US, Canada should merge into one country

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
I think borders need realigning, but toward more countries, not fewer. I suggest:

Nunavut
Acadia
Canada
The Atlantic Republic
Dixie
The Republic of Texas
Bundesrepublik Mitte
The Wild West
Pacifica

I can't read you so I don't whether you're serious. In any event, I agree that dissolution of the US is the best policy. Let everyone go their own way in peace.

No, this arrangement would reduce, not increase, freedom. That's the whole point.

This arrangement would reduce the power of some of the successor state govts.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I can't read you so I don't whether you're serious. In any event, I agree that dissolution of the US is the best policy. Let everyone go their own way in peace.

This arrangement would reduce the power of some of the successor state govts.
Yep. In the subsequent hassles over who owes what to whom, not to mention the border wars, there's a ton of money to be made.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Frankie Yankovic sums up my opinions quite nicely.

Too Fat Polka (Original) by Frankie Yankovic with Funny Fat People - YouTube

Here's a silly ditty,
You can sing it right away
Now, here is what you say
So sing it while you may

Here's a silly jingle,
You can sing it night or noon
Here's the words, that's all you need
'Cause I just sang the tune:

Oh, I don't want her, you can have her
She's too fat for me
She's too fat for me
She's too fat for me
I don't want her, you can have her,
She's too fat for me
She's too fat
She's too fat
She's too fat for me

I get dizzy
I get numbo
When I'm dancing
With my Jum-Jum-Jumbo

I don't want her, you can have her
She's too fat for me
She's too fat for me
She's too fat for me
She's too fat for me
She's too fat
She's too fat
She's too fat for me

Can she prance up a hill?
No, no, no, no, no
Can she dance a quadrille?
No, no, no, no, no
Does she fit in your coupe?
By herself she's a group
Could she possibly
Sit upon your knee?
No, no, no

We don't want her, you can have her
She's too fat for me
And she's too fat for me
But she's just right for me
She's too fat for me
Yeah, she's too fat,
Much too fat

She's so charming
And she's so winning
But it's alarming
When she goes in swimming

She's too fat for me
She's too fat for me
So I sure want her, you can't have her
She's just right for me
But she's too fat!
She's not too fat!
She's just right for me!

She's a twosome,
She's a foursome
If she'd lose some
I would like her more some

She's too fat for me
She's too fat for me
She's too fat for me
I don't want her you can have her
She's too fat for me
She's too fat
Much too fat
She's too fat for me
Hey!

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Yep. In the subsequent hassles over who owes what to whom, not to mention the border wars, there's a ton of money to be made.

Every polity must have a unifying principle that the people share or the polity will fail. Americans don't share blood, race or consanguinity. What is America's unifying principle in the current era? America was once united by culture and creed. Culture no longer unites Americans because the principle of assimilation no longer obtains to mold us into a people. And now shared creed is dissipating. I guess the loss of shared creed has been ongoing, but for me it became obvious since 2001.

All complex polities collapse in time. It has always been thus. America has become an artificial nation held together by nothing more than custom and usage. Such polities can't sustain sharp or prolonged trauma.

There will be successor polities replacing the US. It's only a question of time. Dissolution of the US will create winners and losers. It's always been this way. There may be border wars; but, that is no more likely than a new civil war.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It would also be a disaster for America because most Canadians are leftists who would vote for Democrats. Canadians are much more collectivist than we are. For all my love for Canada and Canadians I believe a union between the two countries would overwhelm American conservatives and libertarians.

I think Canadians all are a little more right than they think.

Initially you would be right about them voting Democrat, but I think (IMO) Canadians would go more right of center when they actually get to experience what it is to be dominated by US Liberals.

The only thing that would save Canada is the cold winters.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think Canadians all are a little more right than they think.

Initially you would be right about them voting Democrat, but I think (IMO) Canadians would go more right of center when they actually get to experience what it is to be dominated by US Liberals.

The only thing that would save Canada is the cold winters.

You're the second American I've heard make this assertion, and yet, plenty of Canadian Conservatives I know follow American politics, and they think the right is off the deep end, and identify more with Democratic politics. Canadian Liberals I know however, seem to think your whole country is insanely right wing, and the Democrats are not nearly left enough. I think those two demographics would be enough to tip scales, and the hard core, extreme right, are small in number.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You're the second American I've heard make this assertion, and yet, plenty of Canadian Conservatives I know follow American politics, and they think the right is off the deep end, and identify more with Democratic politics. Canadian Liberals I know however, seem to think your whole country is insanely right wing, and the Democrats are not nearly left enough. I think those two demographics would be enough to tip scales, and the hard core, extreme right, are small in number.

Well I live in a locked solid Democrat state and our policies make Canadian policies look very right. Just look at our Massachusetts immigration policies for starters. Our welfare policies.

Heck compare US Immigration policies to Canadian ones.

I give DG a hard time but there is a lot more truth than fun in my posts to him. He is so far right in his views that he would even be considered a bigot here in Massachusetts. I don't think he is a bigot but knowing how it is here I know that he would be called that.

robin williams: canada's like a loft apartment over a meth lab.

badda-bing!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Well I live in a locked solid Democrat state and our policies make Canadian policies look very right. Just look at our Massachusetts immigration policies for starters. Our welfare policies.

Heck compare US Immigration policies to Canadian ones.

I give DG a hard time but there is a lot more truth than fun in my posts to him. He is so far right in his views that he would even be considered a bigot here in Massachusetts. I don't think he is a bigot but knowing how it is here I know that he would be called that.

You cherry pick a few of his views to try to prove he's right wing, but they are only a few. A handful of right leaning opinions does not a right wing person make.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
No, because

1. I wasn't being sarcastic and

2. I don't believe in colour-coding for dullards.

Merely one of many blindnesses that beset you.

Yep, look how great Europe was when it was in a state of constant warfare.

And my arrangement would provide less freedom by grouping like-minded people into countries where they would have substantial majorities, thus enabling them to impose their views on on the minorities and maintain indoctrination.

I enjoy your contributions as well. I will process your friend request latter this evening, everything looks in order.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You cherry pick a few of his views to try to prove he's right wing, but they are only a few. A handful of right leaning opinions does not a right wing person make.

Yes Karrie that's what I do. (forgot to use purple)

But he is way right for my neck of the woods.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Robin Williams: Canada's like a loft apartment over a meth lab.

Robby used to be funny.

Gotta love Frankie Yankovic.

I never have. I've never heard that before until you posted it.

I got it from Maude Barlow...............Council of Canadians. ( a tad left )

Christ knows where she got it from.

PETROS::: Those funny fat people are grossly obese. Laughable but not funny. sad actually. Still, gotta love Frankie. lol.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I got it from Maude Barlow...............Council of Canadians. ( a tad left )

Christ knows where she got it from.

Yeah me too. Never in my life have I heard of Canadian water being considered N. American water by us Yanks.

I get my water from the Quabbin!

And the State got rid of four towns to turn the Swift River Valley into the Quabbin Reservoir.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
OK, yeah maybe it's a bad idea for Canadians who rely on the Canadian government to take care of you, you socialized health care, telling you what you can watch on TV via CRTC, and so on...

But Canada is slowly being incorporated into the USA, with agreements such as NAFTA, a unified security border, FBI agents allowed to cross into Canada and make arrests, voter lists and personal information on all Canadians given to the US Gov't, and our resources being owned by more US companies than Canadian.

In short we have in many ways already been incorporated, Canadians just don't have the benifits of a truly open border like in Europe.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Yes Karrie that's what I do. (forgot to use purple)

But he is way right for my neck of the woods.

How to explain this.

You hear lots of damngrumpy's views, lots of my views, because we chat, intentionally, day in and day out about... our views.

But what you don't get from these forums is necessarily the weight of those views.

the fact that he's expressed views that aren't in line with left leaning people in your area, doesn't mean those are his CORE issues, his deal breakers.

You certainly don't decide your party affiliation based on them fitting all your views, right? There are key views, crucial to you, that decide which way you vote. What makes a person left or right leaning isn't simply whether or not they hold ANY left or right views.