Would you kill another human being under certain circumstances?

Choose:

• Under certain situations, I could take a human life

Votes: 32 91.4%
  • Regardless of the situation, I could NEVER take another human life

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
We are not talking about something here I wonder about....

Does killing another human include "oneself"? Grammatically "self" is not "another" but is suicide out of the picture in this discussion?

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec

Does killing another human include "oneself"? Grammatically "self" is not "another" but is suicide out of the picture in this discussion?
I think it is , or should be another thread. It would keep things simple. We all know how a simple thread can get very complicated at the best of times.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
You won't see me turning my nose up... use up good meat, damn straight. Apparently right now in BC, you don't even need a license... just kill the darn things, they're taking over the place. Down here in the river valley, the mule deer are so thick they're starving themselves out. We have whole herds that live in our neighborhood, kicking over garbage cans, eating the horses' feed, and tearing down bird feeders. Now, two moose have moved in too. Time for a cull! lol.
Was there a ban on hunting them? What caused the population explosion?
i'm one of them
You're a brave man herm.
Bear, that's a great apology..........:thumbup:
Thanx Colpy, though I hate the taste of foot, I seem all to able to get both size 15's in there from time to time.
I give the self-defense course at work. Most of the people we get now have never before handled firearms, except in the Federally mandated safety course. You would think that most had considered the essence of the job before they applied, but that is not necessarily so.

One of my first tasks in the course is to make it clear.

I tell them flat out that they may have to draw a weapon and sent little bits of lead smashing into another human being's body, causing that individual intense pain, extreme distress, extensive permanent physical damage, and perhaps death. I tell them it is their duty to themselves, to their family, and to their partner who is there with them to do so without hesitation once the threat is clear. I tell them if they have any doubt they can do so, they don't belong here, and they should leave now.

Yes, people have left.

Obviously, I don't doubt my own ability to do so.
Out here the police are being slowly turned into social workers. It won't be long before cruisers are equipped with couches.
I would only kill another human if I was very hungry.
You lie, Beavers don't eat meat, it makes them gamey.
In life, almost no joke is free of the possibility to make someone think "wow, that was really insensitive given my personal experiences." I wasn't meaning to chastise you.. like I said, it would have been good for a chuckle. Please, no surgery needed. lol.
Thanx Karrie, but it was insensitive, and I am sorry, no matter how humourous my analogy was, that was an horrific event, the timing was way off.
I know I would never join the military. I would love to think that I could never kill...but I do not know. I do not know what it is like to be in the extreme conditions that I feel I would have to be in to get me to a state where it would be possible to kill someone...if that made any sense.
You obviously led a sheltered life, that explains a few things.

In the church it's a sin, in my heart I agree. Life is a gift, taking a life without purpose is wrong. Suicide is wrong.

Lest it be because ones life will no longer be livable, due to to illness or injury, in cases where people have a DNR or assisted suicides. But to steal ones own life, because they feel they have lost to much to bear, though I understand mental illness(I once voted Liberal exclusively), there is always hope(I now vote Conservation), so I still see it as a weakness and wrong.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think I'd prefer to strangle them, so I can see them going down up close and personal. I am a peaceable man, a pacifist, anti-war, anti-violence, and all that other good stuff, but dammit, threaten or injure someone I care about and you'll find that in my private life I can be as ruthless and violent as the nastiest person you can imagine.

And regrettably, I learned that from horrible personal experience three decades ago. That's a frightening thing to learn about yourself, that you can be angry and hurt enough to want to murder someone. I didn't actually murder anyone, but I sure wanted to for a while.

Don't ask. I won't talk about it. It wasn't one of my finer moments, and it doesn't matter anymore anyway, except for what it taught me about myself. And I believe that's in all of us.

I think it's incredibly important to recognize our capacity for violence, even if we strive for peace.

My husband is a peacable man. He has fought in self defense in the past, but was never one who like fighting. He's never done anyone any serious injury.

But if it wasn't for the legal ramifications and how they would have effected us, I think he would have worked his brother in law into a pile of pulp on the ground after he found out his neice had been molested.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
sexual abuse is awful sorry to hear that!

Sucide

Its a sin to the church.

And taking a non-religious stand point its wrong.

Life is your gift and to take it is a sign that: YOU DO NOT LOVE YOURSELF.

Any person that kills themselves has NO SELF-WORTH. NO SELF-VALUE. NO SELF-LOVE.

We cannot punish someone who kills themselves.. impossible.. but if a person attempts to they should be forced to go to a clinic...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
sexual abuse is awful sorry to hear that!

Sucide

Its a sin to the church.

And taking a non-religious stand point its wrong.

Life is your gift and to take it is a sign that: YOU DO NOT LOVE YOURSELF.

Any person that kills themselves has NO SELF-WORTH. NO SELF-VALUE. NO SELF-LOVE.

We cannot punish someone who kills themselves.. impossible.. but if a person attempts to they should be forced to go to a clinic...
Is it really a religous stand point?

On a lighter note, Elbarto's self love is a sin, lmao!!!

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
well love yourself to a point. But if you go to far, we see ego troubles!

Yeah it really isn't religious.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
well love yourself to a point. But if you go to far, we see ego troubles!

Yeah it really isn't religious.
For me, a self proclaimed non religous, but deeply spiritual person, I to find suiced to be waste of the most precious gift of all...Life.

That should be a trans-religous phylosophy. The world may look wildly different, if all Life was resected thusly.

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
you call it self love I call it maintenance. prevents prostrate cancer. Just that thought kills the fun a whole lot. Its now a job, like house work.lol darn and I don't do windows....oh stay away from the vacuum cleaners. or else you'll have a real cardilal to look after.:thumbup:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
you call it self love I call it maintenance. prevents prostrate cancer. Just that thought kills the fun a whole lot. Its now a job, like house work.lol darn and I don't do windows....oh stay away from the vacuum cleaners. or else you'll have a real cardilal to look after.:thumbup:
ROTFMFFAO!!!

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia

I think its appropriate. Its the ultimate murder. Ive tried scores of times to somes chagrine I wasnt very successful. But taking ones own life to save anothers in my oppinion is heroic in others selfish in others a mortal sin.

While were at it abortion is that killing? In the context of this thread is it murder?

Pangloss

Council Member
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
I think its appropriate. Its the ultimate murder. Ive tried scores of times to somes chagrine I wasnt very successful. But taking ones own life to save anothers in my oppinion is heroic in others selfish in others a mortal sin.

While were at it abortion is that killing? In the context of this thread is it murder?

What about a hierarchy of humanity? The just fertilized egg is less than a zygote; the zygote is less than second trimester; second less than third, third less than born, baby less than adult?

Before you all jump on me, realize we do have a hierarchy of rights: the testimony of a child has no weight in western courts without corroboration(sp?), you cannot drive or sign a contract until you are at least 15, and in most cases 16, you cannot enlist or vote until at least 18; nor can you run for public office until you reach the age of majority.

Try to get a mortgage or rent a car before you are twenty-five.

Try to get a vasectomy or tubal ligation before thirty.

As a society, we understand that there are things most of us do not understand or cannot understand until we are of a certain age: therefore we already agree in diminishing humanity as we get younger.

Running away after opening the can of worms. . .

Pangloss