What should we do when kids not intersted in study

Darlene_O

My kids have all been homeschooled at one time or another because of issues with the school system here. Right now our 13 yr old is spending his grade 8 yr with me. I work out of the home so it is easier. Our 15 yr old also had a year with us and is far beyond the other kids in his high school classes. My daughter(17) is attending high school via a program where she attends "classes" and works by herself with a teacher there to help out if the students need it. There are approximately 12 kids in this classroom. All kids learn differently. I believe that we have to be patient and understand that. I also believe that because we all have to work more..and we don't have one full time parent at home in most cases.. it is a lot harder for the kids than it was when we were young and most of us had Mom home every day when you walked in the door... JMO
All the crap in the world now sure makes it tougher..

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Most of the useful stuff they learn in school can be taught in two or three years, the rest is just filler. That is the glorified baby sitting that schools do because parents are too busy trying to keep up with the Jones. 90% of the stuff, including the uselessly large houses we live in, that most people accumulate are a waste of our time and energy. Time better spent enjoying life with our kids, if people would only simplify their lives. The system of slavery that is modern society allows for only a week or two of R&R. Something is very wrong with this picture.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Most of the useful stuff they learn in school can be taught in two or three years, the rest is just filler. That is the glorified baby sitting that schools do because parents are too busy trying to keep up with the Jones. 90% of the stuff, including the uselessly large houses we live in, that most people accumulate are a waste of our time and energy. Time better spent enjoying life with our kids, if people would only simplify their lives. The system of slavery that is modern society allows for only a week or two of R&R. Something is very wrong with this picture.

It's amazing how the vast majority of folks today, can't understand that......................it's all about wealth accumulation, but not knowing what true wealth is.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Thease days Kids have very casual behavior towards study and more on fun if you scold or talk too much on study then they threat to kill them self. Recently watched 3 Idots movie of bollywood and found it has same story but shown totally fun side of solution

take away their x box

the only xbox in my life was mean and she is gone right now, :lol:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

You are certainly right about a good deal of school being filler. One of my colleagues was very fond of saying that teachers should never underestimate their custodial role. In other words the most important thing many teachers did was to act as highly educated baby sitters. Another of his witticisms was that teachers should charge the parents $5.00 a day for baby-sitting and promise to teach them for free. Interestingly, this would actually have raised teachers' wages.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I have a grandson who is 17 in grade 11, he has genius
qualities, can do all of the school work so easy, it takes
no effort, he says he just knows everything they teach,
BUT he has not had any interest in applying that genius,
UNTIL recently, he now has a 'girlfriend', and he is a very
quiet, reserved but cheaky guy, and this new friend of his
has turned his life around, and he is co operating in
school now, handing in all of his assignments, and arriving
to school on time, and also participating in extra school
projects, and has As in everything lately.

I tried explaining to him 'how' many students would love
to have his brain, as he can learn so easy, it is a gift,
don't abuse that gift, use it positively, it is rare.
He is doing that now.

There is nothing wrong with the school, it is there for
the taking, reach out and soak in the work, get the
marks, learn, and move on to the next grade and do the
same, without constantly finding fault in the system.

It's quite amazing, she is so nice, and very down to earth.

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
What about all those college graduates that still work at Dairy Queen? Just because they got their BA degree didn't land them a job.

I've seen College dropout's realize that a piece of paper ain't going to cut it in life and they became succesfull doing what they really enjoyed doing instead which money pays them for.

So, my advice is to let the kids dabble around a bit as you never know what avenue they can stumble accross that takes up their interest in whom they may want to be some day, cause it's better to be happy and rich doing what you love to do, then to be stuck in a job that pays well that you hate.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
All to often we tell them to follow their dreams. Our school system makes people believe you should showcase your individual talents, as long as you conform to the
dictates of society. Some parents don't give a damn what the kid wants to be or is
even interested in. You are going to learn this or else. That attitude is as bad as
letting them quit everything they start when the going gets rough.
There are a few rules both ways. Find out what they really want to do, not what they
think they should be, then help them a bit, to get there. At 17 to19 leave it alone.
The real motivation will come, Girls and money. You have to work to have a girlfriend and to earn money. Now, I am a little older, I have 23 yes 23 grand kids.
One when he started to stray from the path of life, I found out he wanted to learn
music. I bought him a guitar, said no complaining until you learn to play this thing.
Today, he is a carpenter, a volunteer fireman, and has his own band.
One of the younger ones, lazy and I mean lazy, couldn't get along at home so he
came here for a few months. Got into a little trouble nothing serious, but he borrowed money for a lawyer. Made him pay back every dime.
Today, he is one of his companies best employees, he has achieved advances and
raises, he has a nice girlfriend and he too is into music. He can play drums, guitar,
and other instruments. The rest, well the teens and early twenties, they are all working and going to post secondary. They can tell me anything and I don't rat them
out to parents. By the same token, I can keep them out of trouble because they can
talk to someone who cares. Never tell a kid they can't do something from mid teens
on. Ask the all important question "Are you sure you really want to do that"
If you sincerely ask the question, they will think about it. That is only a bit of how I
handle things and for me it works but remember every kid is different.
In my years of parenting I don't think I ever gave out more than three spankings.
Punishment is a learning experience if its done right. Beside grounding someone for
two weeks, means I too am grounded enforcing their grounding.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Texas city revives paddling as it takes a swat at misbehavior

TEMPLE, TEX. -- In an era when students talk back to teachers, skip class and wear ever-more-risque clothing to school, one central Texas city has hit upon a deceptively simple solution: Bring back the paddle.
Most school districts across the country banned paddling of students long ago. Texas sat that trend out. Nearly a quarter of the estimated 225,000 students who received corporal punishment nationwide in 2006, the latest figures available, were from the Lone Star State.

But even by Texas standards, Temple is unusual. The city, a compact railroad hub of 60,000 people, banned the practice and then revived it at the demand of parents who longed for the orderly schools of yesteryear. Without paddling, "there were no consequences for kids," said Steve Wright, who runs a construction business and is Temple's school board president.

washingtonpost.com

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
What to do when the kids aren't interested in studying. I'd suggest finding a way to get them interested in studying. It's tough at first, but after you start thinking how they think, it gets easier.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
What are we punishing kids for? Is because they refuse to behave and think like us?
If so your attempts at discipline is a waste of time. Parents have unruly kids because
they failed to instill values. Now some time later they attempt to punish or beat those values into children who don't see the value of your values. As an apple farmer I always try to help employees see, if you make a mistake and create a problem with the tree, it will take 3 years to correct that problem. Same with kids, if you don't teach them the value of your values, early you will not straighten that child out you
can only hope they see its in their interest to change. Most parents only get one chance to parent right. Being to easy going, is a mistake, being hard line or overly
religious is also a mistake. Parents should never react in anger, or frustration. Your
behaviour is being watched if you handle things in an adult way, without panicking
or over reacting, it will be noticed its also leading by example. What you say doesn't
matter with a child its what you do, how you carry yourself, and actions speak louder
than words.

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey
make them work in a farm like a slave :D
no of course , just leave them alone just a while and then make clear statements about their cases,then wait and wait
afterwards, give them prizes for their even a little efforts but don't get angry when the plan doesn't work because it will some day ... it needs a bit patience and encouragement ...