Need some advice please.

nickbroken

Apr 24, 2011
Hello all, I had some questions and not sure this is the right section but will give it a go since I was born in Alberta.

Long story short I was born in Lethbridge until the age of 5. My family moved us to the states at and have lived there for the past 25 years. I am not what you would call here legally I guess and am finally looking at moving back to Canada. I was wondering how the job market was in Alberta for masonry? I haven't been there since I was 5 most of my family lives there but just not sure about much there? Any information on culture, good areas to live, ect I would be most grateful. Thank you.

Ugg also, was wondering what documentation I would need to get over the border into Canada? I only have my birth certificate.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Hello all, I had some questions and not sure this is the right section but will give it a go since I was born in Alberta.

Long story short I was born in Lethbridge until the age of 5. My family moved us to the states at and have lived there for the past 25 years. I am not what you would call here legally I guess and am finally looking at moving back to Canada. I was wondering how the job market was in Alberta for masonry? I haven't been there since I was 5 most of my family lives there but just not sure about much there? Any information on culture, good areas to live, ect I would be most grateful. Thank you.

Ugg also, was wondering what documentation I would need to get over the border into Canada? I only have my birth certificate.

That will do it, though you are going to have to do some explaining. If you were born here, no one can keep you out.
But you do have to prove you were born here. As for jobs, they're out there but it's not the boom it was. A good mason can find work in any major city in Canada because they are always building. Run of the mill is not in short supply though. You should go the the Canadian Consulate where you are and talk to them about repatriation.

nickbroken

Apr 24, 2011
Eh Repatriation? How does that work? I have talked to a consulate before. They more or less told me to take my birth certificate and go to the border, but I think it was the border agency told me I would need other things. Or maybe that was the passport agency. Thanks!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Eh Repatriation? How does that work? I have talked to a consulate before. They more or less told me to take my birth certificate and go to the border, but I think it was the border agency told me I would need other things. Or maybe that was the passport agency. Thanks!

Well, repatriation was not really the perfect word and I used it light heartedly. The problem here is proving you were born here. Depending on what information the hospital where you were born has, people who can vouch for you and the reasons you came to be a Canadian citizen living in the US without legal authorization. You may also have to show that you have enough money to support yourself here much like an immigrant without being entitled to health insurance coverage, social safety net or such devices for a few months.

As birth certificates are not picture identification it may need to be backed up by your American identification. Letters of reference and so on.

nickbroken

Apr 24, 2011
Ahhh Ok thank you very much. Yeah I figured they would just let me across and I'd go get my SIN card and a pohot ID and go about my life haha. Thank you again.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
Ahhh Ok thank you very much. Yeah I figured they would just let me across and I'd go get my SIN card and a pohot ID and go about my life haha. Thank you again.

I think you should have no problems at the border, as long as you have some other piece of Identification. Did you go to school in the US? Do you have a Driver's Licence with picture ID from down there?

After that you probably just need to go to a "Service Canada" office in Lethbridge (or elsewhere) and they will get you set up with a SIN#.

nickbroken

Apr 24, 2011
Hmm yes I went to school, no no photo ID, thus the not fully legal thing. I dunno I am trying to get something from the consulate/passport ect. But they have told me all I need to show is my birth certificate and that they will ask why I was in America ect.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If you were born in Canada you are considered Canadian period. Now as for being in America,
that can be explained simply by the fact that you moved with your parents. Are they Canadians
or Americans? They can help to clarify your situation, with documentation or information that in
fact explains how long you were there and the legal status for being there. It could be that you
are legal where you are as well. The explanation that you moved there as a child will be
sufficient I am sure as long as you have the documentation that says you are Canadian.

nickbroken

Apr 24, 2011
Ah yes, They are Canadian. Father is Dual. and no sadly I am not here legally it's a long story but it is what it is time to move on. Thank you for the information.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Hmm yes I went to school, no no photo ID, thus the not fully legal thing. I dunno I am trying to get something from the consulate/passport ect. But they have told me all I need to show is my birth certificate and that they will ask why I was in America ect.

Are you sure you're not going to be setting off alarms regarding your family? If you aren't legal there, I suspect you're not alone in that and this could open a can of worms now that I think about it.

Maybe it's a better idea just to cross the border as an American and then apply for Canadian documentation.

nickbroken

Apr 24, 2011
No I won't set off any alarms, my father is a naturalized USC, my mother is a permanent residence. All my brothers and sisters are American. I just kinda got the short end of the straw in the matter. I am not American. I have no legal document since I am considered an "illegal immigrant" here.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
No I won't set off any alarms, my father is a naturalized USC, my mother is a permanent residence. All my brothers and sisters are American. I just kinda got the short end of the straw in the matter. I am not American. I have no legal document since I am considered an "illegal immigrant" here.

If you do come to Canada think health care - Buy insurance to cover you for the 3 months if you need it - Not sure if you do - That is about the norm - some provinces have a 3 month waiting period but that would apply to immigrants and other that move from one prov to another - the prov they moved from covers that 3 month period -

Where you would fit in is I do not know - but you can write to whatever prov health care authority and ask if you are covered.Get it in writing. What someone told you on the phone is not worth the paper it was not written on. get the drift - Paperwork & documentation - Critical.

Skilled labor, not the run of the mill type is always in demand. Hope this helps.

Ah yes, They are Canadian. Father is Dual. and no sadly I am not here legally it's a long story but it is what it is time to move on. Thank you for the information.

Forgot this - Apply for a passport thru your local consulate - Walk in - say i need help filling this out - put them to work.

nickbroken

Apr 24, 2011
Ahh yes thank you Goober, I will look into that. Granted I have never been to a doctor in my life so I am sure 3 months won't really matter.

Yeah I will have to go to Los Angelos to talk to a consulate since I think there are only 4 around here. What is run of the mill skilled labor up there anyways if I might ask? I am use to stone,brick, block masonry, but I am sure I could handle learning any other type of trade.