Corporate tax cuts are not working

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Salary is important, but meaningless if not put into the context of corporate profit.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Harper never banned unions. If he had these workers would still have jobs.
This is one of the three reasons so many sawmills closed in BC. We managed to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. Catalyst Paper is now in the same position and may very well declare bankruptcy because one union in one of the three mills would not agree to concessions required for a refinancing plan. We are not talking huge cuts either and many of these mill workers make over $80 a year.

Canadian Airlines International suffered that very fate because Buzz Hargrove believed that he could be the tail that wagged the dog... CUPE (or whatever union it was) learned that without the financing commitment to stand behind the corporate entity - there is no company and therefore no jobs.

That union rolled the dice on roughly 10 thousand jobs (or there abouts) and that bet cost all of those people their livelihood.

Salary is important, but meaningless if not put into the context of corporate profit.

Salaries don't exist without corp profits MF... You be wise to get it through your head that no one invests in a risk-venture unless there is a form security along with profit... The employees salaries are a byproduct of this basic relationship.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
There should be no corporate tax because any expenses corporations have are passed on to the consumer.

So then, do you have the data in hand to show the reduction in consumer prices as the corporate tax rate has dropped?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
World War II.

In WWII, it was increased spending, not tax increases, that stimulated the economy. However, tax increases helped to make the spending increases more sustainable over the long run so as to avoid debt problems later. We still had debt problems along with inflation, but tax increases helped to mitigate against them at least somewhat.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
So then, do you have the data in hand to show the reduction in consumer prices as the corporate tax rate has dropped?

There has been no proven causal relationship. Businesses are hoarding their additional profit from tax revenue instead of putting them toward jobs, operations, price cuts or any other economy boosting measures.

The government needs to step in and begin regulating markets a bit more.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
No. The corporations first duty is to maximize profit to its shareholders because they are the ones risking their capital. The wages the corporation negotiates with its emplyees cannot be tied to profits because then the workers would get $0 in the years where the company reports a loss. A bonus might be paid in very profitable years but that also would have to be in the negotiations.

Read my post about competition.

We've been through this before; gov't regs are what caused the mess in the first place telling US banks, through the Community Reinvestment Act, that the banks must make loans to folks who had no way of ever paying them back.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
There has been no proven causal relationship. Businesses are hoarding their additional profit from tax revenue instead of putting them toward jobs, operations, price cuts or any other economy boosting measures.

Have you ever been in business before MF?

Money gets reinvested every day by damn near every company in existence. That said, if you are somehow under the impression that it's a company's duty to pursue expansion when the market doesn't support it or price cuts, you're on glue.

With that logic, why not demand that the employers cut wages and then pass that 'savings' along to the consumer instead of taking a run at the corp itself?... Would you personally sign up for that in terms of taking a pay cut so as the corp could reduce the sticker-price?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
When a corporation hoards profit, it not only hurts the economy, but also its own industry in the long run.

And to Walter's point about Government regulation, any regulation must be in the interest of consumers, naturally.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
When a corporation hoards profit, it not only hurts the economy, but also its own industry in the long run.

Who says corps are hoarding anything?... You?

Fact is, when times are lean (as they are now) those corps have to sock away some cash to maintain ops for the duration of the down cycle to keep the doors open and pay their people.

I think that your view of the process looks to the short term and does not consider the medium and long term responsibilities, let alone the myriad of variables that are factors in the equation.

And to Walter's point about Government regulation, any regulation must be in the interest of consumers, naturally.

We are over regulated as is and all it has really accomplished is to fatten the size of gvt which is, you guessed it, more money towards the cost of a product/service that gets tacked onto the prices of what you pay.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
For years, the London plant was what kept EMD alive, but under Progress Rail, they obtained a huge facility inMuncie, 3/4 of which is presently empty. With the incentives given by the US, the move to close London would not have been a surprise to anyone.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
For years, the London plant was what kept EMD alive, but under Progress Rail, they obtained a huge facility inMuncie, 3/4 of which is presently empty. With the incentives given by the US, the move to close London would not have been a surprise to anyone.

Of course.

And the government knew that they would take the tax breaks and run.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Thanks. The so-called tax break was not given to EMD, it was give to companies who bought locomotives from EMD allowing them to deduct the cost of the locomotives at a quicker rate than other capital expenditures and thus, it was hoped, increase the purchase of machines built by the London plant. CNR bought over 40 locomotives after Harper introduced the incentive.
Thanks for clearing that up.

So what is Fuzzy talking about then?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Me neither, but I heard it was in the neighbourhood of $5 million delivered in 2008, by none other than Harper himself.

My understanding from the local business gossip around town was that there was never any intention of making a long term go of this plant. Why exactly they purchased in the first place no one is sure. I don't know what they paid for it initially but it seems like it would be a lot of cash outlay for just capital assets but then it's hard to sometimes guess when one doesn't know the long term business plan. Either way, the writing was apparently on the wall from day one.

I also understand, and I may be wrong here, that most if not all of the money was a subsidy intended to provide incentive for buyers to purchase product made at this plant. So you're looking at a 5 million dollar investment to derive benefit in the local economy over a 4 year period. Seems excessive for four years to me.