Why Are So Many Christians So Un-Christian?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
The laws, unfortunately, make sense. It's a food handling and safety issue. Not to mention there've been enough freaks out there willing to poison wildlife and other people's pets they find annoying. It's not a big step from there to giving poisoned food to people who are "annoying".
On the other hand, church and soup kitchens don't have an infinite supply food to feed everyone everyday.

I was going to make a crack about the right-wing Christian fundamentalists being confused Hebrews but in this case it wouldn't make sense. OT laws stipulated that farmers were not to harvest the corners of their fields, leaving them to the poor so that the poor could eat while still maintaining some measure of dignity by working for it and not having to beg for food.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How is a Christian supposed to act? Putting in my two bits worth I would say rule # 1 is to mind one's own business - (which pretty well rules out every one that comes to my door)

Ask Cliff or one of the in house atheists. They all seem to know.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
one has to remember that germany in its TAX survey in the late thirties showed they were 96% CHRISTIAN
( germans in that age made their church donations THROUGH their tax returns. It is considered one of the most accurate surveys of it's kind for that reason)

They are, except when BB is blaiming the muslims, considered to be quite the genocidal bunch
funny how folks are NOW saying the right wing christian- NEO CON- behavior IS the new black
oh wait, Iraq, Lybia, syria...russia....
no WMDs, NO LOCKERBIE, Assad elected with 80 plus percent a couple months ago,
and Russian aggression?

rightwing neocons acting unchristian?
GEEEZ
what gives it away?

how is a christian supposed to act?
geez thats complicated
its called THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
I can't beleive that question needed to be asked

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
First sentence in that article (which I didn't write) talks about right wing Christians, not all Christians. I know plenty of Christians who understand the teachings and go about their lives trying to live up to them. But there are those who do not understand the teachings and, unfortunately, are the loud and politically active on the right wing that would deny the poor the basic right to human dignity.

Descriptors in your OP such as "many", "your average", "most" and "Christian" betray a particular bias, Cliffy. Why are "unchristians" so vocal about this perceived injustice to the poor by Christians? Perhaps there is a speck in the eye of the beholder.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
one has to remember that germany in its TAX survey in the late thirties showed they were 96% CHRISTIAN
( germans in that age made their church donations THROUGH their tax returns. It is considered one of the most accurate surveys of it's kind for that reason)

They are, except when BB is blaiming the muslims, considered to be quite the genocidal bunch
funny how folks are NOW saying the right wing christian- NEO CON- behavior IS the new black
oh wait, Iraq, Lybia, syria...russia....
no WMDs, NO LOCKERBIE, Assad elected with 80 plus percent a couple months ago,
and Russian aggression?

rightwing neocons acting unchristian?
GEEEZ
what gives it away?

how is a christian supposed to act?
geez thats complicated
its called THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
I can't beleive that question needed to be asked

I don't need to ask do I?

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I'd guess you'd have to define what a Christian is before you could characterize what a Christian ain't. But you need to be honest. Have to start with the Edict of Milan when Constantine legitimized the religion and go from there to be able to decide what a Christian is.

I'd be more likely to ask, why are so many humans inhuman?

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Many right-wing Christians vilify the poor, in direct contradiction to the teachings of Jesus. Why the hypocrisy?

Why Are So Many Christians So Un-Christian? | Alternet

Not everyone who calls himself a Christian is actually a Christian. They may be calling themselves Christians because their ancestors called themselves Christian and they just carry it on. They may call themselves Christian because it is expedient to belong to a fellowship. Or for any other reason than for what Christianity is really about.
A real Christian tries his best to live by the philosophy of Jesus Christ. Being human, it would be impossible to be a perfect Christian but he would certainly subscribe to the Golden Rule; "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" and to the eleventh commandment; "Love the Lord thy God with all your heart and soul and mind and strength and they neighbour as thyself".
Following those two rules would eliminate the greed, selfishness, duplicity and cruelty in the world if everyone followed them.
But that will never be possible!

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Not everyone who calls himself a Christian is actually a Christian. They may be calling themselves Christians because their ancestors called themselves Christian and they just carry it on. They may call themselves Christian because it is expedient to belong to a fellowship. Or for any other reason than for what Christianity is really about.
A real Christian tries his best to live by the philosophy of Jesus Christ. Being human, it would be impossible to be a perfect Christian but he would certainly subscribe to the Golden Rule; "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you" and to the eleventh commandment; "Love the Lord thy God with all your heart and soul and mind and strength and they neighbour as thyself".
Following those two rules would eliminate the greed, selfishness, duplicity and cruelty in the world if everyone followed them.
But that will never be possible!
I thought your book says all things are possible.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Descriptors in your OP such as "many", "your average", "most" and "Christian" betray a particular bias, Cliffy. Why are "unchristians" so vocal about this perceived injustice to the poor by Christians? Perhaps there is a speck in the eye of the beholder.
Have you ever listened to TV evangelists, to right wing Christian Republicans? Are you aware that many republican cities in the US have made homelessness and the feeding and sheltering of the homeless illegal? That many of them would deny access to medical care for the poor or want to stop or have stopped food programs in schools? Being aware of this and pointing it out is not bias. And why would anybody who has any compassion not be concerned about helping their fellow man? It is what Jesus taught and yet so many do not practice.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The silence is deafening indeed and that is because there are many good Christians
who practice what they believe and then there are those lip service Christians who
have written themselves into the pages of the Bible and obscured the words of their
savior as it were with a different message.
Christ never said to around around with a long disapproving face and condemn or be
against everything. Indeed he preached the opposite to rejoice and to do your part
don't be greedy the list goes on.
And one thing that sticks out and leads to the question being asked.
It is said One is known by their deeds and actions not by their words alone. I think
that sums it up right there.
The Republicans and some Democrats repeat the words without having a clue as to
what they mean. If there is a meeting with God I think they might get a real education

Motar

Council Member
Jun 18, 2013
Have you ever listened to TV evangelists, to right wing Christian Republicans? Are you aware that many republican cities in the US have made homelessness and the feeding and sheltering of the homeless illegal? That many of them would deny access to medical care for the poor or want to stop or have stopped food programs in schools? Being aware of this and pointing it out is not bias. And why would anybody who has any compassion not be concerned about helping their fellow man? It is what Jesus taught and yet so many do not practice.

I am taking issue with hanging the poverty of the world on Christians, Cliffy.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I am taking issue with hanging the poverty of the world on Christians, Cliffy.
Not sure how you came up with that silly conclusion, but nowhere is it said they are responsible for poverty. The article and my rant was about those Christians who are obstructing aid. I find atheists are more likely to be compassionate toward their fellow man. The article specifically points to Christians because it is one of the primary teachings of Jesus to be compassionate toward all those who are disadvantaged, physically, mentally and emotionally.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Are you aware that many republican cities in the US have made homelessness and the feeding and sheltering of the homeless illegal?
Are you aware that most cities in the US are run by Dems, including those that ban feeding the homeless?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I'm sorry. I made an assumption that you were Christian . My apologies. The book which is actually a collection of 66 books in the Protestant Bible says that all things are possible.
All things are possible through Christ is what it says, so you were close but way off the mark.