What could possibly go wrong?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
What military and branch exactly did you serve in? Couldn't be the Canadian one as we have minimum standards for our women.
Roger that. (Insert insult to Canadian forces here.) I was in the USAF. (Insert insult to the USAF here.)

But Yes, someone who can easily crank out 50 p/u is more likely to be able to physically perform when required then the one who grunts and sweats out 1 or 2 half hearted ones.
So, is that what the standard is? "More likely?" Why not establish a standard that relates to the performance? I return to the example of my local FD, which requires you to hump a 150-lb hose up five floors five times. That's a job performance-based standard.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So, is that what the standard is? "More likely?" Why not establish a standard that relates to the performance? I return to the example of my local FD, which requires you to hump a 150-lb hose up five floors five times. That's a job performance-based standard.

Does every firefighter candidate have to do that?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
1 push-up, 14 push-ups...who cares...if you can get away from a cop by shoving her or making her cry...well, we'd rather have a big brute, wirey runner or MMA wrassler type then....besides, there's a difference between (as those types like to say) um, 'employment' equity and 'hiring' equity.

anyway, ebola.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Hopefully they do same for physicians.

Doctors under 35 in Canada
Female: 3447
Male: 2123

Enrollment in Canadian medical Schools, 2012/13:
Males: 4990
Females: 6385.

Don't hear the feminists going off about these staitsics very often.

Well to be fair "going off" would imply the feminists are AGAINST something. They're not going to be against women getting higher education considering just 20yrs ago, the stats would have been entirely different.

That's true. But dropping and responding to an enemy ambush and popping back up from the ground with all your gear on quickly to advance... then dropping down again... then popping up again to advance. If you can't do that quickly perhaps dropping an pumping out 50 in training would have been beneficial.

What you are describing here is what my gym calls Burphees (minus the gear). Hate them. Just thought I'd through that in there.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What you are describing here is what my gym calls Burphees (minus the gear). Hate them. Just thought I'd through that in there.

Great exercise eh? I do similar ones with P90X. Love em.

In the Marines we called them Bends & Thrusts.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Great exercise eh? I do similar ones with P90X. Love em.

In the Marines we called them Bends & Thrusts.

hmmm, like the sound of that.

so much more inspiring then...burphees. gah!

I once walked up a mountain for 11km carrying 35lbs and it took me 5 hrs. I damn near floated off the planet once my backpack was removed. Sadly, I'm hoping to do it again several times next summer. Think I might be broken.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Head and shoulders knees and toes, knees and toes....

It's the toes that get ya every time.

not if I'm sitting in a chair, beside for people who are all leg, toe touches are more difficult *sniff*

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
not if I'm sitting in a chair, beside for people who are all leg, toe touches are more difficult *sniff*

LOL. This might be my new excuse...course my yoga instructor will probably to tell me to grab the back of my ankles and forget trying to touch the floor. Do you have a reason why I can't do that? Big boobs is out of the question...that's something you can't hide. lol

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
That's true. But dropping and responding to an enemy ambush and popping back up from the ground with all your gear on quickly to advance... then dropping down again... then popping up again to advance. If you can't do that quickly perhaps dropping an pumping out 50 in training would have been beneficial.

OK, now you're talking about burpees. Just got one thing to say about that. BUCK FURPEES!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
We would be in trouble with that one. First we don't have any buildings that tall. And some of our volunteers are over 70. Course you get what you pay for.
I'm talking pros, not volunteers (which we also have). The older ones tend to be on desk duty and exempt, but anyone who is assigned to respond to emergencies has to pass the test.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
We are all pros. Some just made a career out of what the rest of us do for $hits &giggles.
Absolutely. I meant "pro" in the purest sense, i.e., paid for the work. No reflection on the skills, motivation, dedication, or effectiveness of vols, who have my deepest respect. Fireguys (many of whom are gals) are the best!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Nope, Grain and Eagle already addressed it. You're just pissy because I've embarrassed you recently, and want to pick a fight.

I'm not interested, I have better ways to spend my time, but thanks for loving me that much.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
Nope, Grain and Eagle already addressed it. You're just pissy because I've embarrassed you recently, and want to pick a fight.

I'm not interested, I have better ways to spend my time, but thanks for loving me that much.
You're starting to get bored with his dancing and bob and weave too?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Nope, Grain and Eagle already addressed it.

No No they haven't. I can understand why you wish to avoid the question. Tell you what, you don't have to tell me about a time you needed to do a push-up.... Just a time when somebody you knew in the service had to do one. Otherwise, the honourable thing to do would be to apologize to TB for your silly attempt at an insult. You do know what honour is don't you?