What should be drinking age? Heck, when is someone an adult?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: What should be drinking age? Heck, when is someone an ad

Guns are under federal jurisdiction and you can get an FAC at 18 and you are an adult 18 federally. But the kicker is you have to be 19 to buy a hunting license.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Guns are under federal jurisdiction and you can get an FAC at 18 and you are an adult 18 federally. But the kicker is you have to be 19 to buy a hunting license.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

mike246

Feb 22, 2006

The drinking age is 19 in canada, but I don't really think it matters that much. I'm only seventeen and I've been drinking beer with my dad since I was 4. My friend's mom buy for us, and the oldest person in my group of friends is eighteen. Even my 12 year old brother drinks with his friends. It may not be right, but regardless of the legal age, it happens anyway.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: What should be drinking age? Heck, when is someone a

mike246 said:
I'm only seventeen and I've been drinking beer with my dad since I was 4.

Mike, you bring up an interesting question. Do kids who learn to drink sensibly at home with their parents get spared the eventual 'wow, I can finally drink!' attitude later on, an attitude that usually makes them go far overboard?

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

When did I have my first alcoholic drink? Probably at 5 or 6. My mother would let me have a sip of her sherry. Emu Cream, if I recall.

And in early teens, I'd be allowed a glass of wine at special meals (ie, Christmas). No big deal.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Re: RE: What should be drinking age? Heck, when is someone a

TenPenny said:
When did I have my first alcoholic drink? Probably at 5 or 6. My mother would let me have a sip of her sherry. Emu Cream, if I recall.

And in early teens, I'd be allowed a glass of wine at special meals (ie, Christmas). No big deal.

Everyone I've ever known who started drinking at the age of 19+ turns out to be some booze-mad "party animal" type that cannot handle their alcohol, like the nerdy kids who go off to UNi and become "cool".

Apparently people act like nit-wits for an indeterminate period when they first begin to drink. I'd rather that period occur when the individual is a youth than when they are older, with more responisbilities to screw up.

And responsible drinking is something you learn from family and role models. A few beers with Dad and his buddies at the Cabin goes a long way in teaching a guy how to hold his liquor and not act like a douchebag.

PiiNkyy-__

Feb 21, 2006
Quebec
Re: What should be drinking age? Heck, when is someone an ad

You know...

Teenagers drink too much now... because they arnt old enough to drink... like i mean 18; is too young.. like c'mon

teens//reckless period. //drunk && reckless... NOT A GOOD SIGN..

I agree with like some of the others... the age should be higher...

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
Re: What should be drinking age? Heck, when is someone an ad

no drinking age. remove the mystism from drinking. A lot of us drunk when we were teenagers because we weren't supposed so it was kewl to do.