Kite flying weather?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Heavy winds in southern Alberta are creating potentially dangerous driving conditions and wreaking havoc in Calgary.

Calgary police are urging residents to stay indoors, as flying debris is becoming a hazard on roads and walkways. The powerful winds have downed power lines, knocked down trees, and even ripped off three LRT crossing arms, causing delays. They've also broken multiple windows in downtown's TD Square.

The falling shards of glass damaged a vehicle, but there are no reports of any injuries so far, said duty inspector Keith Cain.
City of Calgary closes downtown core to traffic | CTV Calgary

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Hubby's heading there for work for the week. Looks like I may as well keep him home until tonight and hope conditions improve in the meantime.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well, thank goodness the first half of his week isn't at their downtown offices, they're potentially closed because of wind damage.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
On the phone with hubby now and he says there are signs down all over the highway

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
149 kph gusts today,I have some good video of a semi and pup allmost going over while driving highway #2 just before claresholm.
this has been about 5 days so far of high winds,finally calmed down now.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
149 kph gusts today,I have some good video of a semi and pup allmost going over while driving highway #2 just before claresholm.
this has been about 5 days so far of high winds,finally calmed down now.

CTV had coverage of a semi that had been pushed over and was sliding along the side of the highway - yikes. A storm that rolled in around noon yesterday knocked out power to many areas in BC - ours was out for 8 hours. It took 20 minutes to reach BC Hydro as there were so many people phoning in to report outages - must have been all the Lions' fans worried about missing the game. :lol: