Trudeau’s pro-choice decree is democratic, not dictatorial

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
No, you and the others that have their head firmly planted up JT's a$$ are missing the point. It was JT's decision and his decision alone to change the party policy of not whipping votes of conscience. This is FAR from democratic.

You'll get over it, I'm sure.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
.... What nonsense, and what gall. “What they’re saying is, ‘there’s no choice but pro-choice,’” declared Archbishop Richard Smith of Edmonton. “That’s a contradiction in itself.”.....

I'll just cherry pick that part....

It's not a contradiction. Pro-Choice means you "Choose"... which means you can choose to have an abortion, or choose to not have an abortion (For whatever reason, including religious reasons)

Thus those who are Catholic or whatever follower of whatever faith can choose to ignore that choice and not have an abortion.

Pro-Choice does not mean "Every Pregnancy must be Aborted".... that's just stupid.

With the reasoning of "Pro-Choice" you have the option to be "Pro-Life" by Choosing Not to have an abortion.... EVER.

"Pro-Life" is not a choice at all and means everybody must adhere to "Pro-Life" reasoning, thus no abortions for any reason at all.

I see no contradiction at all.

Clergy need to get some ed'ya'Kat'n up in around he'ah

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
This has really been much ado about nothing. The NDP dictates which ridings MUST have female candidates. How democratic is that?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
This has really been much ado about nothing. The NDP dictates which ridings MUST have female candidates. How democratic is that?

For me, I couldn't care less, I don't vote for the NDP. That is where the difference is.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We must remember that Colpy is a paid up member of the Conservative party so we can't take his position on Trudeau too seriously...:smile:

Nonetheless he has him pegged pretty close!

that's wonderful, but I have voted Liberal damn near my whole life.

I understand, Gerry, I foolishly voted N.D.P. for 30 years until it finally sunk in they weren't supporting the "workers". -:)

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

The candidate could always just lie to Trudeau. Once elected they can then vote their conscience. Yes, it may lead to the guy being kicked out of caucus but it'd also humiliate Trudeau which sounds entertaining.

It seems like some people have absolutely no idea how our system works.

I know how it works, I just don't like it Mps used to have a lot more freedom. Now they are all yes men for their leaders. Mps should be representing their constituents in parliament, not representing their leader to their constituents.

Not at all. Trudeau seems to be following their lead by interfering with the nomination process when he said he wouldn't.

This is a completely nonsense phrase.

A conscience vote simply means a vote that is not whipped. You claim they had a policy to not whip votes that are not whipped?

It has never been expected that a party platform is voted on democratically within a party. They often give members the opportunity to vote on certain things, but in the end the platform comes from the top.

You guys are just making up rules so you can complain about it.

They whip a hell of a lot more votes now than they used to. Sure, its allowed but that doesn't make it right.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I know how it works, I just don't like it Mps used to have a lot more freedom. Now they are all yes men for their leaders. Mps should be representing their constituents in parliament, not representing their leader to their constituents.

They whip a hell of a lot more votes now than they used to. Sure, its allowed but that doesn't make it right.

My comment is in response to all the people acting like this is something that Justin just invented. This is how Westminster parliamentary systems work.

I have a bit of an issue with your idea that more free votes would lead to MPs representing their constituents better. The fact is that the majority of people in Canada don't know anything about their local MP. They vote for the national platform laid out by the leader.With that in mind, I think that in most cases MPs are better to vote based on the national platform that got them elected than to vote based on their personal views or whoever is yelling loudest at them that week.

Harper has really taken control to a level that we have not seen before though. While parliamentary discipline on votes has been common for decades, Harper has also taken away much of the power for his cabinet to actually run their portfolio. Cabinet minister today seem to just be mouthpieces for the PMO on their respective issue.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
It's a good thing we started a new thread to explain Justin's Bozo moment in that other thread. This dispenses with the endless barrage of points made as to why Justin faced criticism within his own party and from people who now no longer support him and opens the door to more spin by the op and the kool aid drinkers, thus ignoring the obvious.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'm Kind of glad that The shiny Pony is pulling all those stupid moves....because now only the koolaid drinking morons like we have in this forum are going to vote Liberal....
I'm sure there are quite a few intelligent liberals that will switch, making the NDP the official opposition again, and another win for Harper....Good job Trou d'eau!

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
that's wonderful, but I have voted Liberal damn near my whole life.

If this issue is that serious to you, I suggest you vote Conservative.

It's your best chance at getting some kind of legislative change, if that's what you want.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
It is always amusing when a small group of constituents say their MP, MLA...... Is not listening to them. Most often we find that these people never voted for the representitive in the first place and are not even in the same library, nevermind the same page.

jariax

Electoral Member
Jun 13, 2006
Currently, Canada has no restrictions on abortions whatsoever.
It's likely that one of the following two types of abortion restricting bills could be passed.

A bill to restrict late term abortions:
Granted, it would be hard to find a doctor to perform an abortion at 8 1/2 months, but if a doctor is agreeable to it, it would be legal.

A bill to restrict sex-selective abortions
These happens often in other countries, and they are starting to happen more frequently in Canada.

While you may or may not agree with restricting these types of abortions, to suggest that any politician who would like to vote for either of these restrictions is not worthy of representing the Liberal party is a bit much.

Trudeau (despite being nominally Catholic) fails to realize that Catholics are generally quite progressive (the only religious group in the US to vote more than 50% for gay marriage), but there is a limit to how far they can be pushed. He just handed a big chunk of voters over to the Conservatives to take a stand over something that didn't require one.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If this issue is that serious to you, I suggest you vote Conservative.

It's your best chance at getting some kind of legislative change, if that's what you want.
How is Hairballs decision democratic when it was imposed. Guess I must be missing one hell of a lot?