Why I will Vote for Harper Next Election

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I wonder how he is as an MP for his constituents. Or any MP who winds up either in cabinet or PM. In Chretien's memoirs he said his job was first and foremost an MP for his riding. As PM it must be difficult both for the MP and his/her constituents.

Then again these days MPs dont do a whole lot other than ribbon cutting ceremonies and other similar events.

And cashing their paycheque. They do that too.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Why Liberals hate Harper so much:

1. He never outlawed Gay marriage as they predicted
  2. He never outlawed abortion as they predicted
  3. He never unveiled the so called secret agenda that they have been fear mongering about prior to his becoming PM
  4. He sings Beatles songs and not too badly either
  5. He was less stiff that Ignatieff and plenty smarter than Justin
And that's just a few reasons why they hate Harper so much.

In fact I would say that those on the left hate him almost as much as Limbaugh hated the Clinton's.

Good thinking!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Getting things done isn't worth anything if the things you get done are harmful.

Eating (a certain amount) and paying your bills and mortgage generally isn't harmful..........once everyone is employed and contributing, then we can worry about more science.

I know they are driving down property rates in my region. I've got nothing against them, but wish they'd keep them in the remote areas.

As long as they don't raise the mill rate. -:)

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

3. He never unveiled the so called secret agenda that they have been fear mongering about prior to his becoming PM
  5. He was less stiff that Ignatieff and plenty smarter than Justin

I was a little surprised that 1 and 2 didnt happen. He seemed to be quite different in the 90s from what he has turned out to be in power. The social conservatives dont seem too happy about it but they dont seem to be trying to force him on the issue either.

I actually liked 4. Ive been to a few of the same concerts as him as well over the last 3-4 years. He and I have very similar tastes in music apparently. If I were ever to meet him Id probably bring that or hockey up rather than politics. One of my friends said they spoke to him briefly at a movie theatre here. My friend was a bit annoyed that he was at a movie theatre rather than doing his job. That made no sense to me. Everyone deserves a little time off and to unwind. I dont hate Harper, I just disagree with him. I really hate personal attacks in politics.

I agree with 5. Harper seemed to be enjoying himself during the debate in the last election. Ignatieff kept shooting himself in the foot while Duceppe and Layton for the most part attacked him rather than Harper. I laughed when Jack Layton brought up Ignatieff's attendance record and he had no defence. He was like a deer in the headlights.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
All Harper is doing is laying down the law relative who actually works for who.

As long as these people are employed by the Feds, they do not own any of the info or research that they are employed to study... It is no different than if they worked for a private company.

That said, if they want to be able to make that decision, they should put up their own cash and will be free to disseminate that research to whomever they please and whenever they want.

Unlike a private company the people own the government and the people pay for the scientists and the people should have access to the information

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Unlike a private company the people own the government and the people pay for the scientists and the people should have access to the information

Great, then that what you should vote to support. Until then, it is not the sole decision of any one (or group) of scientists/researchers to make that decision.

This concept isn't that difficult. If these folks that are pissing and moaning about being muzzled don't like it - then do your own research, on your own dime - and release the results at your own discretion.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Excellent point. I have had people say "My opinion is just as good as yours."
Ya, you, lol...

And it starts with admitting that the other guy's point of view is just as legitimate as yours.
LOL.

They are every bit as entitled to their opinions as I am to mine, but an opinion reached through acquiring knowledge, thinking carefully, and modifying as circumstances change is vastly superior to the "Coz that's the way it is!" variety.
Are you prone to making completely contradictory statements often?

Although I agree, you shouldn't bury your disclaimers in your posts, post them at the top.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
  3. He never unveiled the so called secret agenda that they have been fear
    mongering about prior to his becoming PM
According to the two CPC MP that went at it on CBC the other day, some CPC MPs don't like Harper for those reasons too.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I know they are driving down property rates in my region. I've got nothing against them, but wish they'd keep them in the remote areas.

Good revenue generators for whoever owns the land. The other options are coal and nu clear.

You think every shareholder in a private company have access to all that is going on?

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007

5. He was less stiff than Ignatieff and plenty smarter than Justin
And that's just a few reasons why they hate Harper so much.

In fact I would say that those on the left hate him almost as much as Limbaugh hated the Clinton's.

I don't hate Harper, I'm angry over what he's doing to this nation.

I don't really care what his policies and ideology are anymore, it's the undemocratic and dictatorial way he's acting that bothers me. My grandfather was a veteran with the CEF in France in 1918 and re-enlisted in 1940 to do his part in the second world war of the last century. We were fighting for something important, the right to select and hold accountable our leaders in a free and open society. I think anyone who betrays that trust the way Harper has, whatever their justification, has no place in the House or any other level of government.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't hate Harper, I'm angry over what he's doing to this nation.

I don't really care what his policies and ideology are anymore, it's the undemocratic and dictatorial way he's acting that bothers me. My grandfather was a veteran with the CEF in France in 1918 and re-enlisted in 1940 to do his part in the second world war of the last century. We were fighting for something important, the right to select and hold accountable our leaders in a free and open society. I think anyone who betrays that trust the way Harper has, whatever their justification, has no place in the House or any other level of government.

I agree, Harper isn't perfect by a long shot, most of his problems are two bit sh*t, $16 orange juice, naughty senators who pad their expenses, A$$holes that use Gov't aircraft for private business, etc. etc. etc. etc. But until someone better arrrives on the scene I'll back Harper.