Will the Tories actually sell the CBC?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Then why not transform it into a workers' and consumers' co-op? That way those who care about it could put their money where their mouths are by buying a share and then watch it to their heart's content.

Why? It isn`t like the government would lower taxes. It would be like food banks in BC, the more we give the more the government claws back but taxes don`t go down.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
While I don't have an issue with them selling the CBC or other crown corporation in general, I DO have a problem with them selling "capital assets" during a recession (meaning we won't get a decent price from them) AND I have a bigger issue with selling said "assets" to pay for day to day operating of the country. Also, the plan to sell the assets needs to be part of an overall strategy that should be a bit more complex than "to sell them." What will be done with funding? We will be investing in other areas? At minimum - will the proceeds be used to reduce the debt (not deficit)....

Selling assets to cover your operating expenses is stupid.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Some good posts here - too lazy to quote all the relevant ones...

The issue of military funding, CBC, funding, etc... is that there is a lack of vision and plan for what these should be in Canada. Money is just "thrown" at these departments, which results in waste.

My opinion, we need to have a clear direction and focus for the military in Canada. Let's face it - we are not a world power, and we will never be one, unless we want to start owning nukes. Given that, let's focus on the items that are important to OUR interests - namely the Arctic, and the coastlines around our country. We should be focusing on an air force (as our country is VAST and with the 2nd longest coastline in the world, we need the ability to cover that) AND Navy (to protect and patrol our waterways). Who is going to wage a land war agaisnt us? The US? If they do - we have no - and will never have a - chance). We don't need tanks. We don't need heavy lift aircraft to transport tanks. We need fighter jets, long range aircraft, helicopters, UAVs, submarines, destoyers, even aircraft carriers.

CBC - what is the strategy and purpose? If it's to spread Canadian culture - it isn't doing that any more - unless Simpsons is now Canadian. CTV shows more Canadian made TV than the CBC - and some of them pretty good.

I could go on - but I hope people get my gist. We need leadership, a vision and a strategy. The last PM with that was Trudeau (whether you agree his vision or not, at least he had one) What's Harper's or Ignatieff's vision for the country?

brewmaster

Just copy PBS bit scale it down

yup, you could do this. the only problem being the CBC would have no clear idea of what their budget would be from year to year. But it could work, PBS in the states does that.

I agree as well. I would be thrilled if CBC-TV followed the PBS model: private contributions, no commercials (only at the beginning / end of a program), and a focus on documentaries, news, kids' shows ("Homework Hotline" gives me hope for the next generation), and DIY stuff. The key for PBS's donations is no commercials and that it mentions, at the beginning of every program, that it's "made possible by viewers like you."

Of course, the main difference is that the US has 10 times the number of potential donors than Canada.

Okay, so here's my 2 cents on improving CBC-TV: Follow the PBS model described above, but scale it down. Start with having canadian equivalents for "Frontline" and "The Newshour". The rest can be the best stuff that the National Film Board has to offer. Maybe throw in a couple DIY shows on the cheap. Build it up from there.

In sum, I'd donate a decent amount if the CBC tried to become the canadian version of PBS. PBS rocks!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
While I don't have an issue with them selling the CBC or other crown corporation in general, I DO have a problem with them selling "capital assets" during a recession (meaning we won't get a decent price from them) AND I have a bigger issue with selling said "assets" to pay for day to day operating of the country. Also, the plan to sell the assets needs to be part of an overall strategy that should be a bit more complex than "to sell them." What will be done with funding? We will be investing in other areas? At minimum - will the proceeds be used to reduce the debt (not deficit)....

Selling assets to cover your operating expenses is stupid.
Ditto that.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I agree as well. I would be thrilled if CBC-TV followed the PBS model: private contributions, no commercials (only at the beginning / end of a program), and a focus on documentaries, news, kids' shows ("Homework Hotline" gives me hope for the next generation), and DIY stuff. The key for PBS's donations is no commercials and that it mentions, at the beginning of every program, that it's "made possible by viewers like you."

Of course, the main difference is that the US has 10 times the number of potential donors than Canada.

Okay, so here's my 2 cents on improving CBC-TV: Follow the PBS model described above, but scale it down. Start with having canadian equivalents for "Frontline" and "The Newshour". The rest can be the best stuff that the National Film Board has to offer. Maybe throw in a couple DIY shows on the cheap. Build it up from there.

In sum, I'd donate a decent amount if the CBC tried to become the canadian version of PBS. PBS rocks!
Good idea. I'd like to add that there are quite a few Canadians that watch the various PBS stations. There are some Americans that watch the CBC, too.
Not sure about radio, though.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Here in NB, the local CBC radio stations that have very, very good local news/current events coverage in the morning and afternoon rush-hour time periods. There is a regional noon-hour show that does a great job of general and resource-industry coverage.

There are, as competitors, some of the Rogers News XX.X stations, but their coverage of anything is headline-only, at best.

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
See Ottawa considering asset sales - The Globe and Mail

I'll be disappointed if this happens. I don't get cable, and I happen to like the CBC and some of their programming. A lot of people live in the middle of nowhere and CBC radio is key for them. If the CBC went private, they wouldn't be broadcasting in such non-profitable areas.

When everything changes over to "Digital" and "High definition" this summer, you won't be getting any more "free" TV anyway. At least that certainly sound like what is happening.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You bet. People who don't have kids are taxed for education. People who never get sick are taxed for healthcare.
However, our quality of life here in Threestationville, BC would take a bit of a dip if CBC radio went pop or news or much of anything other than what it broadcasts now. I don't think I'd be alone. I don't think Threestationville is the only area in Canuckville that would be a bit put out either.

I fully agree with paying for other people's education even if they aren't my kids. That's a social responsibility. If a person does not receive a decent education, he becomes a liability to society and the world at large. In that respect, it's a social investment big time. The CBC does not compare.

brewmaster

Depends where you live...

When everything changes over to "Digital" and "High definition" this summer, you won't be getting any more "free" TV anyway. At least that certainly sound like what is happening.

Maybe you're talking about people who live in rural areas, where the TV networks might not broadcast at all once the deadline (Aug. 2011) to switch to digital passes. I live in Montreal and won't have this problem: I currently get -- in HD or digital, over-the-air, for free -- CBC, Radio-Canada, TQS, TeleQuebec from Canada; and CBS, NBC, PBS, and FOX from the US.

The digital home forums are a good resource for over-the-air digital TV.