Zealots

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Cliffy, the REAL mass hysteria was in 2008, when repressed guilt feelings and political correctness put the least prepared, least qualified and lest deserving anti-American Marxist in the White House.

The brain-washing of children happens every day by unionized teachers in public schools.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I do. That is why I change my mind like I change my socks.

That's probably good- it's how we "grow".

Cliffy, the REAL mass hysteria was in 2008, when repressed guilt feelings and political correctness put the least prepared, least qualified and lest deserving anti-American Marxist in the White House.

The brain-washing of children happens every day by unionized teachers in public schools.

Hey, Y.J. you attempt quite a bit of brain washing yourself- but to what avail? You've been spouting the same old rhetoric about Obama for two years, but I'll bet you can't name three people whose minds you've changed. You think Obama became president because he's Black, do you ever consider it's also partly due to the fact he's intelligent, articulate, personable, honest, energetic?

Careful Cliffy....your zealous is showing. Don't make me post a list of war mongering Democrats.

Yep, while political parties may separate people philosophically they don't separate them morally.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
And what is confession? (the sacrament)

I think you are referring to the Sacrament of Reconciliation which according to the laws of the Church is to be received at least once a year.

From Wikipedia;quote:
"There is evidence from the UK[19] and USA[20] that at least three-quarters of professed Catholics who commit serious sins do not adhere to this requirement of canon law"

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
JLM, I never hoped or attempted to change anyone's mind about Obama. Furthermore I did not say in my post which you quote that Obama's election was result of brain washing.

And as far as my spouting my rhetoric about Obama, how about mentioning those who have been spouting far more offensive and far more unsubstantiated nonsense about George W. Bush, for far longer? Maybe you, among them?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
"One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
- President Clinton, Feb 4, 1998

"Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
- Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

"We urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
- Letter to President Clinton, signed by Sens. Carl Levin (D-MI), Tom Daschle (D-SD), John Kerry ( D - MA), and others Oct. 9, 1998

"We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and the means of delivering them."
- Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

"I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force-- if necessary-- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

...and these are just Clinton era quotes. I could go back to the Kennedy/Johnson era and talk about Vietnam and napalm. I could go back to the Roosevelt/Truman era and talk about rounding up Japanese Americans and dropping A-bombs.

Do you really want to go there Cliffy? Wasn't it Obama that has escalated the war in Afghanistan? Didn't he say. ""I know it's not easy. You're far away from home. You miss your kids, you miss your spouses, your family, your friends. If I thought for a minute that America's vital interests were not served, were not at stake here in Afghanistan, I would order all of you home right away."

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
JLM, I never hoped or attempted to change anyone's mind about Obama. Furthermore I did not say in my post which you quote that Obama's election was result of brain washing.

And as far as my spouting my rhetoric about Obama, how about mentioning those who have been spouting far more offensive and far more unsubstantiated nonsense about George W. Bush, for far longer? Maybe you, among them?

I think my opinions of George Bush are fairly balanced. Bush generally did what he thought was best for U.S. people, albeit his solutions at times were wrong headed.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I think you are referring to the Sacrament of Reconciliation which according to the laws of the Church is to be received at least once a year.

From Wikipedia;quote:
"There is evidence from the UK[19] and USA[20] that at least three-quarters of professed Catholics who commit serious sins do not adhere to this requirement of canon law"
And you believe that human deficiency only applies to people who believe in a God?
How so very candid of you......

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
"My country, right or wrong! Let's go kill us some rag heads/camel jockeys!"

Blind faith/patriotism - how many millions have died for it or been victims of it. They say you shouldn't talk about religion or politics. Is that because some are afraid we might find out just how dangerous they are? Every time a group decides they are right and to take action on that righteousness, they is mob mentality, kinda like the Borg out to assimilate the Universe. We end up with mass hysteria and elect bunch of war mongering republicans or brain washing little children at Jesus Camp.

gerryh hit the nail on the head on this thread.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
We all of some sort of bias, of course. I would say some zealotry is 'safer' than other types though. Buddhists zealots may not do much harm, but muslim and christian zealots are a plague of this world, no doubt. The craziest of that lot are waiting to hit the big red button and end it all. Atheist zealots are bad too, but their existence as zealots is a response to the naivety of religious zealotry.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Would you like to do a death toll count to confirm how many innocents Christians have killed vs. Muslims?

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Would you like to do a death toll count to confirm how many innocents Christians have killed vs. Muslims?

By all means. But to be fair, and to more relevant to today, let us start at the reformation of Christianity by Martin Luther and John Calvin.

Or if you prefer, at the start of the Muslin Reformation.

What?!?!?! There never was a Muslim Reformation?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
By all means. But to be fair, and to more relevant to today, let us start at the reformation of Christianity by Martin Luther and John Calvin.

Even if you break it off there, the Thirty Years War killed over 8 Million innocent people - 4X more than the crusades.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

That's not called fair, that's called cherry picking. If you want to compare one religion to another, you compare in it's totality, not just the parts you want to compare...

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Tonnington, to paraphrase the old saying: What have you done for me lately, ask what you have done TO me lately.

And then answer HONESTLY.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I like the statement we are all zealots to some degree, and that may be true. There is a saying
I put some stock in though. We are known by what we do and not what we say. In that light I
am compelled to believe there is enough religious zealotry to destroy the world many times over
and that type of hatred and zealotry is every bit a powerful as the bombs. The reason is even
after the end, as we know it, there will still be a few zealots to finish the job the bombs didn't kill.
A sobering thought isn't it.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
zealot - extreme partisan, fanatic
partisan - strong, unreasoning supporter of political or religious doctrine
dogma - 1. principle, tenet or system of belief 2. arrogant declaration of opinion
dogmatic - asserting or imposing personal opinions, intolerantly authoritative, arrogant

In 1983, Quesnel, B.C., there was a group of mental and physical health practitioners, teachers and concerned parents who were attempting to address a growing problem in the community. Quesnel had, at the time, the highest rate of substance abuse, violence and unwanted pregnancy, among its youth population, in all of B.C. These concerned citizens had studied the materials available and prepared a program they thought would deal with the problem.
They dubbed it “Family Life Education”. The program was to teach the students communication and relationship skills and a more modern approach to sexual education.
A public forum was organized to explain the plan and to get feedback from the community. A panel consisting of teaching and health professionals, a minister, a priest and the high school valedictorian was supposed to discuss the proposed material and give their opinions as to its appropriateness. Unfortunately, what happened was something else altogether.
Many of the churches mobilized their congregations to squash any intelligent discussion by stacking the hall so supporters of the program could not get in. They harassed supporters out side and inside the hall. When the valedictorian started to say that there was a shortage of relevant material available and that the proposed program would be of great benefit to the community as a whole, the majority of the audience rose up and shouted her down.
Next, the audience commandeered the microphones to rage something about a plot by “Secular Humanists” to pervert their children and tear apart their families. (That was the first time I heard that expression. I have since been accused of being one, even though I have no idea what it means.)
Emotions reached a fever pitch when a sixteen year old girl, who looked like she had been having a real bad time of her short life, somehow was able to reach a microphone. She pleaded, she begged, she cried to at least have access to the information that was being proposed.
The good “Christians” in the crowd shouted and screamed at her that she was a *****, a consort of Satin. They threw stuff at her. One person rushed her, pushing her down and spit on her. Someone suggested that she be taken outside to have the evil beaten out of her.
In the chaos that followed, I lost track of that poor girl. I tried to reach her but was pushed back. I feared for her life. If she was not physically harmed, she would certainly suffer severe psychological damage. Friends of mine, who were present, feared for their own lives. It was one of the darkest moments of human insanity I have been witness to.
Two years later I was asked to help organize a youth club to try to address some of the old problems of teenage pregnancy and substance abuse. I ended up being the coordinator of club activities. As such, I spent a lot of time advising the executive, who were mostly the best and the brightest of Quesnel’s student body. I also counseled a few dozen troubled youth in the process.
I found that the most common complaints were of parental neglect or abuse, including physical, emotional, verbal and sexual abuse. What did not surprise me, particularly after the Family Life fiasco, was that most of the complaints came from the children of the “Pillars” of the community.
Eventually, the word got out that the children were confiding in me. I began to receive threats of violence. The children were ordered not to participate in the club anymore. Go Figure!!
Don’t get me wrong. My intention is not to tar all Christians with the same brush. I know most religious people are very honourable and devout parents. I am, however, wanting to point out the intolerance and bigotry of zealots who try to force their brand of dogmatic beliefs on everybody else. Anybody who thinks their way is the only way and anybody who disagrees with them is an enemy, is a zealot. Anybody who thinks they can suppress free thought, or tries to impose their will on others is a zealot. We all know who they are and they are right here in our community.
This includes Pro-lifers, White supremists, religious and political fanatics, Law and Order fanatics, environmentalists and industrialists, even some civil rights activists who are trying to impose their agenda on the rest of us.
Those who are driven to impose their beliefs on others do so from a place of neurotic insecurity of their own self worth. Most have tunnel vision which prevents them from seeing beyond their own narrow view of reality. They would deny others their right to free will but insist their actions are based in that tenet.
I am not suggesting we silence them. What I am advocating is that people weigh all the facts pertinent to any issue and decide for themselves if it is valid to their lives or not. The truth is only relevant to the beholder, after all. All else is just opinion. Exercise your right to go to heaven or hell in your own way. That is what free will is all about.

Cliffy - My hats off to you -An excellent thread, well written, non biased and common among many communities in particular your point on so called Pillars of the community - Not all but quite a number i would say. This thread and what you wrote is a rarity this day. I can relate completely to your point on Free will. You the individual make the choice as was given to you, the person to decide if this is right or wrong, to ignore inhumanity or demonstrate empathy, not sympathy, they sound the same but are as different as night and day, but show compassion as given to us by our Creator.