TKO Target can't handle the Canadian market

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Target pulling out of Canada, boo hoo..

Zellers products and over priced..

Maybe if they actually sold what they sell in the US Target Stores they would have suceded.

Not to good for 17 000 Canadians not that you give a sh!t

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Target pulling out of Canada, boo hoo..

Zellers products and over priced..

Maybe if they actually sold what they sell in the US Target Stores they would have suceded.

I wonder why they didn't? They certainly underestimated our climate/market.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Target sucked here. They had prices a lot higher than WalMart for comaprable stuff. Also, not as convenient as WalMart. I would drive by 3 WalMarts before I got to my closest Target.

Oops.

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/news/131618-target-missed-target.html

One of those Walmarts is in an old Zellers location. Target, in order to save some $$$ decided not to break the lease but let it lapse and then pick up a new lease. WalMart had a new lease within 15 minutes of the expiry before Target could execute their cost saving plan. So it is a WalMart soley for the purpose of keeping their competition out of the area. Brilliant move on WalMart's part. More bungling on the part of Target.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
When the boomers die will be the next economic difficulty.
You have been calling for economic doom for how many strait years now dark? And it still hasn't happened.

It's been happening since before I started moaning about it, you slow boiling frog you.
This forking thread is trying to enlighten you about the economic downturn but for some reason retailers all over the west dropping like flies fails to sink into your mind. You think Target got the shelving wrong and offered Canadians sub standard products. The problem is sub standard customers.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
It's been happening since before I started moaning about it, you slow boiling frog you.
This forking thread is trying to enlighten you about the economic downturn but for some reason retailers all over the west dropping like flies fails to sink into your mind. You think Target got the shelving wrong and offered Canadians sub standard products. The problem is sub standard customers.

You see anyone deing in the streets all over? Nope.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Target pulling out of Canada, boo hoo...Maybe if they actually sold what they sell in the US Target Stores they would have succeeded.
There you hit upon one of the many issues re:retail in Canada-the distributorship racket.

Certain companies have 'rights' to sell wholesale quantities of certain products in Canada and if you're intending to sell those products in a retail operation you must buy from them-you can't just bring in a few containers of whatever to fill your shelves (or you can but it'll only work once).

So you pay their price/adding your markup or you find something else to sell all retailers here have that issue I used to deal with it weekly.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
You see anyone deing in the streets all over? Nope.

Not yet but I do see empty Walmart and Canadian Tire parking lots in my own community everyday Angstrom. What we clearly have is a shrinking consumer base which usually means cash is tight. The Boomers aint going anywhere unless their mortages and cards are paid off.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
Not yet but I do see empty Walmart and Canadian Tire parking lots in my own community everyday Angstrom. What we clearly have is a shrinking consumer base which usually means cash is tight. The Boomers aint going anywhere unless their mortages and cards are paid off.

I think we doing just fine considering we produce next to nothing and still have one of the highest standard of living in the world.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I think we doing just fine considering we produce next to nothing and still have one of the highest standard of living in the world.

What the hell are you reading? Wait, oh my god! you're listening to CBC, and you watch FOX news. Considering the household debt problem in Canada and the grossly overinflated housing values coupled to the stagnant economy, no we don't have the best standard of living in the world, we do have a mirage sustained by debt.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Can't jail one banker or crooked ceo but let an Indian bootleg one item from the Rez store and 15 divisions of swat show up before the end of the same week. Perhaps if they were to refocus some of that energy, clearly the tools are already in place.

Delay the cases the 20 years that is typical and they could sell a lot of stuff before they were closed down legally.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Interesting that such a large moderately successful business from the US couldn't pull it together here.

The 2 biggest complaints about target: appalling inventory levels and prices.

If they'd managed to hire good managers and paid them a decent salary they'd have managed to maintain appropriate inventory levels and people would have shopped there regardless if the prices hadn't been the same as in the states.
I am not a shopper so I couldn't care less about Target, never purchased anything there and likely walked through the closest store once. EVERY Canadian Target shopper that I know said

• it was still cheaper to drive to the States and hit the Targets there
  • there was limited inventory on the shelves here
  • Walmart was cheaper
  • Canadian expectation was for the same level of goods and service that they had experienced across the border and it didn't happen and in fact didn't even come close