**** walk..?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Which makes what the cop said all the more wrong really. I would expect a law enforcement officer to know this, right?
You'd think so. Maybe having seen the outcome of sexual assault so many times, the frustration got to him?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Which makes what the cop said all the more wrong really. I would expect a law enforcement officer to know this, right?

The crux of the matter is that law enforcement officers are human, and because of that can make a bone-headed statement or two. In this case, I think it was just a matter of not thinking through what he was going to say(or should have said) rather than being malicious. Are there cops out there that do think like that no matter what? I am sure there are, but I am not certain this particular police officer is one of them. And because of that, I am glad that he did not lose his job over this.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
irrespective of the 'rape' subject, whether it is at all due to 'how' women dress,

WHY would any woman want to look like a sl*t, at any time.

What is the point, is it similar to, why 'air headed' males walk around with their
asses hanging out, perhaps each gender just needs to grow up and develope some brain
cells.

Most men I know would turn and admire a 'well dressed' woman', who has chosen her clothes
well, and looks good wearing them, and the sl*t type will just get laughed at, and belittled
for having 'no' respect for herself.

I have heard the saying a few times in the past, 'well, if she is going to dress like that, she
deserves whatever she gets', and I immediately spoke up and defended anyones right to wear whatever
they want, and don't deserve any such thing, a woman could be lying naked on the street, and does not
deserve to be attacked in any way at all, (just a little help, maybe with a warm coat' or?.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You'd think so. Maybe having seen the outcome of sexual assault so many times, the frustration got to him?

Which speaks a lot to why women would be angry with his comment.... you're underscoring the impression that when sitting there talking to a rape victim, he's judging her, looking for reasons she deserved it.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I have heard the saying a few times in the past, 'well, if she is going to dress like that, she
deserves whatever she gets',

That comment reminds me of something that happened way back in public school. A male classmate snuck behind a female classmate and "pants'd" her in gym class. Thankfully she was wearing underwear under her shorts, otherwise it would have been ever worse for her. I recall many of us guys laughing at what happened, but when I think of it now I find myself ashamed for laughing at it.

I cannot imagine how embarrassing it would have been for her, and she definitely didn't deserve it. I know that both situations are not identical, but I can't help but draw parallels from them.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I was hoping to see more ****s. Lots of people, not enough ****tiness.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Which speaks a lot to why women would be angry with his comment.... you're underscoring the impression that when sitting there talking to a rape victim, he's judging her, looking for reasons she deserved it.
Maybe, but I'm not inside his head.

But I can tell you this. I couldn't be a sex crimes officer. My reactions to perpetrators, would be outside the scope of civility. But with info like this...

Sexual Assault and Rape Statistics, Canada

I'd be grasping at any thing, to try and stop the violence from occurring. If asking women to think about what they project by dressing provocatively is one of those ideas, I can't just immediately call it a bad idea.

so what would you prefer? Burka? Dresses from the chin to the ankles?
No, just some self respect.

That comment reminds me of something that happened way back in public school. A male classmate snuck behind a female classmate and "pants'd" her in gym class. Thankfully she was wearing underwear under her shorts, otherwise it would have been ever worse for her. I recall many of us guys laughing at what happened, but when I think of it now I find myself ashamed for laughing at it.

I cannot imagine how embarrassing it would have been for her, and she definitely didn't deserve it. I know that both situations are not identical, but I can't help but draw parallels from them.
Today, underwear or not, that's sexual assault.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The crux of the matter is that law enforcement officers are human, and because of that can make a bone-headed statement or two. In this case, I think it was just a matter of not thinking through what he was going to say(or should have said) rather than being malicious. Are there cops out there that do think like that no matter what? I am sure there are, but I am not certain this particular police officer is one of them. And because of that, I am glad that he did not lose his job over this.
I don't think he should be fired either. He does need to correct his mistake.

I also think any individual whose job requires the public's trust, needs to hold themselves to a higher standard of conduct. Yes, that makes it tougher because police are human beings and will make mistakes, but I do believe that bar needs to set high.

I guess my biggest concern over this is-If a police officer doesn't know better than this, then what hope is there for the rest of society?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Today, underwear or not, that's sexual assault.

I know he got suspended for a while. He never did anything like that again, at least not during his school years.

He also got punched in the nose by her. She was a big girl(big as in tall, and built for sports. She was in great shape.) and gave him a bloody nose. I think that may have caused him to learn his lesson. Man, she clocked him but good!

I don't think he should be fired either. He does need to correct his mistake.

I also think any individual whose job requires the public's trust, needs to hold themselves to a higher standard of conduct. Yes, that makes it tougher because police are human beings and will make mistakes, but I do believe that bar needs to set high.

I guess my biggest concern over this is-If a police officer doesn't know better than this, then what hope is there for the rest of society?

I think another way to look at it is whether or not he learns from this and becomes a better officer for it.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0803/****s-demotivational-poster-1206466197.jpg

Saying that a woman that dresses ****ty deserves or is asking to be raped is nonsense. However, the real question is, does dress have an affect on the chances of being raped. It's too politically incorrect but I'd love to see a study done on the dressing habits of rape victims. I'm not saying there is a correlation. I don't honestly don't know and would be interested to see if there is.

edited to add - I guess you have to add the s l u and the t in the link above to see the picture. Is that really such a bad word that it has to be hidden?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
No, just some self respect.

So, tell me. What is your definition of self respect? The reason I am pushing on this is because the fundamentalist Muslim feel any woman that is not in a Burka in public has no self respect. Some fundamentalist Christian sects consider any woman not wearing a dress that goes from chin to ankle to wrist as not having any self respect. So what are your dress limitations?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0803/****s-demotivational-poster-1206466197.jpg

Saying that a woman that dresses ****ty deserves or is asking to be raped is nonsense. However, the real question is, does dress have an affect on the chances of being raped. It's too politically incorrect but I'd love to see a study done on the dressing habits of rape victims. I'm not saying there is a correlation. I don't honestly don't know and would be interested to see if there is.

Cannuck, your image did not show up.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So, tell me. What is your definition of self respect? The reason I am pushing on this is because the fundamentalist Muslim feel any woman that is not in a Burka in public has no self respect. Some fundamentalist Christian sects consider any woman not wearing a dress that goes from chin to ankle to wrist as not having any self respect. So what are your dress limitations?
The top of of someones box fuzz, hanging out. The top of the crack of her ass, complete with "tramp stamp". Mess tops, without bra's. More makeup then Tammy Fay. You know, cheap.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Hey, it wouldn't be MY choice either, but, as I am but one woman, I will not speak for my entire gender either.

As for the cop, what he said was a stupid thing to say, stupid in the way that he said it and to the group that he said it too.

If what you're saying is that we all need to consider our own actions and the potential consequences, I wouldn't argue with that.

But there is a difference between saying "It's stupid to walk down that dark street" and saying "You deserve this vicious assault because you walked down that dark street". Since obviously the cops don't get involved until the second scenario, they need to be acutely aware of the distinction.

Just my opinion.

Of course if the cops were doing their jobs properly there would be absolutely no reason to fear walking down a street at any time.