Why Catholic isn't Christian.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I should have said the genealogy of Mary there of course. It is that which would have provided the Matriarchal lineage. And there are many Marys in the New Testament MHz, but only one Mary, Mother of God.

others
• Mary of Bethany (John 11:1)
• Mary, the mother of James (not Jesus’ 'brother') (Matthew 27:56)
• Mary, the wife of Clopas (John 19:25)
• Mary, the mother of John Mark (Acts 12:12)
• Another Mary mentioned (Romans 16:6)
• Mary Magdalene (Luke 8:2)

Sure sounds like a very Merry time....or maybe a very Mary time? I don't know. :-?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Having sex or having children (aka marriage) ??
Species interaction would be body of a bull and torso and head of a man, you sure this is who you would be comortable with when they come calling??? (for your young daughter)
Wow! You never cease to amaze with your conclusions. Maybe you should pull your head out of the bible once in a while and take a look at the real world.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Doesn't sound like the Jews had much imagination when it came to naming their daughters.

There's a silver lining to that Cloud Cliffy. ;-)

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Species interaction would be body of a bull and torso and head of a man, you sure this is who you would be comortable with when they come calling??? (for your young daughter)
wow Obtuse or what? She said sub-species. I guess you missed that. The species would be human, but as there were different branches of human existing simultaneously through different periods, it is quite feasible they would occasionally interact.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
wow Obtuse or what? She said sub-species. I guess you missed that. The species would be human, but as there were different branches of human existing simultaneously through different periods, it is quite feasible they would occasionally interact.
Thanks but I did understand the monkeys mating with gorilla's theory. The best example of that today is with horses. They can be breed with their nearest sub-species and produce an off-spring. The off-spring is sterile so it cannot have a generation that belongs to it's tree. We seem quite susceptible to earth's 'disasters'. All the breeding for survival of the fittest goes out the window if they happen to be the path of extreme disasters. The one that could be considered least prepared for survival is the one that survives just because he has been able to avoid natural disasters that are of an extinction type of event. That is a variable that has to be considered when considering the crap-shoot theory of our 'possible history'.

The Bible is referencing completely different species being mated successfully if mutations of the extreme are not considered important.

Re:4:7:
And the first beast was like a lion,
and the second beast like a calf,
and the third beast had a face as a man,
and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle.

The above seems to be the 'genetic' makeup of one type of angelic being. If angels have those same qualities then if mated with Eve's daughters there should be 4 different looking children, rather than one child having all four of those features.

Quoting Cliffy Wow! You never cease to amaze with your conclusions. Maybe you should pull your head out of the bible once in a while and take a look at the real world.
lol.

Where would you like to start, body part operations. artificial insemination (designer babies)? Is that not man imitation what God has indicated already took place long in the past? You could claim it is a natural progression and I might not argue the point. Didn't Roman or Greek or Egyptian gods have such
combinations?

We know Cliffy is an fanatic about threads that deal with anything to do with God, what is your excuse?? Posting a separate reply that has 'lol' as it's entire message seems borderline to just racking up your 'posting score'. lol
WAFTYA

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Thanks but I did understand the monkeys mating with gorilla's theory. The best example of that today is with horses. They can be breed with their nearest sub-species and produce an off-spring. The off-spring is sterile so it cannot have a generation that belongs to it's tree.
Wrong. You can breed Arabs with Apaloosas, Apaloosas with Palominos, etc. and they are perfectly fertile. It was done in the devlopment of the Morgan breed. You don't use horses and zebras or monkeys and apes, you use horses and horses, chimps and orangs. And even then you have to be choosy about which to breed. I doubt you could get much from mating a St. Bernard with a Chihuahua, for instance.
We seem quite susceptible to earth's 'disasters'. All the breeding for survival of the fittest goes out the window if they happen to be the path of extreme disasters. The one that could be considered least prepared for survival is the one that survives just because he has been able to avoid natural disasters that are of an extinction type of event. That is a variable that has to be considered when considering the crap-shoot theory of our 'possible history'.
Some people are susceptible to disasters. Those that want to live in the volcano's shadow, or on a fault line, or on a flood plain are just asking for it. Not everyone wants to live like that. And even then, some of those have adapted quite well. People in hurricane prone areas don't build rigid, wooden structures, they build structures that are easily replaced, for instance. "Crap-shoot" theory? That comment implies there is no order to the universe. I think there is a complete order to it. Some parts of it, we haven't figured out yet; some, we have. Some of us are simply of the opinion that it doesn't require any kind of intelligence and even if it did, we'd have no way of ever fathoming any of the qualities of it. But, I know that people who believe in intelligences like what I described love to attribute human qualities to it. I find that arrogant and completely underestimating the intelligence if there is one. It's laughable.

The Bible is referencing completely different species being mated successfully if mutations of the extreme are not considered important.
Yeah, well, the Bible also says crap about burning bushes that talk, too. :roll:
I think the only way different species can hybridise is if the genetic material is similar enough. Trying to mate a frog with a hippopatamus or a wallaby with a chickadee is just inane.

Re:4:7:
And the first beast was like a lion,
and the second beast like a calf,
and the third beast had a face as a man,
and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle.

The above seems to be the 'genetic' makeup of one type of angelic being. If angels have those same qualities then if mated with Eve's daughters there should be 4 different looking children, rather than one child having all four of those features.
I think chimeras are freaks doomed to extinction. Temporary oopses in nature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(genetics)

[Where would you like to start, body part operations. artificial insemination (designer babies)? Is that not man imitation what God has indicated already took place long in the past? You could claim it is a natural progression and I might not argue the point. Didn't Roman or Greek or Egyptian gods have such
combinations?
Where would I like to start what?

We know Cliffy is an fanatic about threads that deal with anything to do with God, what is your excuse?? Posting a separate reply that has 'lol' as it's entire message seems borderline to just racking up your 'posting score'. lol
WAFTYA
What are you babbling about? I need an excuse for something? Why would I need an excuse and what for? I usually do things because I want to. That's my excuse for most things.
I have no idea what a WAFTYA is.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You did an 'lol' to the suggestion that I never take my nose out of the Bible, where would you like too start the topics of genetics taken from sourses outside Scripture.
The ones you mentioned are different breeds of horses, they still belong to the species of horse. Zebra's and such are sub-species, you cannot mate these with each other.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
You did an 'lol' to the suggestion that I never take my nose out of the Bible, where would you like too start the topics of genetics taken from sourses outside Scripture.
The ones you mentioned are different breeds of horses, they still belong to the species of horse. Zebra's and such are sub-species, you cannot mate these with each other.
Equus is the genus. It includes horses, zebra, etc. Horse is a species like zebra (then there are the subspecies like feral horses et al, and then there are the hybrids like Morgans). By the way, people have interbred horses with zebras. Hybrid Equines
Well you must admit, you are constantly referencing the Bible, so it's quite natural to think you rarely take your nose out of it. It was a funny comment. I expressed appreciation for the comment. I don't care about post count. Sue me if you don't like it. :roll:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I guess you would find it 'funny' to read some Scripture or reference to some Scripture in a thread that mentions Christians, most would simply accept that it would happen. Just because 90% of my posts are in religious threads is no reason to assume that it takes up 90% of my life. LOL

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I guess you would find it 'funny' to read some Scripture or reference to some Scripture in a thread that mentions Christians, most would simply accept that it would happen. Just because 90% of my posts are in religious threads is no reason to assume that it takes up 90% of my life. LOL
You're right. But that was part of the humor, I think. I doubt even Sanctus' time is 98% (or even 90%) sticking his nose in the Bible. lol

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You're right. But that was part of the humor, I think. I doubt even Sanctus' time is 98% (or even 90%) sticking his nose in the Bible. lol
Still, just saying that might bring some to think the subject is poorly researched. Most of the time saved today is because I can go straight to the verse I want to reference. In the past some subjects took weeks to find a suitable answer for.
Did you really think Cliffy was being humerus? The subject was successful breeding between different species. Cliffy was calling me a fool for thinking such things could happen. The subject was the meaning of some specific verse. Ge:6 tell the children of fallen angels and female humans produced a race that were called giants. Today that would suggest a much larger physical form. That they were also known as men of renown they would also seem to be the 'bosses' rather than the 'workers'.

"Quoting MHz
Wow! You never cease to amaze with your conclusions. Maybe you should pull your head out of the bible once in a while and take a look at the real world."

Cliffy never ceases to amaze me also, how is it that he failed to come to the same conclusion since he has stated that he has read the Bible twice?

gibsongirl

Aug 25, 2009
Atlanta, GA
www.myspace.com
I want to end this.

What is a Christian?

A Christian is anyone who seeks to be like Christ -- all who try to admit their shortcomings and have accepted Jesus as a sacrifice for all their sins. They believe He was raised from the dead three days later and ascended into Heaven to be with God the Father. Now, as believers in Christ, we walk the Earth trying to be an example of Christ in all our relationships and interactions with God's creation.

Is this not common between Catholics and Protestants? It doesn't matter what your traditions or picky little interpretations of the Bible are. Everyone sins, and therefore no one can know and understand everything about God. How can we judge one believer from another?

A friend told me once that God reveals Himself differently to different people. We all see different parts of God. For example, I see my husband in a different way than his mother sees him, but together we are able to love him more fully. The same is with God. That's why He uses so many different people from so many different backgrounds in so many different lifestyles and so many different churches, etc. Together we can more fully love Him as fellow believers in Christ -- CHRISTIANS.

Finally, let's not bicker about doctrine. Jesus knew that laws and traditions were important for order, but it's the meaning behind them that saves us, not the laws themselves. If you value the meaning, and you understand and accept it -- whether you're able to follow the laws or not -- you're a Christian.

------

You can stop reading now if you want, because I feel like I made my point okay enough -- but I also feel like someone's going to start criticizing my faith because I said you can sin all you want and still be saved. I figured I'd say a little bit about that too, if it's okay. This is how I explain it to the children I care for.

Say you want to be a gymnast. You would probably look at a famous gymnast and say, "WOW! She's great because she went here, and did this, and practiced X amount of times, etc." You'll want to do the same thing. You'll start attempting everything that she did, practicing just as hard and learning all you can, improving and toning up trying to look like her. BUT there will be times that you can't do exactly the same thing she did, and so you won't be able to create a complete carbon-copy of her life and actually become her. The point is that you'll never BE her, but you're still a gymnast.

The same is true for Christians. Christ is our example. We try to be like Him, to learn about Him, to look like Him, to grow in Him. BUT we'll never be a perfect copy of Christ, and yet we're still Christians. It's the journey we must value, and so the times we fail can't steal away our salvation.

If you've accepted Christ, you'll WANT to be like Him. You'll WANT to do the right thing. If you have no interest in being a better person for God, THAT'S when you should doubt your salvation.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Almost all the images of Christ show him as a bearded man. Do you try to become more masculine and grow a beard?;-)

I think that if Christians did what you suggest, nobody would mind. What most detractors object to is that few even try to emulate Christ like qualities. Most are judgmental toward other Christian sects, non Christians, gays, hookers, people of different colour, etc. Christ did not seem to discriminate toward anybody and included many in his entourage.

I have met a few from many different religions who understood the concept of the brotherhood of Man and lived by those principles. They were not necessarily Christian, but acted more Christ like that most Christians I have met. I respect people who walk their talk but have little respect for those who don't.

sibes

Dec 16, 2009
I've never heard such a good argument for separating Roman Catholicism from Christianity. You're right on the nose about the political machinations of the time and the corruption of the original purity of Christ's teachings. That said, while I would not qualify Catholicism as true to original Christianity, you cannot say that Catholics themselves are not Christian. Stalwart Catholics follow Christ and acknowledge him as their God. It's the less stalwart ones who may not be behaving as Christians, but you'll find that in any religion.

Downhome_Woman

Electoral Member
Dec 2, 2008
Ontariariario
One of the greatest joys I get as an atheist is going over to christianforums and watching the various flavours of christians beat the **** out of each other. It is really a wonderful sight watching all the good christians argue about who is 'wrong' and why.

I had a former boss who was the definition of class and gentleman. Everyone he met thought he was the nicest guy ever. The only mean things I ever heard him say about anyone were because of his religion. He put down gays, well, because they're gay, and Mormons, because they weren't 'real christians.'
And yet you can say," One of the greatest joys I get as an atheist is going over to christianforums and watching the various flavours of christians beat the **** out of each other. It is really a wonderful sight watching all the good christians argue about who is 'wrong' and why"
to take such joy in this - what makes you any better? After much reflection I chose to leave the church I was born into and brought up in, but would I take glee in the conflict within it? That wold make me just as bad.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I've never heard such a good argument for separating Roman Catholicism from Christianity. You're right on the nose about the political machinations of the time and the corruption of the original purity of Christ's teachings. That said, while I would not qualify Catholicism as true to original Christianity, you cannot say that Catholics themselves are not Christian. Stalwart Catholics follow Christ and acknowledge him as their God. It's the less stalwart ones who may not be behaving as Christians, but you'll find that in any religion.
That is right. I have talked to people from a variety of religious beliefs and people are all the same in that it doesn't matter which belief system the espouse, they are all practicing those beliefs to varying degrees. In every religion there are people occupying every point on the spectrum from sometimers to outright fanatical.

weaselwords

Electoral Member
Nov 10, 2009
salisbury's tavern
Here we go again 21 pages.
Roman Catholism created Christianity as we know it, without the various councils there would not be an accepted cannon of the "New Testamennt", the more or less acceptance of the divinity of Christ, the intial prosletysing throughout Europe & closedmindeness to foment opposition which became the Refomation & the existence of Protestant & Evagelical churches

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Here we go again 21 pages.
Roman Catholism created Christianity as we know it, without the various councils there would not be an accepted cannon of the "New Testamennt", the more or less acceptance of the divinity of Christ, the intial prosletysing throughout Europe & closedmindeness to foment opposition which became the Refomation & the existence of Protestant & Evagelical churches
I does make you wonder how protestants can say the Catholic Church is the Scarlet Wh*re of Revelation when it was the Catholics that gave them the bible. How can they believe that it is the word of god when they condemn the people who gave it to them in the form it is in? It was the various Catholic councils that decided which early Christian writings to include and discard. To me to be truly Christian, they would have to go back and retrieve all the original writings and include them in their book.