What is the truth?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Um, I read somewhere that Sweden is the best place for women to live.

Anna, Sweden has been in the vanguard for women’s rights for decades. Surprisingly, it was not the first country to give women the vote (that was New Zealand), but Sweden has been very progressive when it comes to women’s rights.

Sweden changed the rule of succession for the monarchy in 1950s, now the first child, man or woman becomes the monarch. This is in contrast with Britain, where they still have the law that first MALE child becomes the monarch.

Sweden has had high representation by women in local, national governments for a long time now. We visited Sweden about 25 years ago. That time the tour guide told us that in Stockholm local assembly, 41 out of 100 councilors were women (41 of the 100 ‘tyrants’ are women, as she put it).

So yes, my guess is the Sweden would be the best country in the world for women. Canada is probably the best country in the world for gays.
Yeah, I googled all that, too.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus by the Supreme Being in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." Thomas Jefferson

"The last thing men seek is the truth." Anonymous

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus by the Supreme Being in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson was truly a wise man, Spade.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
But not as good as Iceland, Norway, and Australia. So we could be a lot better.

Your information is out of date, Anna. As of 2008, Canada ranks above Australia, and below Norway and Iceland (but above Sweden).

List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

USA is No. 15, USA always ranks fairly low in terms of quality of life.

But third in the whole world is not bad at all, I will take it.

But the point is, there is very little difference between the top countries. Thus Norway and Iceland (No.s 1 and 2) have an index of .968, while Canada has index of .967 (Australia, behind Canada has an index of .965). So it really doesn’t matter whether Canada is No, 1, 2, 3 or 4, they are all very close.

And Canada has consistently been at the very top or near the top for a long time now. By comparison, index for USA is .950, far below the top ranking countries.

So whether Canada is No, 1, 2 or 3 is really quibbling, in my opinion. The survey says that quality of life in Canada is very good, among the best in the world, and that is good enough for me.

Incidentally, India and China, the upcoming countries are 132 and 94 respectively.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
And none of this has anything to do with the truth, just justification for not looking at the truth. Quantifying life in any country amounts to nothing more than an opinion based on personal preferences. That is what the truth to each individual is - an opinion or preference. It is only relevant to the beholder. But if all you know from what you have been taught are lies and fiction, how would you know the difference. You wouldn't know the truth if it bit you on the ass or you would resist it by all possible means, including killing the messenger.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009

That leaves us women to find it. :D

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
But not as good as Iceland, Norway, and Australia. So we could be a lot better.

Your information is out of date, Anna. As of 2008, Canada ranks above Australia, and below Norway and Iceland (but above Sweden).

List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Looks like Wiki could use a little updating. The place I got the info from said April 2009. But that's neither here nor there, really, as I found a vastly more comprehensive study at this link:

2009 Quality of Life Index

andf the UN's report is a human development study (using 3 criteria) rather than a quality of life study.

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
And none of this has anything to do with the truth, just justification for not looking at the truth. Quantifying life in any country amounts to nothing more than an opinion based on personal preferences. That is what the truth to each individual is - an opinion or preference. It is only relevant to the beholder. But if all you know from what you have been taught are lies and fiction, how would you know the difference. You wouldn't know the truth if it bit you on the ass or you would resist it by all possible means, including killing the messenger.
And that may be your truth, but mine differs.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Looks like Wiki could use a little updating. The place I got the info from said April 2009. But that's neither here nor there, really, as I found a vastly more comprehensive study at this link:

2009 Quality of Life Index

andf the UN's report is a human development study (using 3 criteria) rather than a quality of life study.

Anna, this quality of life index is from a private (I think American) organization, so I don’t know how reliable the report is. I would tend to believe a Untied Nations report, rather than one put out by an American organization. UN report is more likely to be impartial.

Anyway, one thinks of France (and indeed the whole Europe) as very expensive. I was surprised to see how reasonable the prices in the French supermarket are.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

No no no no no no, the truth is the truth. Not opinion, not acceptence of anything.
A stone that weighs exactly one kilo is in fact weighing one kilo. That is the truth, regardless of Fred's opinion that it weighs half a kilo and Frank's insistance that it weighs 2 kilos. The truth is it's weight is one kilo.

There is the difference.

Choosing to think that no one can think for themselves or sus out the truth from the evidence they can gather is not the truth. Only opinion.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
No no no no no no, the truth is the truth. Not opinion, not acceptence of anything.
A stone that weighs exactly one kilo is in fact weighing one kilo. That is the truth, regardless of Fred's opinion that it weighs half a kilo and Frank's insistance that it weighs 2 kilos. The truth is it's weight is one kilo.

There is the difference.

Choosing to think that no one can think for themselves or sus out the truth from the evidence they can gather is not the truth. Only opinion.

And what makes a rock weigh a kilo? When viewed through an electron microscope we find vast amounts of space and practically no substance/matter. What is it then that weighs a kilo? If the scale used is nothing but vast amounts of space, how does it measure weight? Science produces a conundrum. It requires instruments that have no substance to measure stuff that has no substance.

What is it that holds our reality together? What differentiates a rock from our flesh? How does pure energy become an object? If an atomic structure is a mirror image of a solar system, what exactly are we looking at and who is doing the looking? Who is measuring and observing our reality when there is only movement of energy to observe? Who decides what is real and what isn't?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
What differentiates a rock from our flesh?

The rock is made up of rock molecules. Flesh is made up of human molecules. In women theses molecules are mostly a combination of the sugar, spice and the newly discovered everythingnice atom. That is THE truth.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
And what makes a rock weigh a kilo?

The discription of it I think.

When viewed through an electron microscope we find vast amounts of space and practically no substance/matter.

Okay.

What is it then that weighs a kilo?

The rock in my example.

If the scale used is nothing but vast amounts of space, how does it measure weight?

Ice cream has no bones. If a hammer is the camera who is the developer?
Stop trying to be mystic and simply state your opinion. Through that we or at least I will be able to learn what it is that you want to express.

Science produces a conundrum. It requires instruments that have no substance to measure stuff that has no substance.

Or did the conundrum exist and science started with noticing it, then attempting an accurate discription?

What is it that holds our reality together?

Psychy?

What differentiates a rock from our flesh?

Senses

How does pure energy become an object?

Change.

If an atomic structure is a mirror image of a solar system, what exactly are we looking at and who is doing the looking?

An atomic sturcture and we are doing the looking. Isn't that what you said?

Who is measuring and observing our reality when there is only movement of energy to observe?

Who says someone is measuring and observing our reality?

To be honest, you're not making a lot of sense to me at the moment.

Who decides what is real and what isn't?

We each do. But there are agreed standards.

Is this some sort of why are we here and what is God business again?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
And what makes a rock weigh a kilo? When viewed through an electron microscope we find vast amounts of space and practically no substance/matter. What is it then that weighs a kilo? If the scale used is nothing but vast amounts of space, how does it measure weight? Science produces a conundrum. It requires instruments that have no substance to measure stuff that has no substance.

What is it that holds our reality together? What differentiates a rock from our flesh? How does pure energy become an object? If an atomic structure is a mirror image of a solar system, what exactly are we looking at and who is doing the looking? Who is measuring and observing our reality when there is only movement of energy to observe? Who decides what is real and what isn't?

Cliffy, let us just say that your reality seems to be different than that of most people.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
There are many "truths" that are generally accepted in various cultures that are not in agreement with other cultures. Even in our culture there are disagreements about the validity of certain "truths".
* Diseases are caused by viruses and bacteria. Or are they caused by states of mind or emotions?
* God is real - God is fiction.
* Political left and right.
* Matter is solid or pure energy
* Our reality is real or relative, subjective or objective.

There are those who think we live in the Matrix (a computer construct based on millennium of mind programming) while others find it is unquestionably real and solid. many of us feel that life is just what it seems and cannot be changed and there are those who believe it is just a program and can be changed by changing our minds, by imagining something better than what we think is the way it is.
If you could change the way things are, what would you envision it to be like?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
There are many "truths" that are generally accepted in various cultures that are not in agreement with other cultures. Even in our culture there are disagreements about the validity of certain "truths".
* Diseases are caused by viruses and bacteria. Or are they caused by states of mind or emotions?
* God is real - God is fiction.
* Political left and right.
* Matter is solid or pure energy
* Our reality is real or relative, subjective or objective.

There are those who think we live in the Matrix (a computer construct based on millennium of mind programming) while others find it is unquestionably real and solid. many of us feel that life is just what it seems and cannot be changed and there are those who believe it is just a program and can be changed by changing our minds, by imagining something better than what we think is the way it is.

Oh I understand now, you are confused Cliffy. Belief and truth seem alike but they are not. Belief is what you think something is, while the truth is what it is.

If you could change the way things are, what would you envision it to be like?

I don't know, but I realize now that to change one thing creates change in other things that you may not want or understand.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Oh, I am not confused. I am posting questions about our beliefs about reality because there are so many different views and every one thinks theirs is the only one worth consideration. There are many different ways to experience reality but if they do not agree with yours it must be false.

I had the opportunity to experience various situations with aboriginal people that are generally not acceptable within the lexicon of the dominant society. I experienced them because I was able to step outside the accepted beliefs about reality (how I was able to do that is another story). What I concluded was, that some aspects of their reality are different than ours and that reality is truly in the eye of the beholder.

What charismatic christians experience as a spiritual experience is similar but skeptics will explain them away by talking about chemical reactions in the brain or just plain delusion. I see it as just a different way of experiencing life based on different belief systems.

It all comes down to accepting others right to their point of view. I question the validity of everything because some work in my reality and some don't, but others have different views and experiences so who am I to question what they perceive. I think it is more about getting along and not classifying anybody as being crazy because I don't perceive the same way as they do.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Anna, this quality of life index is from a private (I think American) organization, so I don’t know how reliable the report is. I would tend to believe a Untied Nations report, rather than one put out by an American organization. UN report is more likely to be impartial.

Anyway, one thinks of France (and indeed the whole Europe) as very expensive. I was surprised to see how reasonable the prices in the French supermarket are.
roflmao The UN impartial? That's hilarious.
Thanks for that, even though my ribs hurt a little now.

I don't suppose it occurred to you that if the org. was partial to the USA it would have put the USA farther up the ladder? lmao
If you disbelieve that anyone other than the UN could be impartial, do your own research and publish a study.

lmao You remind me of that beagle in Walt Disney cartoon that keeps tripping over its own ears except you trip over your own head. lmao aaaaaaaaaahahahhahahahaa