What should we do when kids not intersted in study

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Talking to kids like kids is demeaning. People should talk to kids like they are adults, explain stuff, teach them stuff like they were adults. If we want responsible kids we have to give them responsibilities. Guide them, don't dictate to them.

absolutely, I agree, and let them know, that you
expect, and can see that they are capable of mature behavior
as well.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Unschooling is another real option, but, it takes *gasp* parental interaction and planning.

If I knew what I know now I would have done anything to have kept my kids out of school when they were young. I was luckier then most working and got to spend more time with them and I did teach them as well as I could and I made sure they got no leash unless they really pushed me. They turned out very good and continue to please me.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Well... I don't know that I'd call it pure bull gerry. Truth is, I wouldn't voluntarily home school my kids. I'd go insane. For purely selfish reasons I love when they leave the house in the morning for school. :lol: If they really really needed me to I suppose I'd home school or even unschool (I think a combo would be wisest personally), but, I wouldn't be happy about it.
All things considered, home schooling mine wasn't all that bad. Besides, we were more or less pushed into it by the boneheaded methods that the public school system were using. I still think it sucks that bright kids are taught at the same pace as the not so bright ones. This is one reason why they get bored and nose their way into trouble.
I think if they are bored with school, getting a job would help a lot. Otherwise, getting them interested more deeply into something they already are interested in. If they like movies, get them learning about production. If they like music, get them learning about sound engineering or something.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
All things considered, home schooling mine wasn't all that bad. Besides, we were more or less pushed into it by the boneheaded methods that the public school system were using. I still think it sucks that bright kids are taught at the same pace as the not so bright ones. This is one reason why they get bored and nose their way into trouble.
I think if they are bored with school, getting a job would help a lot. Otherwise, getting them interested more deeply into something they already are interested in. If they like movies, get them learning about production. If they like music, get them learning about sound engineering or something.

I had an interesting situation way back when my daughter
started school, grade one. I had taught her to read, from
a course I purchased from an encylopedia co., and she knew
phonics as well. The teacher couldn't figure out what to
do with her, called me up and told me I had interferred with
the school system and should not have done that. Well.
I had a little meeting with her at the school, and we and
the principal had a chat, 'a good one', and all was well
from that day on. Two years later my daughter skipped a
grade and kept moving on, third daughter did the same, it
makes a big difference what school and what teachers one
is working with.
My second daughter 'who' skipped a grade, was getting an
arrogant attitude in the class, was very bored, and needed
a challenge, as soon as they moved her up, all was well.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I had an interesting situation way back when my daughter
started school, grade one. I had taught her to read, from
a course I purchased from an encylopedia co., and she knew
phonics as well. The teacher couldn't figure out what to
do with her, called me up and told me I had interferred with
the school system and should not have done that. Well.
I had a little meeting with her at the school, and we and
the principal had a chat, 'a good one', and all was well
from that day on. Two years later my daughter skipped a
grade and kept moving on, third daughter did the same, it
is working with.
My second daughter 'who' skipped a grade, was getting an
arrogant attitude in the class, was very bored, and needed
a challenge, as soon as they moved her up, all was well.
lol I know what that's like. My kids were writing and doing simple divisions/multiplications by the time they got into school. Teachers made them print and stuff anyway. Damned foolish, IMO.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
it
is working with.

Tell me about it; my oldest daughter's grade one teacher managed to screw up her reading and put her about a year behind in her reading abilities. It took us another year of working with her to get her caught back up. I don't know what the teacher did, but her methods of teaching them to read (guess at a word, never try to sound it out, ever. ever. ever) failed miserably with my daughter.

Now she gets straight As. Still hates to read, though. I know who I blame for that.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Put the kid in a hot, smelly room and make him/her flip burgers or rivet metal pieces together - all in a set time period or there's no dinner ... 'cuz that's the future without education. Then, for dinner give him/her a half portion of soggy noodle with tomato sauce ... because one doesn't eat high off the hog on Welfare either.

vinod1975

Council Member
Jan 19, 2007
Harare , Zimbabwe
Put the kid in a hot, smelly room and make him/her flip burgers or rivet metal pieces together - all in a set time period or there's no dinner ... 'cuz that's the future without education. Then, for dinner give him/her a half portion of soggy noodle with tomato sauce ... because one doesn't eat high off the hog on Welfare either.

Are we torturing the KIDS or trying to make them understand the importance of eduvation :angryfire:

San1969

Jan 27, 2010
Thease days Kids have very casual behavior towards study and more on fun if you scold or talk too much on study then they threat to kill them self. Recently watched 3 Idots movie of bollywood and found it has same story but shown totally fun side of solution

Good Topic to start my day and forum , I am also facing the same issue

judy1105

Apr 13, 2010
Jiangsu ,China
Don't give too much study burden for your kids .Let them do what they like to do .As to the study ,you can listen what they are thinking and then give them some suggestions .

judy1105

Apr 13, 2010
Jiangsu ,China
If more courages ,they will feel encouraged,may get some interest and confidence on studies .In long term ,parents should train the kids interest on studies

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Thease days Kids have very casual behavior towards study and more on fun if you scold or talk too much on study then they threat to kill them self. Recently watched 3 Idots movie of bollywood and found it has same story but shown totally fun side of solution

What kind of trade or profession is the kid interested in pursuing in the future? Whatever it is, try to link his studies to that. that way he'll understand the relevance of what he's studying. If he doesn't understand the purpose for the topic at hand, of course he'll lose interest.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I don't think kids are much different today than they were when I was in school. Many of my fellow pupils were hard workers and did everything asked of them regarding homework, but many others copied from more conscientious students, and others did nothing at all. Many kids today are actually run off their feet with the number of activities that are lined up for them. After school jobs, sporting, and cultural activities, plus homework can wear many children down.

Here is a modern take on student activities.

Overworked Children and Their Parents

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Ask yourself the following questions.

1. What is a parent?
2. A parent is not a Childs best friend.
3 A parent is a teacher and supplements the teacher in school. Be there for your child, help they with homework, don't leave it up to the teachers in the school. They only have so much time in a day.

Now that having been said: a child should be taught how to study, either by you the parent or something like the Selvin Learning Center. http://sylvan-learning-center.com/campaigns/slc/166/index.aspx

These centers or ones like them are all over the place, they are usually very good and get the children interested in their studies, at least enough to pass.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ask yourself the following questions.

1. What is a parent?
2. A parent is not a Childs best friend.
3 A parent is a teacher and supplements the teacher in school. Be there for your child, help they with homework, don't leave it up to the teachers in the school. They only have so much time in a day.

Now that having been said: a child should be taught how to study, either by you the parent or something like the Selvin Learning Center. http://sylvan-learning-center.com/campaigns/slc/166/index.aspx

These centers or ones like them are all over the place, they are usually very good and get the children interested in their studies, at least enough to pass.

When I read that I thought, "What are they, gall stones or kidney stones?"

Actually, I think the roles are reversed. Kids are born to teach us how to live, how to find wonder in the mundane reality of life. Instead we subject them to the same tortuous brainwashing we were subjected to. We are the ones who are screwed up and kids got it right. Stop and smell the roses. All this running around is the reason we are so uptight and addicted to stupid stuff.

Last edited:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Cliffy, I agree we have a lot to learn from our children, but first there are a few basic things they must do in order to function, one of them is to learn thru studying. It is not a big philosophical issue, they just have to learn that life is not all fun and games.