Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Facts? There are no facts in the OP.

I believe
I believe
I believe

Those aren't facts.

I know that I will sound like I'm 100% partisan, and maybe I am. but I have voted NDP and Liberals in the past.

Anyways, my assessment of the Canadian Alliance and Steven Harper is:
  • not only is the CA the longest running minority government in Canada, I believe they are the hardest working and most honest minority government in the history of Canada
  • I believe that the Canadian Alliance has no hidden agenda ( imagine that, eh?)
  • I believe that 1 term of Canadian Alliance as a majority gov is all that is needed to undo the things that the Liberals got wrong.
  • I don't think that the Canadian Alliance's childcare program is better than the Liberals Universal Childcare program, I simply believe that the Liberals want to start their program with a wrecking ball long before they successfully establish a working program. When we cars, we build them with 'make before break' dimmer switches so we dont suffer a momentary black out when switching from low beams to high beams. I beleive that the Liberals have NO plans to avoid the 'black out. They will drop my $100 /mth in a heart beat simply because its a Canadian Alliance program.
  • I believe in a triple E senate
  • I believe in a crime and punishment system that is tough on extreme criminals
  • I believe that the Canadian Alliance will not touch the abortion issue anytime in the future unless we are crazy enough to elect them for 20 years.
  • I believe that the Canadian Alliance's flip flop on the income trust taxation was a good decision. If they didn't do something, there was going to be 2 different types of corporations in this country: ones that pay taxes, and ones that don't.
  • I believe that the Canadian Alliance is our last hope at abolishing the long gun registry.
so lets hear what you think! I am hoping this thread becomes a straight talk thread without anyone commenting on each other's beliefs, but that will only happen if we all agree to make it that way. lets hope.

jgarden

Mar 29, 2011
Your buying into the opposition party lines.
There is hardly any objective proof of what your claiming, it's all coming from the opposition parties, who have a vested interest in smearing the governing party.

I think Harper is the best man for the job, he is not perfect, and maybe has made some mistakes, but overall, he's the best for the job until we get someone better, he'll do.
With all due respect, why would "the best man for the job" choose "Bruce Carson" (5 fraud convictions, legal licence revoked, girlfriends one third of his age) as his top advisor?

Why would "the best man for the job" banish former Minister of State for Status of Women Helena Guergis from the cabinet, the Conservative caucus and the Party? After calling for a police investigation, Ms. Guergis was found not to have committed the crimes of which she was accused!

Why would "the best man for the job" limit the national press to 4 questions a day if he had a political record of which he was proud and ready to defend?

Why would "the best man for the job" be so suspicious of the Canadian public that those going to Conservative meetings are required to submit their names? Why would his "handlers" check these names on "Facebook," and then remove Canadian citizens who had the audacity to exercise their rights and be photographed with an opponent?

Why would "the best man for the job" continue to remain in denial that his party was found guilty of "contempt of parliament?" When you are operating a minority govermnent, why would any leader allow that situation to deteriorate to that state - unless, of course, that leader was deliberately trying to provoke an election!

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm looking forward to bashing the COCLL

Coalition of Canadian Leftie Love.

If you love Canada vote for COCLL.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Why would "the best man for the job" be so suspicious of the Canadian public that those going to Conservative meetings are required to submit their names? Why would his "handlers" check these names on "Facebook," and then remove Canadian citizens who had the audacity to exercise their rights and be photographed with an opponent?

I believe that Harper has been photographed with Ignatieff, should he be tossed out Conservative functions as well?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I wish there was a Libertarian candidate running in my area.
If only to thumb my nose at the big three, and I use the term "big" here loosely, I too wish I had a Libertarian candidate.

Or an independent.

Or even that Marxist-Lennist dude I remember from the past two federal elections in my riding. (I always wondered what election night was like for that guy. Maybe similar to that one kid in grade four who never got any cards on Valentines Day, remember him?)

What I do have as an "option" is The Animal Alliance Environment Voters Party of Canada.

Sigh, what's a girl to do?

Maybe we should start our own party. And we won't invite Steve, Iggy or Jack!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If only to thumb my nose at the big three, and I use the term "big" here loosely, I too wish I had a Libertarian candidate.

Or an independent.
I'm of the opinion that, a vote for an independent, would be as useful as a vote for the Green Party.

Or even that Marxist-Lennist dude I remember from the past two federal elections in my riding. (I always wondered what election night was like for that guy. Maybe similar to that one kid in grade four who never got any cards on Valentines Day, remember him?)

Thank gawd I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read that!!!

What I do have as an "option" is The Animal Alliance Environment Voters Party of Canada.

Although I fully back their position on Bear hunting. Their opposition to fur farming, seal hunting and trapping, force me to withdraw my support, completely. I'll take my chances with those wascally hunters.

Maybe we should start our own party.
Great idea, I'll bring the tequila and limes.

And we won't invite Steve, Iggy or Jack!
No kidding! Stevie would just stand in the corner all night, blushing and twisting his toe in to the carpet every time a girl walked by.

Iggy would just grab the lampshade and take off to the party next door, where they said he could be the life of the party.

And Jackie would just bitch, that those partier's that brought their own liquor, should give some to those that didn't.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Or an independent.

Maybe we should start our own party. And we won't invite Steve, Iggy or Jack!

Can Liz go to that debate?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
With all due respect, why would "the best man for the job" choose "Bruce Carson" (5 fraud convictions, legal licence revoked, girlfriends one third of his age) as his top advisor?

Well, he showed bad judgement.......but here I thought you guys were all for rehabilitation?? :) And what does his girlfriend's age have to do with it??

=jgarden;1412119 Why would "the best man for the job" banish former Minister of State for Status of Women Helena Guergis from the cabinet, the Conservative caucus and the Party? After calling for a police investigation, Ms. Guergis was found not to have committed the crimes of which she was accused!

Because: The PM received information about very serious allegations about her. Guergis was increasingly becoming a loose cannon, going off inappropriately at airport staff, behaving erratically. Because she was ineffective as a minister. Because trouble followed her, as in her staff writing laudatory unsigned letters to newspapers. Because her husband's arrest and subsequent acquittal on drug charges was laid at the door of the PM. Because the husband was suspected of unfair lobbying practices, and using his wife's position and priviledges as an MP to his advantage............and because both Ignatieff and Layton demanded her firing. BTW, Harper did not fire her....she is still an MP.....he can't fire MPs, all he did was demoted her, and the CPC kicked her out of caucus....which is totally an internal party matter.

jgarden;1412119Why would "the best man for the job" limit the national press to 4 questions a day if he had a political record of which he was proud and ready to defend?

Because he doesn't feel like answering more questions than that........when did the press gain the prestige to instruct the PM when to talk, and when not to talk? I guess they should pick their questions carefully.

jgarden;141211Why would "the best man for the job" be so suspicious of the Canadian public that those going to Conservative meetings are required to submit their names? Why would his "handlers" check these names on "Facebook," and then remove Canadian citizens who had the audacity to exercise their rights and be photographed with an opponent?

Overzealous staff? And he apologized.

Why would "the best man for the job" continue to remain in denial that his party was found guilty of "contempt of parliament?" When you are operating a minority govermnent, why would any leader allow that situation to deteriorate to that state - unless, of course, that leader was deliberately trying to provoke an election!

The Contempt of Parliament is a complete joke, brought about by an opposition that made up the majority of the committee involved, after less than a day of debate, and just before an election.

Can you say "political manoevre"?

Deserves no attention whatsoever.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The Contempt of Parliament is a complete joke, brought about by an opposition that made up the majority of the committee involved, after less than a day of debate, and just before an election.

Can you say "political manoevre"?

Deserves no attention whatsoever.

Isn't the contempt thing what brought the election to a head? Of course it's a political manoevre, that's what Parliament is.

If you feel that contempt of Parliament deserves no attention, then you deserve to lose your guns. Contempt of Parliament means contempt for the Canadian citizenry, which is one of those precious things you want your guns to defend against.

I think in your blind hatred of the BQ and worship of the Conservatives that you've blown a couple of circuits.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If you feel that contempt of Parliament deserves no attention, then you deserve to lose your guns. Contempt of Parliament means contempt for the Canadian citizenry, which is one of those precious things you want your guns to defend against.
I think that all depends on which is the greater of two evils.

oldrebel

Nominee Member
Apr 18, 2011
southern ontario
Partisan squabbling and hurling insults doesn't faze me. The fact is that both parties have done some incredibley awful things in the past and for one to condemn and accuse the other is simply the pot calling the kettle black.
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Harper and his lovely wife back before he was elected, and I was favourably impressed. What I noticed was that Harper makes eye contact with, and listens to whomever he is talking with. There is an aura of integrity and truth about him that I have never sensed in any other politician.
I think Harper has done a good job considering what he has to deal with. He hasn't been able to keep some of his promises because the opposition has blocked him at every opportunity. Not because his plans were bad, but because the opposition is so greedy for power that they will do anything to get their way. They don't care what is good for the people of Canada - only about their own self aggrandization!
It's too soon after the Liberal Adscam and Shawinigate scandals for me to even consider them. Add to that the Liberal arrogance and sense of entitlement that they continue to exhibit, and Ignatieff's abrasiveness, I hope they get crushed in this election.
I also hope Harper gets the majority he asks for this time. Otherwise we will end up with election after election and threats of a coalition and nothing worthwhile getting done in the meantime.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
What I noticed was that Harper makes eye contact with, and listens to whomever he is talking with. There is an aura of integrity and truth about him that I have never sensed in any other politician.

Brian Mulroney used to do that, too. And at rallies and conventions, he'd be sure to point at someone in the audience and smile at them, it made them feel that he was recognizing them in particular.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Harper and his lovely wife back before he was elected, and I was favourably impressed. What I noticed was that Harper makes eye contact with, and listens to whomever he is talking with. There is an aura of integrity and truth about him that I have never sensed in any other politician.

Yes, it's that aura of integrity that's fooling the general public while he shuts down investigative reporting.