Sun News Network leads CBC and CTV in ratings

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I actually don't care much for Sun News. I'm a traditionalist, I like the CTV setup.

But while were on the topic, will someone tell Brian Lilley to get a haircut.

That swirl on top of his head reminds me of

Steady now...hair today, gone tomorrow. ;)

p.s. I cut my hair for sport as you recall. :p

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well then! My apologies!
Pain is temporary, pride is forever.

For that apology, you got a thumbs up.

Although I find it odd that you apologize to Andem, but just ignore my posts when they trump your false hoods.

That's a lie. I don't find it odd at all.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
During the afternoon and in prime time, Sun News programming bested the state broadcaster's News Network by more than 30,000 viewers. CTV News Channel was a distant third.

While Canada Live - guest-hosted by Anita Sharma - reached 72,900 viewers, according to BBM ratings data, the CBC's afternoon programming only had an audience of 37,900. CTV logged 34,000 viewers during the same coveted 3-5 p.m. timeslot.
Even more remarkable is that while Charles Adler was reaching 82,300 viewers at 8 p.m. ET, the CBC could only muster an audience of 58,200. CTV was third place that night with 39,600 tuning in.

Later Friday, Byline with Brian Lilley tied the network record with an audience of 89,000. Sun News' 9 p.m. ET show throttled the meager 18,000-viewer audience for CTV, and nearly knocking the decades-old CBC newscast hosted by Peter Mansbridge off its taxpayer-funded pedestal. Joining the ratings successes, Ezra Levant's show The Source registered 57,000 viewers at 5 p.m. ET.
That crushed CTV's audience of 28,000 viewers and was within striking distance of CBC's audience of 59,200 over the same period.

These early ratings wins come at a time when Sun News is only available in about 5.5 million households, compared with CBC News Network in 10.6 million homes and CTV in 8.5 million.

"What makes these numbers truly impressive is that we don't receive over a billion dollars in taxpayer support to make it happen," said Sun News spokesman Luc Lavoie.

"On top of that, we don't have anywhere near the household distribution of CBC or CTV."

Sun News : Sun News on top

I watched Levant once on that channel, and he was an intellectual lightweight. Not that I necessarily disagreed with him on some points, even many points, but found his defence of his position to be meagre at best.

I still agree with cutting funding to the CBC, but just saying that it's sad that so many would tune in to trash TV.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
It's a fuking news channel, who cares? They're all biased in their own way and frankly none are worth watching considering you can get the news via the internet hours before it is broadcast.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
It's a fuking news channel, who cares? They're all biased in their own way and frankly none are worth watching considering you can get the news via the internet hours before it is broadcast.
Since all the rest are biased to the left...what is all the fuss about one biased to the right:smile:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If you understand the ratings system and a survey you would quickly understand this is
little more than a joke. First of all surveys and broadcast ratings are done for economic
purposes. To Sell Advertising. This survey would not net the network one thin dime.
Sun News has limited range at best, among people who don't know what they are watching
or listening to half the time.
A ratings book would be held across the country and the official one is the Bureau of
Broadcast Measurement. The working of a ratings book go like this.

Every fifteen minutes the hour is counted. How? from 9 to 915 you are a listener from
915 to 930 you are two listeners and so on for each hour. By the time ten rolls around
if you fill out your ratings book for that stations you are four listeners. If you jump to a
different station you are 3 listeners for Sun and 1 listener for someone else.

A survey asks about 1500 people across the country what they think.
A Ratings period runs over six weeks with two weeks being the prime week for those
chosen to fill out their hourly and daily diary.

I agree Sun News could win a market share in a regional or even a city of Toronto survey
perhaps even a ratings diary in a specific market, but if you are trying to tell me that Sun
News is number 1 in Canada, you are delusional. For the moment CTV, CBC and Global
are likely the most watched. and will be for some time to come because nationally Sun
News simply does not have the resources to compete financially on a national level, not
yet at least anyway. For someone to make the statement especially if it was Sun News.
it like George Bush landing on the aircraft carrier saying Mission Accomplished in the
Middle East. We all know the truth about that now too don't we

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I agree Sun News could win a market share in a regional or even a city of Toronto survey
perhaps even a ratings diary in a specific market, but if you are trying to tell me that Sun
News is number 1 in Canada, you are delusional. For the moment CTV, CBC and Global
are likely the most watched. and will be for some time to come because nationally Sun
News simply does not have the resources to compete financially on a national level, not
yet at least anyway. For someone to make the statement especially if it was Sun News.
it like George Bush landing on the aircraft carrier saying Mission Accomplished in the
Middle East. We all know the truth about that now too don't we

You are correct in that CTV, CBC, Global etc dominate the ratings, but I certainly wouldn't count Sun out, they're backed by Quebecor, which has a substantial media presence in this country.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Levant blowing his own horn. I wonder if he practices yoga to be able to pull that off?

I'm sure if the ratings went the other way you would be on the very top of the bandwagon blowing the horn...
I don't think you are as neutral or centrist as you claim to be...your leaning is definitely showing through;-)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I'm sure if the ratings went the other way you would be on the very top of the bandwagon blowing the horn...
I don't think you are as neutral or centrist as you claim to be...your leaning is definitely showing through;-)
It was a joke Sleepy. A friend once said the only reason he would learn yoga was to be flexable enough to blow his own horn. Knowing him he would die doing it, draining himself dry.