Words that irk you

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
He was too easy for an example and thought if I put his name up we'd spend the rest of the topic writing "Bushisms"......

I also hate the way he pronounces EYE-RAK..... hee.

Maybe that's just a Texas thing. My best friend here is from Dallas and she pronounces it the same way:? . Her brother served in Eye-rak.

I hate it when people end sentences with at, as in "where you be at?".

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
Maybe that's just a Texas thing. My best friend here is from Dallas and she pronounces it the same way:? . Her brother served in Eye-rak.

I hate it when people end sentences with at, as in "where you be at?".

Should start another thread for Bushisms!!!

I hate the way he says terrorist...more like tourist....he'd better look out I hear there's loads of tooooorist folks still in New York

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Should start another thread for Bushisms!!!

I hate the way he says terrorist...more like tourist....he'd better look out I hear there's loads of tooooorist folks still in New York

I actually like Bushisms. I sound a lot like him by morning when I'm at work so I sympathize with him.:laughing7:

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
can you tell me what being white has to do with talking black?? It's a skin colour....

what can you tell by my writing if I am black, white, Chinese, Indian??

I will agree that bringing whatsup etc into the written language is likely not a good thing but it's not racial... Have you ever called someone a schmuck....shouldn't use that word unless you are Jewish..it's yiddish!!!

I have teenagers, and I believe what she is referring to is the use of "gangster rap language" by may of our young. As I undestand it, mapleleafgirl has a valid point, young urban middle class white kids in Toronto talking like they were ghetto blacks in New York-dosen't sound right at all.

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
I find it very irksome when some men call me "bro" or "brother". I expect them to have long hair and wearing peace symbols for that kind of talk. Or the still too common "man"..hate it.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
heh heh heh, but it is not a debate thread, I think. The question was "what words irk you"..and that word irks me..mankind stands for both sexes, traditionally:)
Quite right. And it's meant to be a light-hearted thread, with pet peeves and no major bitchin', :D but, that's just my preference and far be it for me to actively consciously exert influence over people. :)

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Bushisms

George Bush may have a home in Texas but his brother speaks beautifully and his mother has a wonderful command of the English language and she is a northeaster.

His father has no trouble speaking English either - and it is becoming to a president to at least try to drop the colloquialisms for the four or eight years one is in office.

If he was still Governor of Texas he could twang longhorn lingo all he wants ... but he represents a nation comprised of many people and I think "non identifiable contemporary English" would be best.

His mother should have hit him upside the head for all his cowboy mannerisms....hayseed stuff and it's so phony because he's no more a cowboy than some of the actors on television.

Last edited:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Quite right. And it's meant to be a light-hearted thread, with pet peeves and no major bitchin', :D but, that's just my preference and far be it for me to actively consciously exert influence over people. :)

I'm not major bitchin' I'm giving Sanctus a bad time - in a fun way - as was the way in which Sanctus took it.

The topic isn't important enough to generate some heavy adrenaline surges over. I would never win a deep argument with Sanctus anyway!

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I know and wasn't pointing fingers, just making a general comment expressing a wish. ;)

Sorry then - my mistake - however you used my argument with Sanctus for the example.

There can be no doubt when I am taking issue with another - I was surprised you thought I was angry with Sanctus - when I can't even dream up a good hissy fit at the man.:wave:

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Remind me NOT to talk to Sassy on the phone!!! Seems to me yall (yes YALL) are talkin about dialect. I have several. I talk as in chalk. if Im visitin Sis I say beeya not beer. but if your talking about just plain words that piss me off? Saved, has got to be number two, "Have you taken your meds" is a good one to run quickly away from me because you found a hot spot. And I aint (yes AINT) tellin you number one.