Why I'm leaning towards a universal right to bear arms in the US.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Two Months Before Charles Kinsey Shooting, Chief Resigned and North Miami Police Failed State Test

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/two-months-before-charles-kinsey-shooting-chief-resigned-and-north-miami-police-failed-state-test-8620562

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Florida policeman shoots autistic man's unarmed black therapist - BBC News

Too many incidents like this make it such that any person, criminal record or not, should be allowed to bear arms in the US for his own protection. Furthermore, the presumption of innocence should be equally strictly applied to any person who shoots a cop in self defence or in the defence of others.

Looks like cops in the US are out of control.

Given that you are Canadian what difference does it make what you think on the issue?

Sounds good to me. This country was founded on shooting back at the police.

Ha, I hadnt thought of that. Its true.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Maybe.

But it's democracy which can lead to them achieving their goal, not some exclusive form of freedom.

Anyway, I'm all for responsible authority, but that needs to happen from top down.

Toronto is a good example where we elected a good mayor (this time) who made sure that the new police chief would enforce that kind of responsibility.

Toronto had a good mayor but he died.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Black therapist shot while protecting autistic man sues cop
The Associated Press
First posted: Thursday, August 04, 2016 10:38 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, August 04, 2016 11:43 PM EDT
MIAMI -- An unarmed black therapist is suing the Florida police officer who shot him while he tried to protect his autistic client.
The Miami Herald reports Charles Kinsey filed a federal lawsuit Thursday against North Miami officer Jonathan Aledda, accusing him and other officers of using excessive force and false arrest.
The 47-year-old Kinsey is seeking unspecified damages. Aledda shot Kinsey in the leg July 18 as he lay in the street next to his 27-year-old client. Arnaldo Rios had walked away from the group home where he lives. Kinsey was trying to coax him back when a woman called 911 saying a suicidal man was walking down the street with a gun. Rios was actually carrying his toy truck.
A cellphone video captured events leading up to the shooting.
Healthcare professional Charles Kinsey, shot by a North Miami police officer on July 18 while trying to protect an autistic patient, makes his first public appearance in Aventura, Fla., Thursday, July 28, 2016. Kinsey, an unarmed black therapist who was shot in the leg by police last week while protecting his severely autistic client, said he had a joyful reunion Thursday with the man who remains hospitalized because of emotional trauma. (Carl Juste/Miami Herald via AP)

Black therapist shot while protecting autistic man sues cop | World | News | Tor

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Message from the NRA: You could have defended yourself against the officer to prevent him from shooting you had you been properly armed.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Actually is appears that America is about stupid. Canada is about common sense.

Right - I'll expect we will read about you being arrested as a terrorist for smuggling arms into the US.

No worries. We'll get the NRA to cover our legal expenses: I'm white and my wife is a woman, and neither of us profess Islam or is Middle Eastern.

The NRA will see us as perfect spokespersons for their social awareness campaigns.

And depending on how the arrest goes down, we might legally shoot back in self defence.

I already have a strategy. If I can't get a clear shot of the cop, I'll drop to the ground, shoot once in the air, yell terrorist, plug my ears for the next 20-30 minutes as all hell breaks loose around me, wait another few minutes after the firefight until the dust clears, and when the Navy SEALS come to clear the scene, I'll just say I heard someone yell terrorist and we all shot at the terrorists dressed in blue, and that's all I know.

We'll be hero's, might even get to meet the President for our bravery.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
And every year there's 33,000 less of us due to guns. Why doesn't this make you happy? You've made your opinion of Americans quite clear.
I quite like Americans. I traveled in almost every US state and it is a wonderful country. I do, however, object to certain policies of the US government as do many American citizens; yourself included no doubt.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Well that was a quick decision. Guess they couldn't find a way to squirm out of the obvious.........

A North Miami police officer who shot the caretaker of a man with autism last summer has been charged with attempted manslaughter, according to officials.

On Wednesday, the Florida State Attorney's Office announced charges for North Miami Police Officer Jonathan Aledda for the July 18, 2016, shooting of behavioral therapist Charles Kinsey, who was unarmed.

Initial 911 calls described a "possibly suicidal" man with a "silver weapon in his hand," and officers with the North Miami Police Department were dispatched to the scene, according to a press release from the state attorney's office.

The man described in the call was a resident of the Miami Achievement Center for the Developmentally Disabled, according to the release. After the resident left the center, Kinsey closely followed him in "an attempt to return him from the street back into the facility," the release reads. The man was holding a silver toy tanker truck in his hand, according to the release.

Aledda fired three shots, one of which struck Kinsey. At 152 feet away, Aledda was "not in the position to correctly assess the situation or in a position to accurately fire," the release states. Two other police officers "were within 20 feet of the situation" when he fired.

In addition to the attempted manslaughter charge, a third-degree felony, Aledda is being charged with culpable negligence, a first-degree misdemeanor.

A video of the incident before Aledda fired shows the man with autism sitting on the ground and, lying next to him, Kinsey holding his arms in the air.

North Miami police officer charged in July 2016 shooting of caretaker of man with autism - ABC News

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Florida policeman shoots autistic man's unarmed black therapist - BBC News

Too many incidents like this make it such that any person, criminal record or not, should be allowed to bear arms in the US for his own protection. Furthermore, the presumption of innocence should be equally strictly applied to any person who shoots a cop in self defence or in the defence of others.

Looks like cops in the US are out of control.

We already have Concealed Carry Permits in Canada.. you have to jump through hoops and get a letter from your local police.. but it's possible.

It's discretion of the Provincial CFOs. (Chief Firearms Officer) and you need to meet certain criteria to get your ATC in Canada.

Three general criteria that have been put in place:

-the life of the applicant must be in imminent danger

-police protection is not sufficient in the circumstances

-the individual has successfully completed training in firearms proficiency

https://www.facebook.com/ConcealedCarryInCanada/

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
One man is in custody after he allegedly, fatally shot five people in a three-hour period Thursday.

The shooting spree, allegedly committed by Damian Herrera, 21, started in La Madera, where he shot and killed Maria Gallegos, 47; Max Trujillo, 58; and Brendon Herrera, 20.

Following the incident, Damian Herrera allegedly drove off, to Tres Piedras, in a gray Toyota truck.

There, he shot and killed Michael Kyte at the man’s home, off Forest Road 222.

According to a 2010 Taos News article, Kyte was an archaeologist for the Carson National Forest.

Family members at Kyte’s house also did not want to speak to a reporter at the scene.

Shortly after Kyte was killed, State Police and Rio Arriba County Sheriff’s deputies prepared to canvass the Tres Piedras region, while a State Police helicopter searched for Herrera, reported to be in a stolen black Chevy Silverado truck he allegedly stolen, presumably from Kyte.

One of Kyte’s neighbors, who declined to be named, said he lives underground and did not hear anything, but he received a call from another neighbor down the road, who said she did hear gunshots.

After Herrera allegedly stole the truck in Tres Piedras, he was reported to have driven to Abiquiú and ended up at Bode’s General Store, where he shot another person, the fifth, after an argument. That person also died. That person’s identity is currently unknown.

After the shooting at Bode’s, he then fled down U.S. Highway 84, finally crashing the truck on the side of U.S. Highway 84, just before it merges with U.S. Highway 285.

Sheriff James Lujan said Sheriff’s deputies had him in custody, following the crash, and took him to the hospital for a medical clearance before he will be handed over to State Police to be interrogated.

He said that Herrera already allegedly admitted to the shootings and that once State Police finishes its interrogation, he will be booked in the Tierra Amarilla Detention Center.

Man Goes on Shooting Spree, Kills Five | | riograndesun.com

PS; New Mexico is one of our “Gold Star” open carry states. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws, open carry is increasingly common and law enforcement is well educated as to its legality. In addition, New Mexico has an extended domainlaw which effectively makes your vehicle an extention of your home. So you may carry openly or concealed in your vehicle.

New Mexico | OpenCarry.org