Teddy Bear Grief

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Whether Jack was technically entitled to a state funeral is secondary to 1. It didn't appear to do any harm and 2. It was clearly a minority of Canadians that objected to it and 3. It appears to have bound Canadian with good will. :smile:

MMMM. ...really ...I have no problem with the state funeral.

For the reasons you state......

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Certainly there was and always will be disagreement with Jack's politics or Harper's politics or anyone's politics. That's all part of the right to an opinion. It's people who don't respect that right who are the source of every war that has ever been fought. Some folk so dearly love a reason for armies.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Certainly there was and always will be disagreement with Jack's politics or Harper's politics or anyone's politics. That's all part of the right to an opinion. It's people who don't respect that right who are the source of every war that has ever been fought. Some folk so dearly love a reason for armies.

Perhaps realism comes into it somewhere! :lol:

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Especially when caught in an ice storm, flooding, an airplane crash, looking for a missing child, fighting wildfires, clearing snow from the streets of TO because civil servants are lazy:), rescuing hyphenated Canadians.

Yeah people love their armies, when it's convenient.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Especially when caught in an ice storm, flooding, an airplane crash, looking for a missing child, fighting wildfires, clearing snow from the streets of TO because civil servants are lazy:), rescuing hyphenated Canadians.

I was worried the entire time we had so many of our soldiers in Afghanistan. What if it snowed in Toronto?

(That will never get old! ;) )

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Spin away.... You know as well as anyone else the purpose of an army is war. The reasons people join the Service are many and varied. I went in to fly. Funny how they tend to weed the kill-crazies out - except in time of war when they're great front-line-filler

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Spin away.... You know as well as anyone else the purpose of an army is war. The reasons people join the Service are many and varied. I went in to fly. Funny how they tend to weed the kill-crazies out - except in time of war when they're great front-line-filler

Oh here comes the ugliness. The purpose of a military is war, yes and sad fact is sometimes war is necessary. The ignorance of some people is also a sad fact. Ye get my meanin.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
No ugliness - except from your vantage point. If we all thought alike, somehow I suspect you'd still find something to bitch about.

If we all thought alike that would be impossible.

When you say spin? You are saying that the things I cited were manufactured?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
If we all thought alike that would be impossible.

When you say spin? You are saying that the things I cited were manufactured?
Screw the mock indignation. We all know the services Armed Forces perform in emergencies in the off-season. We all know the purpose of armies is to fight wars. Spin is back-track-yap designed to discredit and/or put one's own view in favourable light.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Screw the mock indignation. We all know the services Armed Forces perform in emergencies in the off-season. We all know the purpose of armies is to fight wars. Spin is back-track-yap designed to discredit and/or put one's own view in favourable light.

What indignation are you talking about? Mock or otherwise?

How long were you in the forces? Did you become a pilot?

Spin has nothing to do with it. Just last week in Resolute Bay when the plane went down our armed forces responded and the exercise they were conducting was the exact scenario they responded too.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Five and a half years - four in Argus as AESOp (Airborne Electronic Sensor Operator) Didn't pass the physical for military flight training - didn't want to be a fighter pilot anyhow - but got a civil ticket that I held on to until heart stuff became an issue.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I think that some people are generally indifferent to the military because a lot of them don't see past the uniform or the stigma that comes with it. A lot of it comes down to education, which is why your remarks puzzle me, although you have your reasons I'm sure. I served 12 years, likely would be serving still and never viewed our army in the way it is represented by some.

War is an unfortunate part of the job. You sign the dotted line and have to accept that, but that does not make you a rabid dog often portrayed by ignorant idiots who know as much about the military as I know about scrap booking. Rick Mercer said it best and this is not verbatum, but when the Liberals ran that "SOLDIERS IN CITIES WITH GUNS CAMPAIGN AD" he said, "soldiers in cities? The last soldiers I met in a city was in St Johns and they didn't have any guns, when they pushed me out of a snowbank."

Prior to Afghanistan Canada was involved in the Korean War. After that they have served the people of Canada and the World sometimes at a cost. Spin has bugger all to do with it Wolf.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
What is so confusing about suppression being the root cause of resent, bitterness then outlash? I spent endless hours over cold water in search of submarines - not because the people onboard thought differently (though that was the root of it all) but because one boomer can mess up your whole way of life. As Argus wound down, it was time to move on. For me, since part of the job was search, the natural progression was with SARTech.

None of it changes the fact that armies were, first and foremost, the defense against someone else's hostile intentions.

Last edited: