What should be drinking age? Heck, when is someone an adult?

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: What should be drinking age? Heck, when is someone an ad

I was 14 and in London England on holidays with parents, eating at a hotel. I was not even questioned. Strange eh?

When I was 16 my parents would let me and my brothers have a drink or 2. As long as I did not over due it it was not a problem. They said they knew I would drink and they rather I do it at home where it is safe instead of drinking in the park or at a friends house.

I must say my parents were pretty opened minded and they knew teenagers drink so better do it at home instead of sneaking out to do it.

Hell when my kids are 16 and want a beer(or a joint for that matter) I will give them one. I am too a realist and would rather have my kids drink (or use pot)at home under my supervision. I wont force them to drink but I understand and know teenagers do drink(not all but a lot), so why fight it and make your life more miserable? This way I can teach them responsibility and make sure they do not over do it, just like my "hippie parents" did.

Some people disagree with me but I would rather have my kids try booze and/or pot if they choose to do so when myself or my wife are around. Whats the big deal they are going to try it anyways. If you object or fight it will openly make them more determined to try or experiment, then problems happen, get in a vehicle with a drunk teenager etc. At least if they try or Experiment at home We can keep an eye on them.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

I was 14 and in London England on holidays with parents, eating at a hotel. I was not even questioned. Strange eh?

When I was 16 my parents would let me and my brothers have a drink or 2. As long as I did not over due it it was not a problem. They said they knew I would drink and they rather I do it at home where it is safe instead of drinking in the park or at a friends house.

I must say my parents were pretty opened minded and they knew teenagers drink so better do it at home instead of sneaking out to do it.

Hell when my kids are 16 and want a beer(or a joint for that matter) I will give them one. I am too a realist and would rather have my kids drink (or use pot)at home under my supervision. I wont force them to drink but I understand and know teenagers do drink(not all but a lot), so why fight it and make your life more miserable? This way I can teach them responsibility and make sure they do not over do it, just like my "hippie parents" did.

Some people disagree with me but I would rather have my kids try booze and/or pot if they choose to do so when myself or my wife are around. Whats the big deal they are going to try it anyways. If you object or fight it will openly make them more determined to try or experiment, then problems happen, get in a vehicle with a drunk teenager etc. At least if they try or Experiment at home We can keep an eye on them.

Scott

Nov 5, 2004
Canada
RE: What should be drinki

I think 19 is a good age since most people don't have any financial sense before that age. At 19, you've spent at least a year (well most people have) living on your own whether it be in university or not, so you've gained some experience on how to spend money wisely. At 17 (for example) you're still living with your parents in all likelihood so any money you have wuold all get blown on booze, as you have no financial concerns. A 17 year old may be somewhat mature to know how to handle alcohol, but they still haven't tasted the real world and until a person tastes the real world, you're not really mature are you?

On a totally different note, here in Newfoundland, if you're under 19 and want to drink legally, grab your MCP card or some other piece of identification, go to Fortune, and hop on the ferry to Saint Pierre et Miquelon. In 45 minutes you can legally get as drunk as you please, provided that you're at least 16. I personally enjoyed my french class' trip to that little drinking and smuggling haven when I was 16....

Scott

Nov 5, 2004
Canada

I think 19 is a good age since most people don't have any financial sense before that age. At 19, you've spent at least a year (well most people have) living on your own whether it be in university or not, so you've gained some experience on how to spend money wisely. At 17 (for example) you're still living with your parents in all likelihood so any money you have wuold all get blown on booze, as you have no financial concerns. A 17 year old may be somewhat mature to know how to handle alcohol, but they still haven't tasted the real world and until a person tastes the real world, you're not really mature are you?

On a totally different note, here in Newfoundland, if you're under 19 and want to drink legally, grab your MCP card or some other piece of identification, go to Fortune, and hop on the ferry to Saint Pierre et Miquelon. In 45 minutes you can legally get as drunk as you please, provided that you're at least 16. I personally enjoyed my french class' trip to that little drinking and smuggling haven when I was 16....

Scott

Nov 5, 2004
Canada

Montana

Jan 6, 2005
New brunswick, Canada
Re: RE: What should be drinking age? Heck, when is someone a

Rick van Opbergen said:
You know, I had my first alcoholic drink when I was 14. It was under supervision of my parents. They just basically said to me that they could not stop me from drinking whatsoever on a later time, they also thought that I had the right to drink of course some day, but they wanted me to get used to alcohol, or better, how to handle alcohol, under their supervision. I think that was the right decision to do. I have no problems with alcohol whatsoever. However, of all European youth, the Dutch encounter the biggest problems with alcohol (even before the British ...) so I can not guarantee that the approach by my parents always works (as in: most Dutch parents tend to be liberal when it comes to alcohol usage of their children, most view it as something which they should adapt to instead of prohibit)

I've done that with my son. Ever since he turned 15 I've allowed him to drink at home on the holidays and his birthday. This is limited to Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, and his birthday. My son is now 17 1/2 and these are the only times he drinks. I tend to think if parents deny their children alcohol when they're around 14/15, then these teens will go out and drink, in spite of their parents.

Montana

Jan 6, 2005
New brunswick, Canada

Rick van Opbergen said:
You know, I had my first alcoholic drink when I was 14. It was under supervision of my parents. They just basically said to me that they could not stop me from drinking whatsoever on a later time, they also thought that I had the right to drink of course some day, but they wanted me to get used to alcohol, or better, how to handle alcohol, under their supervision. I think that was the right decision to do. I have no problems with alcohol whatsoever. However, of all European youth, the Dutch encounter the biggest problems with alcohol (even before the British ...) so I can not guarantee that the approach by my parents always works (as in: most Dutch parents tend to be liberal when it comes to alcohol usage of their children, most view it as something which they should adapt to instead of prohibit)

I've done that with my son. Ever since he turned 15 I've allowed him to drink at home on the holidays and his birthday. This is limited to Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, and his birthday. My son is now 17 1/2 and these are the only times he drinks. I tend to think if parents deny their children alcohol when they're around 14/15, then these teens will go out and drink, in spite of their parents.

Montana

Jan 6, 2005
New brunswick, Canada

Rick van Opbergen said:

Montana

Jan 6, 2005
New brunswick, Canada

Someone said:
Hey Montana, so I guess this will be off topic, but I've never been to New Brunswick before. What can you tell me about the province that I would want to see? I'm curious. Since it is Atlantic Canada, I imagine it's nice.

But yes, I think 19 is ideal. Under 19, maybe OK in controlled environments, as long as you're in secondary.

I live on the coast, so there are a lot of beatiful coastal views and beaches here. There's the Bouctouche dunes, which have a boardwalk that goes from one end to another. I think it's about 4 miles long. There's Magnetic Hill in Moncton. Le Pays De La Sagouine in Bouctouche, Micmac reserve in Bouctouche. Moncton Tidal Bore. There are nature reserves and beaches everywhere. Prince Edward Island is less than an hour from where I am and Nova Scotia is close to 3 hours from here.

Montana

Jan 6, 2005
New brunswick, Canada

Someone said:
Hey Montana, so I guess this will be off topic, but I've never been to New Brunswick before. What can you tell me about the province that I would want to see? I'm curious. Since it is Atlantic Canada, I imagine it's nice.

But yes, I think 19 is ideal. Under 19, maybe OK in controlled environments, as long as you're in secondary.

I live on the coast, so there are a lot of beatiful coastal views and beaches here. There's the Bouctouche dunes, which have a boardwalk that goes from one end to another. I think it's about 4 miles long. There's Magnetic Hill in Moncton. Le Pays De La Sagouine in Bouctouche, Micmac reserve in Bouctouche. Moncton Tidal Bore. There are nature reserves and beaches everywhere. Prince Edward Island is less than an hour from where I am and Nova Scotia is close to 3 hours from here.

Montana

Jan 6, 2005
New brunswick, Canada

Someone said:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

What I find absolutely amazing is that here in BC you have to be 19 to drink. Your 18 before you have your "full" licence to drive. But you can have and raise a baby at 13 (average). How is it ok to fuck up someone else's live ok (the baby) but not your own (by drinking)?

I was allowed to alcohol from as early as I could remember. Any time wine was served with dinner I was given a glass. After all it's rude not to drink when a toast is made. I played bartender for my parents parties. I always took the first sip of beer, and the last drop of rye, vodka, or whatever was in the mix.

I don't think it affected me adversely since I don't often drink now as an adult. I will have the occasional drink. Very rarely I'll imbibe too much depending on the party.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

What I find absolutely amazing is that here in BC you have to be 19 to drink. Your 18 before you have your "full" licence to drive. But you can have and raise a baby at 13 (average). How is it ok to fuck up someone else's live ok (the baby) but not your own (by drinking)?

I was allowed to alcohol from as early as I could remember. Any time wine was served with dinner I was given a glass. After all it's rude not to drink when a toast is made. I played bartender for my parents parties. I always took the first sip of beer, and the last drop of rye, vodka, or whatever was in the mix.

I don't think it affected me adversely since I don't often drink now as an adult. I will have the occasional drink. Very rarely I'll imbibe too much depending on the party.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004

you can legally buy a gun at 18? in BC? I thought that age of majority in BC is 19....

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004

you can legally buy a gun at 18? in BC? I thought that age of majority in BC is 19....

Someone

Nominee Member
Dec 31, 2004