Young adults have a right to be up in arms

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
we should give him a break.... he's barely outa school.... been barely fu cked, let a lone fu cked over, give him another 15 to 20 years to grow up and he'll figure it out.
By the sounds of things, it will be a long while before he's ever able to take on the responsibities of a man.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Firstly, I think firearms and crossbows make the sport to easy.

You must be a far better hunter than I, or anyone I know ;-). Out here, you can only get within bow range of a deer if it is either out of season or it is visiting a bait site, (which I think is unsportsman like, but it is legal).

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
A mortagage isn't a personal line of credit and home improvement loan adds equity to a home.

They are both personal loans... Are you going to push the goal posts until they're way off the field? Facts is that there are personal loans that qualify for tax credits. Deal with it, or at least act like a grown up...

The home has value which can be extracted upon default.

Yeah, and the equity isn't tax deductible on a rental property, only the interest paid. Durp.

we should give him a break.... he's barely outa school.... been barely fu cked, let a lone fu cked over, give him another 15 to 20 years to grow up and he'll figure it out.

So what is the reason you old timers can't understand that personal loans can and do qualify for tax credits? Ignorance. You guys have been around longer than me and don't even know this. Obviously age isn't everything.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You must be a far better hunter than I, or anyone I know ;-). Out here, you can only get within bow range of a deer if it is either out of season or it is visiting a bait site, (which I think is unsportsman like, but it is legal).
I admit, I bait, well actually, I and the crew I hunt with have a Deer management program. We feed the Deer in our area all year round, we also run scrape lines starting in August. But I also call Deer, Turkey and Coyote. The only one I hunt with a rifle is Coyote, and we only use calls. I used to harvest Deer by stalking. Still do a stalk from time to time.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
That's why I think higher education should be free, to those that meet the requirements.

The problem there is; how do you know beforehand if they'll meet those requirements? Post secondary education is free in places like Mexico, Norway, Sweden, they also have quite a number of professional students in their 30's. They do have to keep their grades up, but when education is free, you usually get what you pay for. And if everybody can get a PhD, then a PhD will be a requirement for a burger flipper. We have to be careful that we don't de-value higher education with good intentions.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They are both personal loans... Are you going to push the goal posts until they're way off the field? Facts is that there are personal loans that qualify for tax credits. Deal with it, or at least act like a grown up...

Yeah, and the equity isn't tax deductible on a rental property, only the interest paid. Durp.

So what is the reason you old timers can't understand that personal loans can and do qualify for tax credits? Ignorance. You guys have been around longer than me and don't even know this. Obviously age isn't everything.

Noun1.personal loan - a loan that establishes consumer credit that is granted for personal use; usually unsecured and based on the borrower's integrity and ability to pay

mort·gage

noun 1. a conveyance of an interest in property as security for the repayment of money borrowed.

What makes a personal loan different from a mortgage Twirpington?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The problem there is; how do you know beforehand if they'll meet those requirements?
High School transcripts.

I'm talking about making education financially accessible to anyone, whose grades meet the standard for the course said student applies for.

I'm not talking about making higher education available to anyone that can simply fill out a form.

We have to be careful that we don't de-value higher education with good intentions.
I agree.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
It just seems contradictory. How useful is a serviceman who can't be forced to fight? I suppse you could try to blackmail him by giving him the choice between mine clearing and combat service. Seeing the first option is more dangerous, I suppose it would be a good way to test his sincerity in avoiding a combat role I suppose! :)

We had the Navy out here doing cleanup after Hurricane Juan, certainly not a combat role. But one of our club members, (who you would think was a member of JTF2, the way he talks) is a friggin' cook on a frigate, but he still has to qualify with a rifle, pistol and smg.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
What makes a personal loan different from a mortgage Twirpington?

The name, the value, the use. What makes a personal loan different from a line of credit Durpy Pete?

What makes the personal responsibility any different Petros?

It's semantics here. You have yet to explain why personal responsibility changes between types of borrowing.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Nooooooo. Go into a bank and ask for a line of credit to buy a house and they'll insist you get a mortgage. Why would they do that?

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
High School transcripts.

I'm talking about making education financially accessible to anyone, whose grades meet the standard for the course said student applies for.

I'm not talking about making higher education available to anyone that can simply fill out a form.

Yes, but a girl in my daughter's graduating class in high school had a 100% average, (I don't know how, a lot of extra credit assignments I guess). She won a 4 year scholarship, but lost it because she couldn't keep her grades above a 3.5, as a matter of fact they were around a 2.0. Governments and bureaucrats have a very poor track record in picking winners and losers, and I'm sure I couldn't either, but I wouldn't even try.

As it stands right now, you are better off if your parents are below average wage earners. Students of higher earning parents get absolutely zero help from the government, so the system is already lopsided from the get go.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes, but a girl in my daughter's graduating class in high school had a 100% average, (I don't know how, a lot of extra credit assignments I guess). She won a 4 year scholarship, but lost it because she couldn't keep her grades above a 3.5, as a matter of fact they were around a 2.0. Governments and bureaucrats have a very poor track record in picking winners and losers, and I'm sure I couldn't either, but I wouldn't even try.
She was bounced because she couldn't keep up. Having free post secondary education wouldn't stop that from happening.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Nooooooo. Go into a bank and ask for a line of credit to buy a house and they'll insist you get a mortgage. Why would they do that?

Not necessarily, I've used a credit line to buy property, they didn't like it, but so what? One difference between a mortgage and a personal loan is what it is secured against. In most jurisdictions, a bank cannot take your main residence if you default on a loan, and in Alberta expecially, even if it is secured against your house, (a friend of mine was a mortgage broker in Edmonton, he informed me of that little ditty), but they can if you default on your mortgage, provided it is the property that is used as security. Another difference is, a mortgage has a drop dead date, the ammortization. A personal loan, not so much, you can usually pay if off early without penalty. Another difference is about 5 percentage points.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
She was bounced because she couldn't keep up. Having free post secondary education wouldn't stop that from happening.

Which is kind of my point, in her case it was free for all intents an purposes.

That's the point the lad is missing. Secured and unsecured.

Yeah, even a secured credit line isn't really that secured. My buddy tried that stunt and knows first hand how far the banks can and can't go, I wouldn't advise trying it. He moved to the Turks and Caicos for about ten years afterward.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Which is kind of my point, in her case it was free for all intents an purposes.
I get that. But no amount of tuition would have changed the fact that she couldn't keep up.

My point is, free or paid, there is no difference in what happens to a pupil that can't maintain their grades.

Whereas, students that have the grades, but don't get a scholarship, or can not afford tuition, are screwed.

If higher education was free, anyone capable of excelling, no matter their wealth, they would have the chance. If they fail to maintain their grades, they lose the opportunity.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yeah, even a secured credit line isn't really that secured. My buddy tried that stunt and knows first hand how far the banks can and can't go, I wouldn't advise trying it. He moved to the Turks and Caicos for about ten years afterward.
The legal differences is what clearly defines the two types of loans and what can and can't be seized upon default.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
People are actually talking to each other and having reasonable conversations in this thread...

What the hell happened here?