What bugs you and what would you do about it?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Re #37.

JLM, do not take this personally, but another thing that bugs me is when I see words that really do not belong in any civil discourse.

Words that are the vernacular to bodily functions, but not describing your feelings and/or lack thereof.

And, appearently - according to your post - necessary to express your opinion.

Try to find a less descriptive/offensive synonym.

I'm not sure why something like that would bug you. Words and phrases over time sometimes take on new meanings. "Piss" is just another word, why would it be more offensive than "hiss", "miss" or "this"? I try to use words that everyone can understand and are short and to the point. The term "bug me" I would say is just as "vernacular".

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Maybe one or two people chained to desks in the basement at Sony... I began to get really pissed about this when I found out that "HDTV ready" really means "Not ready for HDTV signals, you need another box." It's all !#$!#@$!@$ marketing terminology. After weeks of digging around I finally figured out that what I wanted was a tv set with 1080p in the specs, no mention of upconversion, and an internal digital tuner that didn't require an extra external box to decode anything. And in another few years I'd bet the #!$!@$s will change it all again. They should define a standard and stick to it for the average lifetime of a tv set.

Digital camera specs really vex me too. I bought a Canon AE-1 SLR camera in 1976, and it served me well for 30 years, during which I bought several additional lenses for it. When I started to investigate digital SLRs a few years ago, I discovered I could not buy a Canon camera body my lenses would fit onto, everything I owned was useless, top quality lenses I once paid many $hundreds for, all still in pristine condition (I take VERY good care of my equipment), were suddenly worth nothing, I had to start over again if I wanted to go digital. Photo gear for non-professional but knowledgeable photographers like me who want top quality equipment used to be something you could buy once in a lifetime. Now they're like personal computers, obsolete the moment you buy them. At the very least, people who make cameras should provide a way to use their older lenses with them. Most of them don't, and ought to be shot and pissed on for it. It's all marketing hype; megapixels really don't matter at all for 99% of photographers, a 3 megapixel camera will provide perfectly satisfactory print images up to at least 8x10, and you can't even buy a 3 megapixel camera anymore, except possibly as a camera of seriously poor optical quality built into a cell phone.

Other things that seriously bug me, that I really can't do anything about because the civil rights and free speech laws quite rightly prevent me from following my instincts:

Creationists, and their tarted up cousins, Intelligent Designers; they're either ignorant or stupid, possibly both.
New Age mystics; see above.
Kevin Trudeau, a multiply-convicted felon still promoting his crap about things "they" don't want you to know.
Jenny McArthy, the "vaccination causes autism" diva.
Oprah Winfrey. Gawd, where to begin...
Dr. Phil. See above.
Late night cable tv. Jesus, what a wasteland of woo-woo BS.
Conspiracy theorists. Learn to think, you fools, try to understand probability and evidence.
Religious fundamentalists, of any stripe. Your scriptures are transparent fables, your claims are demonstrably false, you have nothing sensible to contribute to any discussion.

Hmmm... maybe I've turned into a cranky old man. The list of things that bug me is endless.

I quote Dexter's post because it is an excellent post that absolutely of mirrors my own frustration over thousands of dollars spent on now defunct film cameras and all the myriad attatchments, lenses of every description, motor winders, etc and every other damned accessory picked up on the occasion of a birthday or whatever over twenty five years that are now worth just about zip. Who do I complain to? Nobody. Read it and weep.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I quote Dexter's post because it is an excellent post that absolutely of mirrors my own frustration over thousands of dollars spent on now defunct film cameras and all the myriad attatchments, lenses of every description, motor winders, etc and every other damned accessory picked up on the occasion of a birthday or whatever over twenty five years that are now worth just about zip. Who do I complain to? Nobody. Read it and weep.

When enough people quit buy this equipment at the rip off prices, the foolishness will end.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
When enough people quit buy this equipment at the rip off prices, the foolishness will end.

Exactly! If nobody bought a Sham-Wow, we would not have to watch that "annoying prick". If people quit buying things from telephone sales people, my phone would not be ringing all the time.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"I'm not sure why something like that would bug you. Words and phrases over time sometimes take on new meanings. "Piss" is just another word, why would it be more offensive than "hiss", "miss" or "this"? I try to use words that everyone can understand and are short and to the point. The term "bug me" I would say is just as "vernacular"."

JLM, it is the mental laziness that bugs me. Your favourite word consists of six letters. Its synonym, "peeved" consists of six letters.

Why not be civilized?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"I'm not sure why something like that would bug you. Words and phrases over time sometimes take on new meanings. "Piss" is just another word, why would it be more offensive than "hiss", "miss" or "this"? I try to use words that everyone can understand and are short and to the point. The term "bug me" I would say is just as "vernacular"."

JLM, it is the mental laziness that bugs me. Your favourite word consists of six letters. Its synonym, "peeved" consists of six letters.

Why not be civilized?

You're getting into semantics now.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
One thing that bugs me is the Prime Minister's belief that we ordinary Canadian's can't tell when he's being insincere. Like the other day, after he said the Canadian economy is on the mend, he added: "I have to say this; it's my job!" So, now he has such a low opinion of us that he thinks we can't tell when he's telling a whopper! Like, really!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Just what the HELL do you mean???
He's kidding with you...lighten up...;-)
One thing that bugs me is the Prime Minister's belief that we ordinary Canadian's can't tell when he's being insincere. Like the other day, after he said the Canadian economy is on the mend, he added: "I have to say this; it's my job!" So, now he has such a low opinion of us that he thinks we can't tell when he's telling a whopper! Like, really!
:roll:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Anyone else notice that the two longest "What Bugs Me" posts are
both from people in Saskatchewan? Coincidence? Does that Bug anyone? 8O

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Back to the topic and back to the lighter side and back to the supermarket:

It bugs me when people leave their carts just about anywhere while they go to search for and pick up stuff elsewhere, with their abandonded carts blocking the way of everybody else. Mostly crossways in the aisle.

If I had my way, I would hire kids for 25 cents per cart to push away those carts to the opposite end of the supermarket.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The rules of the road should apply in the supermarket I guess.

Added - Of course, that would mean that supermarkets would have to put signal lights on all the carts so seniors could leave them on for three days.

Hazmart

Council Member
Sep 29, 2007
Anyone else notice that the two longest "What Bugs Me" posts are
both from people in Saskatchewan? Coincidence? Does that Bug anyone? 8O

That does not shock me at all! :lol: Definitely not just a coincidence. It is just the way we like to communicate! ;-)

On that note what bugs me a lot are the kids in the service industry, who make is shockingly clear that they would rather be anywhere else than at work. They make no effort to be quick or efficient at the jobs and seem unable to crack even the smallest smile. You can be as pleasant as pie to them, ask them how their day is going and all you get is "... fine... "

Even worse, trying to find someone to answer a questions at stores like Canadian Tire or Totem. It is like a big game of hide and seek, they see me coming with that questions look on my face and they are gone! They bolt, run off to hide. There I am looking down each isle to see if I can actually find one miserable kid who will probably not know the answer and not know anyone else who might anyway.

*Sigh* I have this to look forward to this afternoon!:lol::lol:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
It bugs me that gardening has to be so complicated. Typical conversation at a garden shop:

Me: My pine tree is not growing well. What could be wrong?
Store: Is it a laphranglimrux?
Me: What is a laphranglimrux?
Store: A non-native species that grows best in semi-acid soil under wet conditions and mild sun when it isn't planted near a rostralixatril.
Me: Ahh..have you got any good fertilizer?
Store: We have wheatgerm anti-loxide perma slow release 31-11-0 which is high nitrogine and low on phosphorous..good for northern regions rated 5-6. Would that be sufficient?
Me: Have you got any Miracle Grow?
Store: Yes but it isn't hardy in parital sandy soil conditions with oxide levels below 36.9.
Me: Sounds good, I'll take it.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Back to the topic and back to the lighter side and back to the supermarket:

It bugs me when people leave their carts just about anywhere while they go to search for and pick up stuff elsewhere, with their abandonded carts blocking the way of everybody else. Mostly crossways in the aisle.

If I had my way, I would hire kids for 25 cents per cart to push away those carts to the opposite end of the supermarket.

Oh yah, first most cart here in BC use a dollar so most kids would gladly take your money and the do the following..

Take away shopping carts under peoples noses as fast as they could to return it ( hence $1.00 from cart and $0.25 from you ).

The store would quickly close from shopper being royally peeved at this..

It's bad enough people take your carts now as I had one take it from me last week and it was only 3 feet from me, while I unbuckled my son from his car seat. :angryfire:

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Still at the supermarket.

In our area, SOBEY'S asks for no money for using their shopping carts. Therefore, lots of azzh0ies take their carts, unload them and leave them wherever on the parking lot.

What I would do is hire some old timer to keep an eye on all who abandon their shopping carts in such irresponsible manner. Take license number. Find owner's name. Get store to ban above azzh0ies from shopping in store forever.