U.S. Website Suggests Moving to Canada:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
By ID I think you mean Idaho. Yeah, Idaho has brutal winters as well which is probably why it is sparcely populated.
CO then. :) WA and OR have about the same as we do in southern BC. East of the Rockies it's a whole other ballgame. Shyte gets nasty over there.

I'm not afraid of it...it simply sucks! We get plenty of snow in Massachusetts, I can't stand it as well as the cold weather here. Unfortunately my roots are too deep to move south.
hehehe So what was your average temp over the winter? And snowfall?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
CO then. :) WA and OR have about the same as we do in southern BC. East of the Rockies it's a whole other ballgame. Shyte gets nasty over there.

Yes indeed. I bet CO in the mountains gets pretty cold. I heard WA and OR are mostly rainy though during the winter.

hehehe So what was your average temp over the winter? And snowfall?

Average snowfall in Boston is 43.3" and out in western MA it is 69". The avg. temps in winter looks to be in the High 30's to Low or mid 20's.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It may get cold in the winter, but, we have the trade off of ridiculously long summer days the more cold you put up with for winter.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It may get cold in the winter, but, we have the trade off of ridiculously long summer days the more cold you put up with for winter.

I would love the longer summer days for sure. I think it is great when it is 9:30PM and still light out.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I would love the longer summer days for sure. I think it is great when it is 9:30PM and still light out.

When I lived in Highlevel we stayed up the one night and watched the dusk roll in around 3AM.... it got slightly dark, and then turned into dawn by 3:30 AM. lol.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
When I lived in Highlevel we stayed up the one night and watched the dusk roll in around 3AM.... it got slightly dark, and then turned into dawn by 3:30 AM. lol.

I LOLed for real on this one.

Do you get that much daylight in summer? That's great.

No more...

"Come home when the street lights come on."

...for me!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I LOLed for real on this one.

Do you get that much daylight in summer? That's great.

No more...

"Come home when the street lights come on."

...for me!

That was in High Level, not far from the NWT border. Here in Edmonton, much further south, it's not nearly as drastic, but, it's still not dark until after 9:30.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This study shows each province or territory in 70 different weather categories, including hottest summer, coldest winter and sunniest year-round, and shows how they rank amongst the rest of the country. These results will not only make for interesting dinner conversations and provide bragging points for provincial and territorial governments, but will also be useful to industry, the tourism and recreation sector and for those seeking weather havens for retirement or comfort.
If moderation is what you are looking for, British Columbia may be the province for you. Boasting the fewest snow days, lightest winds and the warmest springs, this province is neither too hot in summer nor too cold in winter.
Clear skies and sunny days is the theme in central Canada. Manitoba came in first with the clearest skies year round, averaging 2565 hours of clear skies. Saskatchewan is the province with the most sunlight year-round, 2206 hours, while Alberta has the greatest number of sunny days, 312.
Looking for a little heat? Surprisingly, New Brunswick is the province with the hottest summers, averaging temperatures of 23 °C while Prince Edward Island boasts the most humid summers. Of course, Canadian obsession with weather does not come from talks of easy weather but of extreme and harsh weather.

Storm over Pickering College in Newmarket, Ontario. Photo: © COREL Corporation - 1994.

Ontario holds the record for the most thunderstorm days with about 22 per year. Southern Ontario is the known hotspot for lightning too.
A place with little light is Newfoundland and Labrador with the least amount of sunlight per year, 1563 hours. Even on sunlit days it could be difficult to see through snow covered windows in this province, the snowiest region of Canada. Maybe these harsher days allow these residents to appreciate a fine day more than the rest of the country.
It is not so bright either in the foggiest and wettest province, Nova Scotia. But this province is still the warmest overall, with an average temperature of 6.31 °C. Nunavut is the coldest year round, followed by the Northwest Territories and the Yukon Territory. With that said, the Northwest Territories still proved to have the sunniest spring and summers.
Canada is a country of extremes and so are her provinces and territories. To find out more about which province or territory can lay claim to being the windiest, the wettest, having the warmest summer or coldest weather year round, visit the Weather Winners website

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Eagle, what kinda Marine is afraid of a bit of snow? lol

Me, Me. Anywhere north of Orlando Florida is a frozen wasteland, I couldn't believe it but after about 2-3 years living down here my body is sensitive to cold, below 70 is chilly. :smile:

Personally, if I'm going to uproot and leave my family and friends behind, I'll be MORE likely to do it for a change that IS drastic. Why haul your kids across a continent and away from friends and family if not to see some new and different culture? Moving to the US is definitely not on the top of my list of destinations. But then neither is, say, Vancouver.

I was referring to a change of or getting a new job someplace else. If I was to uproot everyone and move someplace. my choice would be New Zealand with Australia as a close second.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
You know what I hate?

New Orleans

Detroit

and Great American Cities like those.
Guess what's in them?
I do not need those things.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Yes indeed. I bet CO in the mountains gets pretty cold. I heard WA and OR are mostly rainy though during the winter.
At the coast they are, not at this end. Like BC.

Average snowfall in Boston is 43.3" and out in western MA it is 69". The avg. temps in winter looks to be in the High 30's to Low or mid 20's.
There ya go. :D It's nicer here.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

It's way nicer here. (BC I mean) Of course where I live we have rain in the winter but it's not un-bearable. There is a time in life when snow is fine but that changes. We moved back to the Okanagan several years ago thinking we were looking forward to the 4 seasons again. Here we pretty much just have spring to cold spring (or fall to warm fall) and summer. We have not seen any rain for about 3 weeks and there is none in any up coming forecasts. Last winter I think we had a skiff of snow for about one or two days. Juan would remember. You get used to this climate. No snow shoveling. Rare for us to have slippery roads. Things like soccer continue at a time of the year when it's long been shut down for the season everywhere else in Canada. Naturally we have years when there are no snowmen to build but that's okay.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
You know what I hate?

New Orleans

Detroit

and Great American Cities like those.
Guess what's in them?
I do not need those things.

Enlighten us.

Where is here?

Boston is not a good example of a warm weather climate.

Im sure enough of them would be, the ice cancels out the amphibious landing :blob:

Says who?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
say you guys want to do an amphibous assult on a port thats locked up with ice. How would you guys go about it?

Smash the ice. Helicopters. Don't go right into the port and land further down on the beach. The Marines train in Norway for cold weather amphib ops every year.

Lemme guess. Starts with an N. Has an I and couple of Gs?

nightlight?

Too funny