Help enstate Tims Law (greyhound bus murder)

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
You missed my point. There is not even a trial where the McClean family can get a bit of closure. If you don't think having a psychopath stab, behead, and mutilate a young son in public, not even mentioning the cannibalism, is worse from the family's point of view than your average run of the mill shooting, you are writing in a vacuum. McClean's family will be having nightmares over this for as long as they live.

Why would a trial give them closure? They'd get to hear all the details over and over again, not to mention the ensuing media coverage. I don't see how that would be helpful. They would learn nothing new, but have to continue reliving it day after day in the public eye. They know what happened to their son. They know who did it. They know what our law deems as appropriate punishment for the mentally ill. That's all a trial could tell them.

I think it's appropriate btw. Someone who can't distinguish reality can't be criminally responsible for their actions.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
We have rights juan, and until we prove we are a threat to ourselves or others, the doctor's hands are tied in how they can keep you institutionalized... and rightly so. That status has now changed for Li. The way the docs can treat him has now changed drastically. He will not be able to dash off without meds. It won't be a question of 'how bad is he?' They know now.

And no... had Tim not been on that bus, someone still would have died. It wasn't Tim that he was after. He was on that path regardless of who showed up. Tim was random.

The problem I have with this is how can anyone be sure that a person stays on their medication? Say they use them for a couple of years and their pychosis is subdued, but then decides afterwards that they doesn't like the way the medication makes them feel so they go off them? Then they may be just as mentally unbalanced as they were before they took the medication.

Medication can be a good help, but how can anyone be made to take it? There are no certainties in this, unfortunately.:-(

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
Just wanted to also point out, their are thousands of people in this counrty who have the same mental illness as Mr. LI that DON'T murder. Why is mental illness such an acceptible excuse for his behavior??

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The problem I have with this is how can anyone be sure that a person stays on their medication? Say they use them for a couple of years and their pychosis is subdued, but then decides afterwards that they doesn't like the way the medication makes them feel so they go off them? Then they may be just as mentally unbalanced as they were before they took the medication.

Medication can be a good help, but how can anyone be made to take it? There are no certainties in this, unfortunately.:-(

That about sums up my last few girlfriends....

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
.... and someone please explain to me how its fair that this man, whether he is let out or not, HAS the OPPOURTUNITY TO BE RELEASED in as little as 90 days, and then annually after that?? Why not a manditory at least 10-20 years before he is re-assesed for release. Why is his first re-assesment and possible RELEASE in 90 DAYS! Whether he gets let out or not, he shouldn't have the chance yet IMO.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
.... and someone please explain to me how its fair that this man, whether he is let out or not, HAS the OPPOURTUNITY TO BE RELEASED in as little as 90 days, and then annually after that?? Why not a manditory at least 10-20 years before he is re-assesed for release. Why is his first re-assesment and possible RELEASE in 90 DAYS! Whether he gets let out or not, he shouldn't have the chance yet IMO.

First off, there is NO way that he will be released in 90 days.

Secondly, there are a lot of cases out there that will never be deemed "fair" and unfortunately this is one of them.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

...and what if the guy wasn't nuts? He'd jump through the hoops and be out in ten years anyhow. Does the name Carla Homolka ring any bells?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
He's in the loonie bin for life and won't be out on parole in 15 years like if he were in a penitentiary.. What more can they possibly want for justice? Cash money?

No, apparantly not, if medications are successful, he will walk the streets again,
with no real proof that he won't 'snap' again.
But, as another post stated, we let pedophiles out on the street, 'knowing' that
they will never be cured, taking the chance that another child might 'die'.
We just 'can't' be 100% safe from crime, that's life, it won't change.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
...and what if the guy wasn't nuts? He'd jump through the hoops and be out in ten years anyhow. Does the name Carla Homolka ring any bells?

If they hadn't have made that plea bargain(and had been able to find the hidden tapes without the slimeball lawyer's help and offer of a "plea for the tapes") then she would be incarcerated forever just like Bernardo. I hope karma has plans for her sometime in the future.

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009
First off, there is NO way that he will be released in 90 days.

Secondly, there are a lot of cases out there that will never be deemed "fair" and unfortunately this is one of them.

If their is NO WAY he will be released, then why is it even a option, why the chance, why the re-assessment so soon....

shrimpsey

Mar 6, 2009

Which is why I stated last night...

LI committed that murder. I agree with rehabilitation, but it was still him that did it, rehabilitate him, and then let him finish out his sentance in jail and then be released. I am sure there are many people in jail who don't recall, or were not of sane mind when doing what they did.

If someone commits a murder, not manslaughter, but actull murder, and its proven to be them without resonable doiubt, then I feel they should get a life sentance, or if deemed medically ill, like Li, then the equivalent 25 years, whether all be spent in a mental hospital, or some in a jail. He should not be free with no criminal record, living in society. He should have to serve at least what the minimum sentance is for murder with NO possibility of release, before he is re-assessed.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Just wanted to also point out, their are thousands of people in this counrty who have the same mental illness as Mr. LI that DON'T murder.

...and your point would be? Not everyone with pneumonia dies. Not everyone with diabetes needs insulin injections. Schizophrenia is an illness . Illnesses can affect people in different ways and to different extents.

Why is mental illness such an acceptible excuse for his behavior??

Because in a civilized society, we don't blame people for being sick.