Well anyone with a brain knew the West would not go to War over the Ukraine.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Am I right in my conclusion.

The people of Crimea voted to leave the Ukraine and join Russia.

Putin through a military presence has made that happen.

I don't see the problem.........

The head of the referendum committee in Ukraine's Crimea region says more than 95 per cent of voters have approved splitting off and joining Russia.

Crimea applies to be part of Russian Federation after vote to leave Ukraine | World news | theguardian.com

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
There's the breaking of international law argument and the claim from the west that this was an illegitimate referendum because everyone had a gun barrel pressed against their backsides.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The books are ugly, there were only two fixes, divine intervention or war. International law is a paper based expedient easily circumvented by tanks.

International law, international banking and the international community are identical.

Anyone with a brain knows the wars already started on 9/11.

To quote the Italian philosopher Diego Fusaro: “With the collapse of the bipolar structure of the universe, it has started a new phase of conflicts, all different, and at the same time all inside the new Fourth World War. This one is a geopolitical and cultural war declared by the Universal Monarchy to the rest of the world. A war against all the peoples and nations that are not ready to submit themselves to its power, i.e. to its politics of world’s dominion through the commodity-form.”

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The books are ugly, there were only two fixes, divine intervention or war. International law is a paper based expedient easily circumvented by tanks.

International law, international banking and the international community are identical.

Anyone with a brain knows the wars already started on 9/11.

To quote the Italian philosopher Diego Fusaro: “With the collapse of the bipolar structure of the universe, it has started a new phase of conflicts, all different, and at the same time all inside the new Fourth World War. This one is a geopolitical and cultural war declared by the Universal Monarchy to the rest of the world. A war against all the peoples and nations that are not ready to submit themselves to its power, i.e. to its politics of world’s dominion through the commodity-form.”
I really shouldn't, but I can't help myself.

OK, moonbat, who's the Universal Monarch?

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Haven't seen anything intellect coming from you so you must be part of the problem..eh!!

**intelligent**

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
So internationally thug life rules?
The stronger can pray on the weak at will?
No sane person should advocate territorial expansionism at gunpoint.

I ask again, does anybody actually believe that the nouveau-Soviets would have invaded the Ukraine at gunpoint if the Ukraine still possessed large numbers of
Nuclear warheads?
And what does that tell the non-nuclear nations of the world?

The EU is coming across as a bunch of navel gazing weaklings.
And Barak Obama is looking more and more like Chamberlain for our time.
However it is nice to see Canada punching well above its weight class on this issue.

On another note, Thomas Mulcair leader of the NDP stood up and strongly supported Stephen Harper and the Conservative party on this issue.
In fact he urged stronger actions from Canada..
Liberals Irwin Cotler and Chrystia Freeland told Canadian media that their Russian travel bans as a result of Harpers sanctions; “a badge of honor”.
No word from Justin as of yet.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Somehow I don't see Barak having too much skin in this game, it's more of a Brit and German thing. And if they are not interested in taking strong actions,,,well I guess nobody cares!!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
On another note, Thomas Mulcair leader of the NDP stood up and strongly supported Stephen Harper and the Conservative party on this issue.
In fact he urged stronger actions from Canada..
Liberals Irwin Cotler and Chrystia Freeland told Canadian media that their Russian travel bans as a result of Harpers sanctions; “a badge of honor”.
No word from Justin as of yet.

If memory serves, Justine has a special appreciation and respect for dictatorial regimes

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I could give a rat's *** if it's Stephanie, Justine, Thomasina or Bert. None of them are gods shooting lightning bolts from Mt. F-cking Olympus. It's you and me who run this f-cking country not the yaya sissyhood in Ottawa.

if you are willing that is.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You believe Stephan Harper is a god on Mt. Olympus chucking thunder bolts?

That would be your reality if you think mine is skewed.

And you wonder why people think you're a dumb f-ck?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
So the 58% that were Russian speaking were plants and the other 40% that also voted to join Russia were not Ukrainian speaking people? What ever you are smoking or drinking I want no part of it.

I'm going to have to ask you for a link on this one.

How many of the ones that "voted" were citizens? how many citizens were coerced into not voting. Since there was no one but Russians overseeing the "vote" how do we even know the numbers are real?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
OK, so you and the guy you're quoting don't understand the word "monarchy."

That's what I was looking for, thanks.

Stunning rebut, I'm reeling, disoriented, I can't breath, I think I'll faint.

On another note:
On the growing international crisis that is revolving around the invasion and illegal annexation of parts of the Ukraine Stephen Harper stands tall.
No other world leaders have called for as tough a set of sanctions against Russia as Harper has.
No other Western leader rushed to both Poland and the Ukraine for consultations as rapidly as Harper.
Both the G8 (7 now) and the EU have called for briefings by Harper on the situation.
Barak “line in the sand” Obama has stated that both the USA and Canada will integrate joint and equal sanctions together. One suspects that Barak will allow Harper to continue doing the heavy lifting internationally and attempt to take full credit at a later date.

I have given you a thumbs up for the funniest post in this thread thus far. TIP He's going to loose the election, start looking for new work. I hear they need labourers in Albertastan. You do seem to know how to shovel.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The pain is coming. And sanctions will increase the recession.
Recession warning for Russia - Mar. 26, 2014

The crisis over Crimea could tip the Russian economy into recession this year even without trade sanctions by the West, the World Bank warned Wednesday.

The world's 8th largest economy was already slowing rapidly due to a dearth of reforms, and recent events have exposed the weakness of a model based on using oil wealth to fund big projects and pay higher wages, it said in a report.

Europe and the U.S. imposed sanctions on several top Russian officials, and one Russian bank, in response to Moscow's annexation of Crimea. They have also warned of tougher measures to come if it destabilizes other parts of Ukraine. Russia's membership of the G8 has been suspended and a summit canceled.

Investors have pulled billions out of Russian markets in response to the crisis, and the country's central bank was forced to jack up interest rates and draw on reserves earlier this month to try to stabilize the currency.

"Recent events around the Crimea crisis have compounded the lingering confidence problem into a confidence crisis," the World Bank said in a report on the Russian economy.

Related: Visa, MasterCard resume service at two Russian banks

The bank's said its forecast for growth this year depends on how relations with the West unfold, and whether business and consumer confidence can recover. Assuming the Crimea crisis is contained, and resolved peacefully, the economy should continue to grow -- by 1.1% in 2014, down from 1.3% last year.

But if tensions escalate, leading to further uncertainty about economic sanctions, the outlook is much bleaker. Russian GDP -- worth about $2 trillion -- could shrink by 1.8% this year.

"Yet, this scenario assumes that the international community would still refrain from trade sanctions," the World Bank said.

Even so, companies and banks would find it increasingly hard to borrow from global markets, leading to reduced investment and higher financing costs, and the flight of foreign capital could intensify. Exchange rate volatility would only add to the risks for Russian companies and foreign investors, it added.

Russian stocks and the ruble plunged earlier earlier this month, but both have recovered slightly since as it became clear that Western punishment would be limited to freezing the assets and limiting the travel of some senior officials and a handful of oligarchs.

Related: Western banks lend billions to Russia

Still, the Moscow stock exchange MICEX index has lost 10% so far this year, compared with a 3% slide on emerging markets more broadly, and the ruble is 8% weaker against the dollar. Inflation is rising sharply as the devaluation makes imports more expensive.

And the rising tension with the West is slamming confidence among Russian businesses, wiping out any positive impact from the Sochi Olympics.

A monthly survey of about 200 companies in manufacturing, service, construction and agriculture found confidence in March at a 3-month low, with expectations for exports at their lowest level since last August. Production and new orders were also down.

"Growth was already extremely weak, with Russia badly needing to change its growth model and rebalance the economy away from consumption to investment. With capital flowing out of the country they've made that job an awful lot harder," said Philip Uglow, chief economist at MNI Indicators. To top of page

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
NATO begins planning for moving the trip wire.

BRUSSELS — NATO’s foreign ministers ordered an end to civilian and military cooperation with Russia on Tuesday and told their generals and admirals to quickly figure out ways to better protect alliance members that feel threatened by Vladimir Putin’s Kremlin.

The 28-member alliance, the keystone of U.S. and European security since the end of World War II, was reacting to its most serious crisis in years: Russia’s unilateral annexation of Ukraine’s Crimean Peninsula, which the U.S. and its allies have condemned as an illegal land grab.

NATO to cancel all co-operation with Russia and beef up border forces | National Post

Allied military planners will now look into deploying or reinforcing land, sea and air forces in eastern Europe, upgrading training and military exercises and updating defense- contingency plans. Foreign ministers today also discussed steps to boost the readiness of the NATO Response Force, made up of 13,000 land, air, sea and special-operations troops available on short notice.

At least eight countries — the U.S., the U.K., Germany, France, Poland, Turkey, Denmark and Portugal — pledged to provide equipment to bolster the alliance’s eastern flank, an official told reporters on condition of anonymity. Allied defense ministers will review the force posture at a meeting in early June.

In the meantime, NATO has stepped up an air-policing mission over the Baltic states and dispatched AWACS surveillance planes over Poland and Romania. The U.S. sent more F-16 fighter jets to Poland and joined Romania and Bulgaria in naval exercises in the Black Sea.

Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk said his government will act to increase the presence of NATO forces “step by step” and that the speed of NATO’s force build-up in Poland “could have been greater.”