When will Justin Trudeau address the Economy.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
No, he is interested in photo ops and marketing and politicking. I doubt much will change next year. I was hoping he would at least try his stuff he campaigned for. Since he won, I was hoping he at least would have made it clear he was looking at improved infrastructure, etc. (aside from the infrastructure in Indonesia, Perhaps I mis-heard is campaign promises.) But that seems to be nowhere on the horizon. If it was coming next year, he would have mentioned it. That's what politicians do to get more attention on themselves.

Thus far he's looking like a spoiled kid with Dad's credit card.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This is the time of year that Joe averages decides whether to invest, what to invest in, and how much to invest to maximise tax credits. Is he sticking to the plan to axe income splitting? Are interest rates going up?

It makes me wonder what he has to hide?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
This is the time of year that Joe averages decides whether to invest, what to invest in, and how much to invest to maximise tax credits. Is he sticking to the plan to axe income splitting? Are interest rates going up?

Perhaps, they are not interested in providing wealthy investors with ways of wiggling out of paying taxes. Most Canadians pay their taxes. Only a wealthy elite can take advantage of all of the loopholes. You should also pay your taxes and the government is under no obligation to provide you with "outs".

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario

We have no way of knowing but it's a safe bet that with Trudeau's inherited wealth, tax shelters are being used.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
OTH as long as trudOwe isn't paying attention to the economy he is less likely to mess it up. Often times the best thing a government can do to "help" is stay out of the way.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
OTH as long as trudOwe isn't paying attention to the economy he is less likely to mess it up. Often times the best thing a government can do to "help" is stay out of the way.

Now you are starting to sound like Trudeau. The economy will not fix itself.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario

I don't think Trudeau himself has the intelligence or the knowledge of how things work in the real world to do anything. But his Ministers are sure as hell doing a number on the economy!

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I don't think Trudeau himself has the intelligence or the knowledge of how things work in the real world to do anything. But his Ministers are sure as hell doing a number on the economy!

Come on, they haven't had enough time. They are doing a lot of damage to our credit rating, by spending money we clearly do not have, but they are not responsible for the drop in world oil prices or the economic slowdown. The Saudis are to blame for that.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Good grief, another one. I did not say fix. I said address.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Liberals aren't really supposed to care about the economy (which is fake anyway).

That's the Conservatives job and they couldn't even get that right.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Come on, they haven't had enough time. They are doing a lot of damage to our credit rating, by spending money we clearly do not have, but they are not responsible for the drop in world oil prices or the economic slowdown. The Saudis are to blame for that.

So what made Trudeau think he could 'fix' something that is caused largely by world conditions?
Before he attended any of the summits he indicated that he intended to offer solutions to the other world leaders. Did he really think those well seasoned world leaders were going to be educated and influenced by a rookie pipsqueak like him?
If his brain was as powerful as his ego we'd all be a lot better off.
If Canada want to withdraw from the world stage and concentrate on improving our own economy there might be some hope. But that's not going to happen.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Its getting bad, the PM can't change the price of oil or other commodities but he can make a plan and initiate it. I'm not impressed with his choice for finance minister. Sure its great he is getting a shot, but we need someone who has been a shot caller not someone who is learning to make the shots. In my opinion.

I think you may be right. Ralph Goodale may have been a better choice! I predict there may be a switcheroo in the future and Ralph may be put in there!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Look, his move toward addressing the Truth and Reconciliation Commission is a good thing, even though he isn't the one who commissioned it, he gets points for addressing the findings. He has Syrian refugees getting into Canada at an accelerated rate and he is going to do an inquiry into the missing indigenous woman.

Beyond that, everything this new PM has done has been nothing short of a photo-op. The Paris talks are a lot of Countries making promises they likely won't keep and of course, he is taking a bunch of kids from the Sick Kids Hospital to the Star Wars Premiere on whose dime I'm not sure. What a guy!

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau shared this photo on Twitter Tuesday night after hosting a private
screening of Star Wars: The Force Awakens with 20 patients of the Children's Hospital of
Eastern Ontario (CHEO). (@JustinTrudeau/Twitter)

But then, this newly minted Prime Minister has yet to discuss the issue that will be most important to all Canadians when the other shoe really begins to drop. How are we going to fix the economy with a shrinking dollar, falling energy revenues and jobs drying up at an accelerated rate?

I heard a lot of promises regarding economic stimulation, but I've yet to see anything but one silly photo op after another. Maybe its time he started acting like a leader instead of the front man for a boy band. Is this guy our Prime Minister or The Justin Bieber of politics?

Questions for Canadians to ponder:

• Where is the much needed revenue going to come from now that oil is in the dumper and the amount income tax dollars continue to shrink?
  • What is plan is in place to get Canadians back to work?
  • How will we replace the lost tax dollars from the energy sector?
I know that there are some folks, who are not at the nucleus of this economic meltdown, that think there is nothing to worry about, but this is just the beginning of a perfect storm. This is going to ripple out from Alberta and Saskatchewan across every province and those of you who didn't realize it, are now going to feel its effects, because the "horrible tar sand money" the "nimby's" were all whining about will not be there to prop up the economy.

I see you spending like a drunken sailor, but where's the plan Prime Minister Trudeau?
Justin is a little too busy being the national daycare centre.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
If Canada want to withdraw from the world stage and concentrate on improving our own economy there might be some hope. But that's not going to happen.

It can't and won't happen because we are a major trading nation. Most of our wealth has been derived and still does from selling resources and finished goods to foreigners. Most years, we are net exporters. This is very different from our neighbours to the south who are major importers.