TKO Target can't handle the Canadian market

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Not yet but I do see empty Walmart and Canadian Tire parking lots in my own community everyday Angstrom. What we clearly have is a shrinking consumer base which usually means cash is tight. The Boomers aint going anywhere unless their mortages and cards are paid off.
I disagree DB....they misread our market and our spending habits. I hear people whining all of the time and finger pointing about others and their debt load.

Reality is 70% of Canadians pay their credit card balance in full each month, so for them the interest rate is zero on the borrow, that is an amazing stat.

Look, Zellers were the smart ones. Yah get it yet?
absolutely agree with this part

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I think we doing just fine considering we produce next to nothing and still have one of the highest standard of living in the world.

Both Iraq and Lybia had higher standards OL then Canada has ever had.

I don't know what rock you've been hiding under but Canada is full or petroleum and mineral resources-wood too.

So what do we make with it?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I would like to a non discount seller move in. Tired of shopping at junk stores. Would rather pay a little more for something half decent.

Like Macys

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I disagree DB....they misread our market and our spending habits. I hear people whining all of the time and finger pointing about others and their debt load.

Reality is 70% of Canadians pay their credit card balance in full each month, so for them the interest rate is zero on the borrow, that is an amazing stat.

absolutely agree with this part

No they didn't misread market indicators. At the time of formulation of the move to Canada things said go now they say something else. I think the word volatility got them. In any case this retail shutdown is not isolated little breakdowns. There are a great many business foldups and the frequency is climbing. So they pay on time every month and avoid the interest. They're still in debt every month.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I would like to a non discount seller move in. Tired of shopping at junk stores. Would rather pay a little more for something half decent.

Like Macys
The economy is going down, Canada doesn't need a WalMart and a Targets. The Bay will be the middle class store and the dollar stores will carry what target used to at 50x the efficiency. I can live with that. I gave up caring about that when there were more than 10 BMW's in the parking lot of Value Village, same one that head to the private country club 1 hr later. lol Hobos weather depressions better than anybody, if you come out as one then going in as one means it's just another day at the not a office.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I feel sad for the employees. They must be in shock.

I like the Bay. I wish one would move in to our Target store.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I also now it isn't the same seventy percent every month who avoid the interest charges and that the interest earned every month by the thirty percent is the important action from the banks perspective. It only takes one major appliance failure to force you into interest payments.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State

Target's central location is here in the Twinkie Cities - this news got big attention here and it surprised a lot of people. Then the news was followed up with a report that the company's stock went up in value after the decision to close down those places.

Wouldn't you know it - working people lose their jobs and corporate elites profit.

I, for one, hope they reverse that decision.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
I also now it isn't the same seventy percent every month who avoid the interest charges and that the interest earned every month by the thirty percent is the important action from the banks perspective. It only takes one major appliance failure to force you into interest payments.

Yes because life would be so much better without the ability to borrow money to replace you're stove or refrigerator.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I can see repair manuals will become popular.
To bad about the detonator chips that reset after a 5 yr lifespan. I'm going to promote the gas tank being on the roof instead of being part of the dash this round. Once the horse has the battery charged an e-motor using the same design as a new washing machine could be at each of the 4 wheels for the 'sporty model'. With a charger at home the transmission lines standing is lots of raw material for windings, including in floor heat in the car.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Target's central location is here in the Twinkie Cities - this news got big attention here and it surprised a lot of people. Then the news was followed up with a report that the company's stock went up in value after the decision to close down those places.

Wouldn't you know it - working people lose their jobs and corporate elites profit.

I, for one, hope they reverse that decision.

They applied to a CCAA under the Canadian bankruptcy law, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think its reversible

I can see repair manuals will become popular.
To bad about the detonator chips that reset after a 5 yr lifespan. I'm going to promote the gas tank being on the roof instead of being part of the dash this round. Once the horse has the battery charged an e-motor using the same design as a new washing machine could be at each of the 4 wheels for the 'sporty model'. With a charger at home the transmission lines standing is lots of raw material for windings, including in floor heat in the car.

Fire fighters would love that.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
There was a time when Sony was a name for higher end, quality goods at a modest price. The Sony Store was a Mecca to that. Now they are just another brand from over there and the store has no more luster.
Now they have only name as the selling point rather than a store with no line ups and rif-raf lurking in the parking lot. The new store will be buy from home and at the $50 level shipping become free and then stores don't need an inventory or much of a warehouse.

They applied to a CCAA under the Canadian bankruptcy law, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think its reversible

Fire fighters would love that.
So do gravity fed carbs when electric fuel pumps quit.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Now they have only name as the selling point rather than a store with no line ups and rif-raf lurking in the parking lot. The new store will be buy from home and at the $50 level shipping become free and then stores don't need an inventory or much of a warehouse.

So do gravity fed carbs when electric fuel pumps quit.

You really know how to kill a thread MHz

There you hit upon one of the many issues re:retail in Canada-the distributorship racket.

Certain companies have 'rights' to sell wholesale quantities of certain products in Canada and if you're intending to sell those products in a retail operation you must buy from them-you can't just bring in a few containers of whatever to fill your shelves (or you can but it'll only work once).

So you pay their price/adding your markup or you find something else to sell all retailers here have that issue I used to deal with it weekly.

Canadian regulations can be overwhelming sometime.

We should really have government spend a little time every year to review some of our laws.
Call it a little legislative housekeeping if you will.