Help me find Sober People

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
While I always enjoy a good Scotch, the greatest adult beverage Scotland ever gave to the world is Drambuie, arguably, the finest drink, EVER.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I know nothing about Bourbon, and I've never drank any rye that I can actually say I liked. As for being "down market", I've heard several others who I wouldn't consider uneducated snobs, view it similarly to S.J. Would an uneducated snob say he prefers Cadillacs to Chevrolets?
Only an idiot would prefer a bottom-level Cadillac to a Corvette.

Case closed.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
While I always enjoy a good Scotch, the greatest adult beverage Scotland ever gave to the world is Drambuie, arguably, the finest drink, EVER.

Drambuie, excellent liquor, highly spiced. It also comes in different varieties, like Scotch. You can get 12 year old Drambuie, 16 years old Drambuie etc. It is a very good after dinner drink.

I am also a liquors fan, I have a wide selection of liquors (all bought in duty free shops). I have cointreau, Grand Marnier (both orange flavored), Frangelico (hazel nut flavor), Crème de Menthe, Tia Maria (coffee flavor), all excellent after dinner liquors. I also had a bottle of Pernod (aniseed flavored liquor) a while ago. Also I always have the old standby, Bailey’s Irish Cream on hand.

One liquor I specially like is the Benedictine (produced by the Benedictine monks). It has the flavor of saffron and almonds. One variant of Benedictine is a liquor called B & B. It is a mixture of Benedictine and Brandy (hence the name).

And of course, who can forget the Port, the king of after dinner liquors.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hello,
I am looking for individuals living an alcohol and drug free lifestyle and am looking for ideas on where to find these people in Edmonton. Does anyone have any ideas on sober activities in and around the city?

Meet up with Baha'is, Muslims, Buddhists, and maybe members of other religious communities that don't drink. Try a different one every week, expand your network of contacts, and then after shopping around, go back to where you feel comfortable. Many of them will likely have non-religious friends who don't drink too. After all, birds of a feather flock together. Many vegetarians don't drink too. Just some ideas there.

I don't know if you're religious or not, but I do know how difficult it is for a non-religious person to not drink; I'd been there once; that's when we notice how much drinking is expected of us in Canadian society.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That lets me out; I am a life time abstainer of non alcoholic drinks. Just kidding, but I do enjoy alcohol.

But if you find alcohol free people anywhere, it is likely to be Alberta. Religious right is strong there, and religious right does not drink alcohol (at least in public). Now here in Ontario, we represent the den of iniquity, we are not pure, Godly people like the Albertans.

Strange that. I'd chosen to turn to a teetotaller lifestyle long before I'd adopted any Faith. The only difference is that in a religious community, it's easier to organize, whereas an irreligious teetotaller does have to look much harder to find others like himself, unless of course there are secular teetotaller organizations that I don't know about. Hmmm... something to look up now, as it's peaked my curiosity.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That's kinda what gave me the idea for the website, then I realized that it would be useful to people who didn't drink or do drugs for various reasons (students, religious people). If people recovering from addictions aren't supported properly after treatment, ie: live in seclusion or with the wrong type of person, they definately are likely to fall back into old habbits.

That's a good point. Some teetotallers are in fact alcoholics or have at least addictive personalities. Their alcoholism can in fact sometimes be the very thing that leads them towards non-drinking religions such as Islam, the Baha'i Faith, or Buddhism, etc. They're attracted to a whole organized community of non-drinkers. Those who don't find religion, unless they can find an organized community of non-drinkers of some kind, are more likley to relapse, seeing how alcohol pervades our society and culture, often expencting us to drink on special events, etc. What some casual drinkers might not realise is that for an alcoholic or those with addictive personalities, even casual drinking on occasion can trigger a relapse.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Erin, I admire your attempt.

Unfortunately, you're not going to find many religious people who are willing to live their life according to one small aspect of their faith. If someone's religion calls for them to not drink, they may not drink, but, they likely don't have such an issue with it that they will avoid friends and family who do drink, or feel the need to sequester themselves away from alcohol in a specialized living arrangement.

It may very likely end up being of much more help to recovering alcoholics, but then, who really wants to live with a recovering alcoholic if you want to avoid alcohol? They are most notorious for not staying recovered all the time.

Ultimately, I think the reasons, and ways, that people avoid alcohol, are going to be so incredibly varied that the idea of trying to pair people as roommates will be a large challenge. I'd love to see it work out for you. Let us know how it goes.

Some abstaining alcoholics, even if they haven't touched alcohol for years, would still consider themselves alcoholics owing to the fact that though they no longer have a craving, also know that casual or moderate drinking isn't an option for them. The only way you could tell them apart from regular folks is precisely in that they are also teetotallers.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Strange that. I'd chosen to turn to a teetotaller lifestyle long before I'd adopted any Faith. The only difference is that in a religious community, it's easier to organize, whereas an irreligious teetotaller does have to look much harder to find others like himself, unless of course there are secular teetotaller organizations that I don't know about. Hmmm... something to look up now, as it's peaked my curiosity.

Machjo, how about Alcoholics Anonymous?

I remember listening to a British comic once in Britain. British people don’t drink much water. Since it doesn’t get hot there, it is not necessary to drink water either; a pint of laager does just fine.

Anyway, the comic said “Do you know that in USA they use water for drinking, and put ice in it to kill the taste?”

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Machjo, how about Alcoholics Anonymous?

I thought Alcoholics Anonymous specialized in helping alcoholics specifically, not all teetotallers. So if you're a non-religious and non-alcoholic teetotaller, it could be useful to have a local secular organization for local teetotallers generally, and not alcoholics specifically.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I should add to my second-to last post that even for non-alcoholic teetotallers with no religious affiliation, that the only time I had a problem with drinking prior to adopting any Faith was when I was in the infantry. Other than that, now that I think back on it, it was generally easy enough to avoid alcohol. So I suppose a secular teetotaller organization would mainly be useful for recovering alcoholics and others who simply want to make non-drinking friends. Perhaps it could be thought of as a second step after alcoholics anonymous for alcoholics, and as a general meeting ground for other non-religious teetotallers who just want to make other non-drinking friends.

I guess it depends on the local community too. As one poster mentioned above, there are also many teetotallers on university campuses too, but I suppose such an organization might be especially useful in smaller drinking towns.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I should add that a secular general teetotaller organization (to be distinguished from AA, which limits itself to alcoholics only) would likely be especially appreciated by non-drinking soldiers in military towns.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
By the way, SJP: is the teetotaller lifestyle a left-wing issue or a right-wing issue in your opinion? And what's the Liberal Party's stance on it?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
By the way, SJP: is the teetotaller lifestyle a left-wing issue or a right-wing issue in your opinion? And what's the Liberal Party's stance on it?

I guess there's some who would try to make it a political issue, if so maybe they could tell us which political persuasion prefers apple pie. :lol::lol: