WE really need to get rid of this guy

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Actually I believe that Bennett (That would be in the late 30s or early 40s?) Went in front of equivalent of a panel like the ethics committee.... I can’t remember the details offhand but I think it had something to do with his family getting cash that it shouldn’t have and this is during the great depression.... i’m sure somebody with a bit of time can Google and pop that kernel of info up.

Haven't dug up any info on an ethics panel yet but I did find out that he is responsible for the establishment of the cbc as a public broadcaster.

All I could find was the hint of a scandal involving paybacks brought forward in a book written in 2001. A few years after his defeat to King in the 1935 election, Bennett fled to England where he purchased an estate where in due time his pals got him a viscountcy.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I didn’t realize he was forced out of office but I understood that he was not a real ethical character in stating things in the most positive light that I can. I had read that Bennett did go in front of something quite similar to the ethics committee though.
John a McDonald was quite the piece of work and his own right from what I understand and I don’t mean that in a nice way....
I have a good chuckle every time I hear about how the HoC could be much more decorous - remembering the accounts I've read about what used to go on there in John A's time - heck they used to have drunken brawls on the floor. 8O At the least the gallery got entertained. :lol:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
She is trying not to. I am assuming that she did not vote for the Liberal party in the last election or two in her effort to not live in a shit hole as you so put it.
I’m still at work and I just popped out for a quick cigarette before I wind up things for the day. I’m looking very forward to having the time to watch the testimony from both of these two this afternoon when time permits sometime in the next couple days. Until then I’ll be forced to just watch the little clips until perhaps the weekend. Sounds like I missed one hell of a comedy (or is that tragedy) with the showing today. Oh well.

I have had hoid on ignore for months now Ron - I haven't the time to waste on uneducated people who lack the ability to think for themselves and thus support governments that are all to willing to do just that.

Anywhoo, what is this shit hole business about, if you don't mind telling me.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Andrew Scheer:

"We gave Trudeau a massive platform to get his message out to hundreds of thousands of young Canadians - they never gave one to me"

Well, I think the truth is starting to come out,

Last edited:

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
^ but its always nice to get a lecture in ethics from a guy who lied about being an insurance broker in order to get elected.

I guess that's ok

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
^ but its always nice to get a lecture in ethics from a guy who lied about being an insurance broker in order to get elected.

I guess that's ok
You have a whole lot more patience with conservative than I do. I just put them all on ignore cuz they make no sense.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I have had hoid on ignore for months now Ron - I haven't the time to waste on uneducated people who lack the ability to think for themselves and thus support governments that are all to willing to do just that.

Anywhoo, what is this shit hole business about, if you don't mind telling me.
Sorry. Had no idea. This is what I was responding to:
I do believe Thomas will give this piece of work a big fail too because she is not doing well at all.

WE continued to be paid for expenses even as the PM was saying he had 'pushed back' on committing to WE. In other words, they had yet to have approval to administer the program but the government was reimbursing them anyway. I can smell the stench from here.
Maybe you shouldn't live in a shit hole.
Anyhow, I've a bit of a time window before supper and have read one story on this (I started with the Liberal Cheerleaders at the CBC 'cuz they're usually like the PM's Fluffer (this PM anyway http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fluffer), and then thought I'd dig deeper when time permitted (maybe the weekend?).

Here's the CBC take on this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-testimony-finance-committee-we-charity-scheer-1.5668889
and there's only two video clips embedded in that story. First was just a scripted Trudeau Monologue:

This was followed a few inches lower in the story with the following clip (& this is from the CBC even) where PM Trudeau is actually asked direct questions where he gives Non-Answers and then they try to postpone the meeting due to a supposed power failure somewhere but when that doesn't work suddenly Wayne Easter's power comes back on, etc....It's an interesting display of slippery greasiness and deflection while trying to run out the clock with non-answers and diatribe. it's worth a watch at the above CBC LINK:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

I guess that's ok
Actually, this is the quote from Andrew Sheer. He said that he did receive his accreditation under the Canadian credit insurance broker program, but noted that he “left the insurance office before the licensing process was finalized.”

As I said I received my accreditation under the Canadian credit insurance broker program,” Scheer said, “And in this particular office the licensed brokers finalized all the transactions.” Would you like a Link?

Anyhow, Andrew Scheer isn't on the Finance Committee, nor was he involved in this WE mess as a member of the Party that formed the Government in 2019, nor to the best of the information out there has he accepted "Complimentary Vacations" from this WE Entity before awarding them a $900,000,000+ sole source contract, nor has his Family been paid for the use of the Scheer Surname in speaking engagements in the time that Justin Trudeau has been the PM, nor is he being investigated by the Ethics Commissioner not once or twice (with two convictions) but three times so far. Good try though, & Scheer is voluntarily stepping down once the Conservatives select someone to replace him.

With all the filth & stink being exposed around this sole source contract, this is what you see as significant to the current situation?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Actually he misrepresented himself as an insurance broker because he has very little work experience and has never really been anything other than a politician.

He was also revealed as a us citizen during the election, said he had already started the process of renouncing that citizenship but was revealed to have done no such thing and said he didn't do it because he lost.

OK.

It wouldn't be germane except that he was on national television pontificating about how morally deficient the Prime Minister is.

The fact that he is the leader of the conservatives illustrates why we have a liberal government,.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
During the never-ending coverage I only heard one person mention that they were sorry that the whole thing had resulted in students missing out on the opportunities they were supposed to be offered.

That person was Trudeau.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
During the never-ending coverage I only heard one person mention that they were sorry that the whole thing had resulted in students missing out on the opportunities they were supposed to be offered.

That person was Trudeau.
So what's he doing about it? How's he going to get $$$ out to students by your deadline of Friday?

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
So what's he doing about it? How's he going to get $$$ out to students by your deadline of Friday?
He isn't. And it really isn't about money for students - its about money for businesses to hire students.

The summer is almost over so that ship has sailed - but on the plus side a bunch of opposition back benchers with nothing to do can get some face time and make themselves looks like assholes on tv.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017

This guy has proven to be the biggest douche in a group that includes Micheal Cooper.

No small feat

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
That's your reality? The corruption and graft and entitlement and lack of over-site are a nothing, and the ones that called them on it are the villains? That's pretty twisted man. Transfer the 900 million plus to the provinces, and have them spread it out to the students with existing in place programs at the provincial levels with time in lieu owed in future donated volunteer hours to charities of the student's choices be it the local Red Cross or their local animal shelter, etc...& make the best of a bad situation quickly.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Corruption graft and entitlement of trying to get money to students during a pandemic.

Grow up

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
BTW Trudeau is talking $19 billion for the provinces for the safe restart.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
BTW Trudeau is talking $19 billion for the provinces for the safe restart.
Good, & at this point nobody is questioning that over graft & corruption so I'm going to assume that's another deflection & sidetrack on your part. That's not what is at question here. It's irrelevant to this situation.
Corruption graft and entitlement of trying to get money to students during a pandemic.

Grow up
Corruption, graft and entitlement while trying to get money to students during a pandemic. Perhaps without the shenanigans and with some due diligence and this program might have been successful. Utilizing the same systems in place that have distributed Hundreds of Billions of funds during COVID 19 already instead of a shell company entity with no assets or experience distributing Gov't funds starting in May of 2020 would have been successful.

Grow up indeed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1W-wBkY0JM

Breakdown of the testimony by WE Charity founders Marc and Craig Kielberger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0IBWZG2-xs

Jagmeet Singh on WE controversy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sObiC4oObMs

Tom Mulcair about Morneau sleeziness:

Trudeau throwing the public service under the bus a week before his testimony today where both Trudeau & Telford continue throwing the public service under the bus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR2Qf0bmANc

Looking forward to seeing the Public Service Canada response to this.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Why not just write the provinces a cheque for infinity money?

That's what they really want.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Chris Selley: This toxic voluntourism is not how to change the world

I don’t think there would be much academic debate about WE’s basic pitch to young people, however: It’s toxic. It’s voluntourism most foul.

“If you’re itching to explore the globe, learn new skills and make a difference in the lives of others, then you’re in for the trip of a lifetime,” WE’s travel website promises. Helping other people comes third, you’ll notice; elsewhere, it hardly even gets a nod. Instead it promises you’ll get to “explore your passions” and “take your adventure to the next level” and “level up your leadership skills.” It doesn’t actually say “it’ll look good on your resumé,” but it might well be less offensive if it did.
The grant program doesn’t make a lot of sense, regardless of who’s administering it
Quoted trip veterans don’t talk much about changing the world either. “You’d get off the boat and see all the kids lined up at the shore waiting for you, with massive smiles on their faces,” says Kaira, who went to the Amazon. “You can read about poverty or watch documentaries on it,” says Darby, who went to Kenya, “but seeing it firsthand is very different.”

“A ME to WE Trip serves as a meaningful step into adulthood as young people gain an increased sense of independence and responsibility,” parents are assured. “They might even take out the garbage when they get home!”

This grotesque vision essentially conquered Canadian officialdom. Tens of thousands of Canadian children were jammed into arenas on school days to be pumped full of it, and sent home with armloads of corporate-branded swag and travel brochures. At some point schools need to come to grips with how the hell that happened. And the do-gooder community needs to have a similar rethink about how best to improve the world. Bill Morneau has paid WE a total of $93,000 (that we know of) for trips to Ecuador and Kenya. That’s 40 times Kenya’s per-capita GDP. It seems very unlikely Morneau got the maximum world-changing bang for his buck.

nationalpost.com/opinion/chris-selley-this-toxic-voluntourism-is-not-how-to-change-the-world/

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
So, yes the decision to go with WE was hasty and ill-thought out but hey............it was for the kids! And they HAD to get the money out like right now..............to help the kids get paid for volunteering and just a bit of indoctrination throw in for good measure.

I like the answer that since Sophie was cleared by ethics to receive expense payments therefore they were also cleared not to recuse themselves

What a maroon