oil returns to its previous levels (if they are still in power when that happens of course).

They still beat the Alberta Conservatives hands down. They've fumbled and bumbled their way through the last ten year despite obscene oil and gas revenue.