What are Canadians' Opinions of America?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
Ah yes, Chomsky, who so correctly wrote on the fifth freedom of America, the freedom to rape, steal, dominate, to protect the privilage of those that hold it, ....

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I could never figure out why Chomsky didn't move out of the America he seemed to dislike so much....could have been those huge "privileges" he was getting from MIT...

meta4r

Feb 17, 2006
Re: RE: What are Canadians' Opinions of America?

Jay said:
I could never figure out why Chomsky didn't move out of the America he seemed to dislike so much....could have been those huge "privileges" he was getting from MIT...

Does this mean that you think love of country should be more important or somehow seperate from internal critical analysis? Dissent does not equal disloyalty. Whether or not you agree with Chomsky, he has the right to criticize his government and reap the benefits of his labors within that system.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I agree... But he seems to think more like a European than an American if you know what I mean....I just think he would feel more comfortable living in Paris than Boston.

meta4r

Feb 17, 2006

Jay said:
I agree...
You agree with...?

That love of country must include dissent and critical self analysis? Or did your reply actually avoid the question? :)

meta4r

Feb 17, 2006
RE: What are Canadians' O

Do you also detect the reason for it? I don't mean you any offense, I like you actually, but you still have only answered my question via omission, it made me laugh.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Oooo Chomsky, the guy who turned Ho Chi Minh and the Vietcong into romantic heroes while claiming Mao’s “relatively livable” and “just society” should be implemented in the states?

And he has a moral compass of what democracy is? :roll:

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
meta4r said:
Do you also detect the reason for it? I don't mean you any offense, I like you actually, but you still have only answered my question via omission, it made me laugh.
8)

meta4r said:
That love of country must include dissent and critical self analysis? Or did your reply actually avoid the question? :)

I agree that the love of country includes dissent and self analysis. It seems Chomsky has gone a few steps beyond and has made a career of it.

meta4r

Feb 17, 2006
RE: What are Canadians' O

Okay, okay, now it's going to be a tag team about Chomsky used to avoid the subject of the posting. The author of the quoted article was Alvetina Rea. She backed up one argument in one paragraph with Chomsky. The bulk of her arguments are from Habermas. If you want to criticize her argument, name it and address that. You betray your attempts at obfuscation with this deliberate avoidance of subject.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
My fault....I was just replying to the caracal kid's comment....I'm bad, and I need Haggis to spank me.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Avoidance seemed to work just fine when you were defending Chomsky's comments and why he should be a voice of opposition, but when confronted with something "negative", you go on the defense. I personally find Chomsky bias and hypocritical in his approach, as I do most leftist ideology, because he seeks to discredit anything that doesn't conform to his "world views" without the benefit of comparison and even worse, downplaying anything to a game of statistical numbers, when it suits him of course.

krayzy-kutie

Nominee Member
May 10, 2005
Alberta
I dont hate America. I dislike certain things about them. I hate the way they dont really know anything about Canada, honestly how many Americans can say they really know Canada. Here in schools in Canada we learn about the states, their imports,outports,politics,trades,currency,military...the whole American system.We hear about them in the media and almost everywhere else we look. I have never known an American that can tell me all of that about Canada.

meta4r

Feb 17, 2006

Jay said:
It seems Chomsky has gone a few steps beyond and has made a career of it.

I haven't read enough of his writings to know just how overboard. I probably would have as many differences with his opinions as you do, although I doubt that they would be the same differences.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think not said:
Avoidance seemed to work just fine when you were defending Chomsky's comments and why he should be a voice of opposition, but when confronted with something "negative", you go on the defense. I personally find Chomsky bias and hypocritical in his approach, as I do most leftist ideology, because he seeks to discredit anything that doesn't conform to his "world views" without the benefit of comparison and even worse, downplaying anything to a game of statistical numbers, when it suits him of course.

Nope, I deserve a spanking from Haggis and I'm not leaving without one!!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I think not said:
Oooo Chomsky, the guy who turned Ho Chi Minh and the Vietcong into romantic heroes while claiming Mao’s “relatively livable” and “just society” should be implemented in the states?

And he has a moral compass of what democracy is? :roll:

Chomsky is an American patriot, if it wern,t for the like of him I would already have unleashed the Liegions of The Darkbeaver and democratized and freed your downtrodden masses. :lol:
By the way ITN who are your heros?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
darkbeaver said:
Chomsky is an American patriot, if it wern,t for the like of him I would already have unleashed the Liegions of The Darkbeaver and democratized and freed your downtrodden masses. :lol:
By the way ITN who are your heros?

Chomsky is the personification of American democracy, he can call for the destruction of the US system and all it represents and get rich off of it.

Thomas Paine
George Washington
Martin Luther King Jr.
Alexander Hamilton

In that order.

meta4r

Feb 17, 2006

Jay said:
My fault....I was just replying to the caracal kid's comment....I'm bad, and I need Haggis to spank me.

Yeah, he did that to one of my other posts too. (or was that the beav?) He emphasized the most radical and controversial aspects of my posts, inviting disruptive feedback. Maybe he's trying to set you up there? I am actually more moderate than I appear. I like to think that we are all right and that we can reach agreement or at least agree to disagree with civility.

While Haggis has the paddle out she may as well whack me for leading you on there.

Back to topic...
As a Canadian, I have an overall positive impression of America. (I have traveled in 48 states and lived in many of them). The people are full of goodwill. However, I disagree with any of the country's policy decisions that controvert the human principal of "love thy neighbor as thyself" They imprison instead of rehabilitate. Exploit instead of empower. And dictate rather than cooperate.

<edit for accuracy>