George W. Bush on Leno

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
As you go on pretending that all is well and for everyone to keep quiet and endure.

The fact is you can't judge the true impact until it actually comes into effect for real.

Pretty much yeah. It was the reason why they were voted out in 2010 and it had little effect two years later on the Presidential election.

And I do not think anybody saw this coming the way it is. You remember... "If you like your plan you can keep it." People who had plans were told not to worry and they would not be affected. Many of them supported Obama. Obama lied... plain and simple.

I still think it is pretty tough to claim that people voted some Dems out of office in 2010, but in 2012 nobody had any idea what they were getting into so it was not an issue.

How successful have they been up to date?

Laws are changed all the time. This very program is in place because the government changed the law. I don't get what your point is.

They're just following the law.

They are working to maximize their profits within the constraints put forward by the government. I think it would be easier to just cut that step out.

And where does the government get their money? The citizens and corporations. The citizens who have any sort of job are going to pay... the corporations will start next year if this doesn't get fixed. That means folks who get health insurance through their employers will start getting walloped next year with higher premiums and cancelled plans.

The fact is that you guys are on the hook either way. Repealing the ACA doesn't change that.

It was better.

The costs in the US are astronomical for fairly poor overall results.

Yeah I am about done with him. At least he's amiable unlike the other bots.

Lol, thanks. I do agree that some people on this forum are less than amiable.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I still think it is pretty tough to claim that people voted some Dems out of office in 2010, but in 2012 nobody had any idea what they were getting into so it was not an issue.

The President lied and made it irrelevant.

"If you like your plan... you can keep it."

No worries.

Laws are changed all the time. This very program is in place because the government changed the law. I don't get what your point is.

This is another entitlement. How is Welfare reform going? Corporate subsidies?

They are working to maximize their profits within the constraints put forward by the government. I think it would be easier to just cut that step out.

So they all simply go out of business? That is not bright.

The fact is that you guys are on the hook either way. Repealing the ACA doesn't change that.

Sure it does... it will cost more. Millions are finding that out now. Come January they will owe more.

The costs in the US are astronomical for fairly poor overall results.

You're Michael Moore fan I gather.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
It's in effect right now, having an impact right now.
Nope. They have started the open enrollment phase. The actual healthcare plans don't actually come into effect until next year.

Healthcare is more than just signing up for a plan.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Nope. They have started the open enrollment phase. The actual healthcare plans don't actually come into effect until next year.

LMAO!!! Nice goal post shuffle.

You do that a lot eh.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

Ruff... we've moved beyond that. Everyone knows that the sign up is a disaster... but the real pain is becoming realized of what people are really having to pay.

The real pain is people being informed by the millions that they won't be keeping the plans they had and will be forced to the exchanges. After being lied to over and over.

They now realize that in January they will be poorer.

THAT is Obamacare.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
The President lied and made it irrelevant.

"If you like your plan... you can keep it."

No worries.

That statement certainly is coming back to haunt him, but anyone who has followed American politics knows that the ACA certainly was not irrelevant to the last few elections.

This is another entitlement. How is Welfare reform going? Corporate subsidies?

Healthcare is already an entitlement in the US. There is a massive bureaucracy in place to try to provide healthcare to people who cannot afford it and private companies can't turn people away who are in urgent need of care.

So they all simply go out of business? That is not bright.

Haha, in in your very last sentence you complained about corporate subsidies!

Sure it does... it will cost more. Millions are finding that out now. Come January they will owe more.

Again, we need to look at how this all works out on the whole. Providing more people with more coverage is obviously going to have a higher upfront cost, but the idea is to get the total expenditure down.

You're Michael Moore fan I gather.

Na, I really really dislike that man.

I do enjoy stats though, which paint a pretty grim picture of the US healthcare system. Obviously you can get some of the best care in the world in the US, if you can afford it, but the overall picture is a country that spends an insane amount of healthcare and stacks up quite poorly in a number of key health indicators.

Ruff... we've moved beyond that. Everyone knows that the sign up is a disaster... but the real pain is becoming realized of what people are really having to pay.

The real pain is people being informed by the millions that they won't be keeping the plans they had and will be forced to the exchanges. After being lied to over and over.

They now realize that in January they will be poorer.

THAT is Obamacare.
You and CDNBear clearly have not moved on from that....

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I personally don't think that doing this through the private insurance companies is the best way to go. I think a government option makes a lot more sense since it is much less convoluted, but the people in the US didn't support that, they supported this.
Yeah, gubmints are always more efficient than private businesses; everyone knows that.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Yeah, gubmints are always more efficient than private businesses; everyone knows that.
There is a very very mixed history of giving private companies contracts that involve government mandates.

If it was a totally free market, it would be a different story, but healthcare simply isn't that, especially under the ACA.

Nope, just calling it like I see it. You were wrong and just, well, simply ignored it and moved on, lol.

Good call, you were looking foolish anyways.
Maybe you can be more specific about what I was wrong about or avoided?