What's your gripe with Grapes?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Not only have I met the man, I donate to two charities because of him, and they are the only charities I donate to.

The man is an icon, a hero and an all around straight shooter.

Sure he shoots his mouth off, but so does the bulk of this forum. He's actually got the guts to say it in real life.

So bring it, what's you gripe with Grapes?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I've never heard him called that before. He does say it like it is. I like him.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
An icon?? give me a break. A hero? What had he done? He is an arrogant a$$, couldn't coach a team if his life depended on it. His Mississauga maddogs or whatever ther were called did really well didn't they? All he does is promote fighting in hochey, and insults whoever doesn't agree with him. On top of that, most of the time he doesn't know how to dress. Want me to continue??

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
An icon?? give me a break. A hero? What had he done? He is an arrogant a$$, couldn't coach a team if his life depended on it. His Mississauga maddogs or whatever ther were called did really well didn't they? All he does is promote fighting in hochey, and insults whoever doesn't agree with him. On top of that, most of the time he doesn't know how to dress. Want me to continue??
Besides making CBC's top ten Greatest Canadians, his work with Rose Cherry's Home for Kids, and wounded warriors, to name but two.

The man is also a quintessential figure in Canadian hockey, whether you like it or not.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Besides making CBC's top ten Greatest Canadians, his work with Rose house, and wounded warriors, to name but two.

The man is also a quintessential figure in Canadian hockey, whether you like it or not.

Doesn't surprise me that he made CBC's list, since he works for them. Greatest? No way. So what he has a couple of charities? Many others do too. As I said before , he was a failure as a coach.

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Yep, he's done a lot for charity and he's a great spokesman for the game of hockey.

He's also a legend in his own mind.

Let's put him and Lowell Green in a room together and let them duke it out.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Like I said...:roll:

You've brought new meaning to "lame" arguments Risus.

No lame argument. He has 2 charities. So do other people. What else has he done besides promoting fighting in hockey to sell his rock 'em videos? NOTHING besides run his mouth off. No way he's a hero, icon, or a great Canadian. End of discussion.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
No lame argument. He has 2 charities. So do other people. What else has he done besides promoting fighting in hockey to sell his rock 'em videos? NOTHING besides run his mouth off. Ho way he's a hero, icon, or a great Canadian. End of discussion.
:lol:

Don't blow a gasket there skippy!

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I like him away from hockey night in canada, he tells good
stories about old time hockey when he played, very interesting, but on HNIC he is acting, and most times sounds
like a dithering old man who has demetia.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I like him away from hockey night in canada, he tells good
stories about old time hockey when he played, very interesting, but on HNIC he is acting, and most times sounds
like a dithering old man who has demetia.

Yeah, on HNIC, he's just a bad actor going through the motions of the idiocy he's expected to say.

But people lap it up for some reason.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Wifey met the guy in the 80s I think. Said he's a really nice guy who is not at all like his tv persona. She said his tv persona is funny and reminds her of a sports-minded Archie Bunker wearing the fabric off some 1960s mobile home couch.
I've never heard Cherry called "Grapes" before.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Wifey met the guy in the 80s I think. Said he's a really nice guy who is not at all like his tv persona. She said his tv persona is funny and reminds her of a sports-minded Archie Bunker wearing the fabric off some 1960s mobile home couch.

I have heard the same thing about him from mutual acquaintances in Toronto. And I agree with Anna...I think he's hilarious and quite entertaining.