Moving to Calgary

lifesabeach

May 16, 2010
Hey guys right now I live in Guelph Ontario, I'm 21, Only finished grade 11,and I work part time at Galaxy Cinema. Right now I hate my life and I'm considering to move to Calgary in search of something different. So at the end of this month I'm heading to Calgary with only 500 bucks in my pocket.

I'm not afraid to live in a homeless shelter for a few weeks until I get back on my feet and I was wondering if there is any positive advice you guys can give me.

CHRISWEATHERBEE

May 16, 2010
SYDNEY N.S.
Hey i took off when i was your age its not easy i wood live i one of those shelters to if i had to, go tocash jobs down town calgary, i lived there in 2008 it was an asome city i would love to go back but like you only got 800.00 saved up,love to meet if your interrested i am from sydney n,s.you should wait to get more money in pocket.lifes hardif i knew you i would go with you i am 30.

CHRISWEATHERBEE

May 16, 2010
SYDNEY N.S.
Cash jobs is temp services you can make a 100.00 a day till you get better work,hold you over to get better place to live.its only a 129.00 for u to fly to calgary ab. From where your at, 280.00 for me to fly.

CHRISWEATHERBEE

May 16, 2010
SYDNEY N.S.
Phone me at 902 304 5329-chris plus if you want to travel or hit the open roads or meet up would like to head west male or female get a hold of i.i am in sydney n.s. Its 5p.m. Where i am at.

lifesabeach

May 16, 2010
Cash jobs is temp services you can make a 100.00 a day till you get better work,hold you over to get better place to live.its only a 129.00 for u to fly to calgary ab. From where your at, 280.00 for me to fly.

I'm taking the Greyhound. Which I think is around the same price range. Do you know the certain address of these temp services?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Hey guys right now I live in Guelph Ontario, I'm 21, Only finished grade 11,and I work part time at Galaxy Cinema. Right now I hate my life and I'm considering to move to Calgary in search of something different. So at the end of this month I'm heading to Calgary with only 500 bucks in my pocket.

I'm not afraid to live in a homeless shelter for a few weeks until I get back on my feet and I was wondering if there is any positive advice you guys can give me.

Hey, you can change location but you can't get away from yourself. If you are smart you'll stay put and get some more education, rather than tear assing off to some strange place. Sometimes changing location is advantageous but generally it's not.

lifesabeach

May 16, 2010
It would be the smarter decision to stay put. But I never said it was a smart idea. I've traveled for a good part of a year a couple years back moved to Salt Spring Island then Victoria and then I live in Fort McMurray for 10 months. And then I decided to come back to Guelph Ontario. Which has to be one of the worst decisions in my life because I have been having nothing but bad luck and nothing to show for it. Just a **** job and a crappy dream. I dislike Ontario and I loved Alberta and I can find a **** job in Calgary with out breaking a sweat. So I would be in the same position as I am in now. But in Calgary. Schooling is my main priority after I'm settled in.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It would be the smarter decision to stay put. But I never said it was a smart idea. I've traveled for a good part of a year a couple years back moved to Salt Spring Island then Victoria and then I live in Fort McMurray for 10 months. And then I decided to come back to Guelph Ontario. Which has to be one of the worst decisions in my life because I have been having nothing but bad luck and nothing to show for it. Just a **** job and a crappy dream. I dislike Ontario and I loved Alberta and I can find a **** job in Calgary with out breaking a sweat. So I would be in the same position as I am in now. But in Calgary. Schooling is my main priority after I'm settled in.

That sounds a little better. S.S.I. is a neat place but I wouldn't bet on the job situation. Calgary generally has lots of jobs and good institutions of higher learning.

lifesabeach

May 16, 2010
Yeah SSI is nice place if you got the money. But if you go there with just a couple hundred buck and thinking everything will work out. Your wrong. Hence the move to Fort Mac.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Unemployment rate in Alberta is still at an all time high.

Your best bet....suck it up buttercup and get a fricken education. Grade 11 will get you sweet dick all. You can't even register with the apprentishp board with a lousy grade 11.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Listen to gerry and - don't work for cash anywhere. Take the time to realize that when you work for cash (under the table payment) you take away your right to Employment Insurance when you may need it the most.

lifesabeach

May 16, 2010
I understand Gerry. But the decision is already made and like said b4 when i get back on my feet. Education is number one. And you can get a minimum wage full time job with only a grade 11.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Calgary is the best place for you and after a year you will appreciate Guelph more.

Get some good long johns and anything downfilled because you'll need it.

Join a national group here so you will have contacts in Calgary to help you get on your feet more quickly.

Good luck

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Listen to gerry and - don't work for cash anywhere. Take the time to realize that when you work for cash (under the table payment) you take away your right to Employment Insurance when you may need it the most.

Not to mention that you are getting no credit toward C.P.P.- seems banal now but 65 comes pretty fast.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Calgary is the best place for you and after a year you will appreciate Guelph more.

Get some good long johns and anything downfilled because you'll need it.

Join a national group here so you will have contacts in Calgary to help you get on your feet more quickly.

Good luck

Nah, that's more like High Level gear. :lol::lol::lol:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Robust employment growth in several provinces

Employment in Ontario increased by 41,000 in April, bringing gains since July 2009 to 109,000 (+1.7%). The unemployment rate was unchanged at 8.8%, as more people participated in the labour market.

In April, employment rose by 35,000 in Quebec, and the unemployment rate edged down to 7.9%. Since July 2009, employment in that province has grown by 91,000 (+2.4%).

In British Columbia, employment gains of 13,000 in April pushed the unemployment rate down 0.6 percentage points to 7.3%. Since July 2009, employment in the province has risen by 55,000 (+2.4%).

Employment in Alberta rose by 10,000 in April, and the unemployment rate edged down to 7.4%. Despite April's gain, Alberta is the only province with no employment growth since July 2009.

Employment also grew in Manitoba in April, up 7,000, pushing the unemployment rate down 0.3 percentage points to 4.9%, the lowest in the country.

Latest release from the Labour Force Survey. Friday, May 7, 2010