Butter is back

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Margarine giant admits defeat in the battle of the spreads

It spent decades in the nutritional wilderness, blamed for heart disease, high cholesterol, and making people fat. But butter is back – and if you don’t believe us, ask the consumer goods colossus Unilever.

Billion-pound brands such as Flora have been at the heart of the Anglo-Dutch giant since its inception nearly a century ago. But the appetite for margarine seems to be melting around the world, forcing Unilever to admit defeat in the war against butter.

Last autumn, the company added butter to one of its spreads for the first time. Last week, Unilever said the move was paying off: although margarine sales were still down during its fourth quarter, shoppers in Germany had “responded positively” to the new-taste, “butter-based” Rama.

Butter is back: Margarine giant admits defeat in the battle of the spreads - News - Food & Drink - The Independent

margarine :lol:

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
I use butter in both cooking and baking. Sometimes there is simply no substitute.

There is no harm in using either butter or margarine, so long as you do not use it to excess. All things in moderation is the way to go.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Where does that leave this guy?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
meh, I like how I can store Becel in the fridge take it out and spread it, so sue me

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Me too. I tend to buy butter around the holidays though, some baking is just better with butter.
oh for sure, my bark crackers have to be made with butter....but for everyday use....Becel works okey dokey for me...gotta admit though I use double what I should

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
oh for sure, my bark crackers have to be made with butter....but for everyday use....Becel works okey dokey for me...gotta admit though I use double what I should

I don't really use it that much, not for toast or sandwiches or anything. I use it mostly in cooking. I find it subs for butter just fine for the most part.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I don't really use it that much, not for toast or sandwiches or anything. I use it mostly in cooking. I find it subs for butter just fine for the most part.
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? are you crazy? it is one of the great pleasures of bread....a ton of fat smacked down on it...don't tell me you are like my guy....oh, please just a tiny bit....dolp that s hit on it....yeah