Young adults have a right to be up in arms

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
No ideologues like you.

Keep watching and learn.

It will save you from being made to look the fool and getting all mad.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Stop confusing me with Locutus. :)
I'm not.

Nice try though.

You and Loc have two completely different posting habits.

Someone who isn't an ideologue would know that.

Like I advised earlier, watch and learn. You won't end up being made to look the fool and get so mad.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Just did?

That was posted in March, mocking you. You would be the top recipient of those kind of replies from moi.

Geeze, I wonder why that is?

You and Loc are the ones that started the u mad stuff, rofl

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I get that. But no amount of tuition would have changed the fact that she couldn't keep up.

My point is, free or paid, there is no difference in what happens to a pupil that can't maintain their grades.

Whereas, students that have the grades, but don't get a scholarship, or can not afford tuition, are screwed.

If higher education was free, anyone capable of excelling, no matter their wealth, they would have the chance. If they fail to maintain their grades, they lose the opportunity.

I don't know the answer, the argument can be made on both sides. If a student has to pay for an education they may work harder, or be so overcome with the debtload that they give up, I've seen both scenarios. Even if tuition were charper, good grief, Dalhousie is murder, I saw a bumper sticker on a car ahead of me that said, "My kid and my money go to Dal". When you think, India is free, and their main export for many years were doctors. They got smart though and have started enticing them to stay and they now have a booming medical tourism industry. Mexico has jumped on that bandwagon too.

Tuition is still pretty cheap in Quebec, but the difference in taxes according to co-workers (who live across the border in Ontario but work in Montreal), is, for them, about $8000/year. Newfoundland is pretty cheap too, but they are also a high tax province, but at least they have oil revenue now. So the cost has to be borne by someone. I wonder how many Quebec grads move to Alberta for work;-).

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I don't know the answer, the argument can be made on both sides. If a student has to pay for an education they may work harder, or be so overcome with the debtload that they give up, I've seen both scenarios. Even if tuition were charper, good grief, Dalhousie is murder, I saw a bumper sticker on a car ahead of me that said, "My kid and my money go to Dal". When you think, India is free, and their main export for many years were doctors. They got smart though and have started enticing them to stay and they now have a booming medical tourism industry. Mexico has jumped on that bandwagon too.

Tuition is still pretty cheap in Quebec, but the difference in taxes according to co-workers (who live across the border in Ontario but work in Montreal), is, for them, about $8000/year. Newfoundland is pretty cheap too, but they are also a high tax province, but at least they have oil revenue now. So the cost has to be borne by someone. I wonder how many Quebec grads move to Alberta for work;-).

The answer is to regulate the universities, the proof is that so many other countries are able to provide world class educations at 1/10th of the price. As I always like to point out, it is cheaper for a high school graduate to fly over to Europe and study there than to study in Canada, and on top of the education they get an excellent life experience making it on their own in a strange land. However, most parents will advise their children to stay close.

Too many people are pressured to get an education these days, and that has created part of the problem. The problem isn't that too many people are educated, but how the universities and employers have responded to this reality. The universities raised prices because of the lack of regulations and the inelasticity of demand, employers increased educational requirements for most jobs.

Quebec might be cheap at $2000 dollars a year tuition, but I only paid 200 euro in Berlin. When they raise the price to $4000 dollars a year, the difference becomes even more absurd.