Will the Tories actually sell the CBC?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I happen to know something about the Applegrowers and that in fact they do improve quality.

But I don't think that is a fair comparison since fruit and radio are entirely different industries.

If your claim is true then you should have no problem in providing a few dozen examples from the American radio industry where their quality and content is comparable to the CBC's.
Fox? Nyet. TBC? Nein. Anything with mostly Canadian content? Non.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I happen to know something about the Applegrowers and that in fact they do improve quality.

But I don't think that is a fair comparison since fruit and radio are entirely different industries.

If your claim is true then you should have no problem in providing a few dozen examples from the American radio industry where their quality and content is comparable to the CBC's.

If we really want quality radio, we'll pay for it.

There are so many radio stations in the US. Have you listened to each one of them to confirm your belief?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Quite right. After Americans got their mitts on the Hudson's Bay Co. (after 300 freakin years of being Canadian), the quality of goods they carried went downhill. There are lots of stores around that carry lesser quality goods; Walmart, Canadian Warehouse Club, etc.

And of course the opposite is true too. If people don't care for quality programming and are quite happy with shutting off the radio ro TV and puling out a good book, then why should they fund what they don't use?

So in the end, the quality could go up, could go down, could stay the same. But it's preposterous to suggest that it woud necessarily go down. That woud be up to Canadians to decide.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
If we really want quality radio, we'll pay for it.

and we do, with taxes.

There are so many radio stations in the US. Have you listened to each one of them to confirm your belief?

Careful now, I made no claim.

I simply outlined what I thought would be good enough evidence to prove your claim.

If you have other evidence then by all means post it but to be prima facie it needs to be from a similar industry. You can`t compare apples and radios ;-)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Honestly, I watch little TV and listen to litlte radio. So why should I be funding what I don't even use? And it's not an essential service either.

I'm all for funding things I don't use myself if they are essential or if they can help a person considerably in his life. The CBC is not among that list.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I just googled 'quality' 'radio' and 'programming' and a whole list comes up. I'm not going to start going through the entire list. But the fact that a whole list comes up seems a promissing start.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Honestly, I watch little TV and listen to litlte radio. So why should I be funding what I don't even use? And it's not an essential service either.

I'm all for funding things I don't use myself if they are essential or if they can help a person considerably in his life. The CBC is not among that list.

How do you feel about public roads?

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
How about National Public Radio (NPR). It's the yankee version of CBC. In fact I often hear NPR stories on the CBC.

They aren`t corporate or for profit.

The argument is that corporate radio would provide CBC content if the market existed.

In the USA NPR proves the market is there yet still it isn`t corporate; which is to say corporate radio won`t provide the content. Obviously, I think, there is demand it just isn`t as profitable as Howard Stern.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
About NPR

Internationally acclaimed and privately funded. Hmmm. Sounds good to me. So the CBC could in fact survive in one form or another.

I would agree if the government meant to reduce funding then this model might work, however, the OP said the government wanted to sell the radio, and so the NPR model isn`t applicable.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
How do you feel about public roads?

I'm in favour of resource taxes such as the Green Shift that the Green Party was proposing. The more gas you consume, the more tax you pay towards road maintenance. If you walk or cycle, you pay less. Sounds fair to me. Why should a pedestrian or cyclist pay as much for roads as a driver? Add to that that roads are a nuisance staning in the way of a pedestrian. So we'll force him to pay for something he doesn't use anyway and that even stands in his way? Talk about adding insult to injury?

Now as for busses, that's different. The bus company must still buy gas and pay the gas tax on it, so it would pass the cost on to the passengers. But since a bus uses less gas per passenger than a car, transit users would still pay less than drivers overall. And since motorbikes use less gas, bike riders would pay less tax too. Only fair. Same applies to the CBC.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I pay a lot of taxes for things I don`t like. The CBC is the least of it.

I have a solution for this. Make our direct taxes charity deductible. That way I could give my tax money to schools, international development, etc.

You could give yor money to the CBC.

And Conservaties could give their money to the military.

It'll all balance out.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC

Well, just what I said.

If the CBC were to seek its own funding I think that would be great but to sell it to some corporate master would destroy it. The only real reason to buy the CBC would be to divide it up and sell it off. There would be real money in that but Canada would lose a treasure.

Reactions: Tonington

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Now as I'd mentioned earlier, I think it would be wiser to sell the CBC once the economy is growing; now would seem to be a bad time to do that.

But as for cutting government funding for it, that I could certainly agree with.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Well, just what I said.

If the CBC were to seek its own funding I think that would be great but to sell it to some corporate master would destroy it. The only real reason to buy the CBC would be to divide it up and sell it off. There would be real money in that but Canada would lose a treasure.

Then why not transform it into a workers' and consumers' co-op? That way those who care about it could put their money where their mouths are by buying a share and then watch it to their heart's content.