Trudeau’s pro-choice decree is democratic, not dictatorial

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
ROFLMFAO... really.... JT TELLING his MP's how to vote is democratic? Maybe in the Republic of China, but not in any democracy I know of.

Considering the Catholic Church isn't doing anything that isn't expected of them, then I would say it is actually :
Shiny Pony 0, Catholic Church 1.

If anything, the contrast between the two makes perfect sense and there is nothing undemocratic about choosing a party principle well before an election.

Good news.

I wonder where he'll go.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If anything, the contrast between the two makes perfect sense and there is nothing undemocratic about choosing a party principle well before an election.

Good news.

I wonder where he'll go.

You support hairdo as you are pro choice. What happens when there is another vote on an issue that is based upon ethics, and he runs the party opposite to your view.
All Trudeau did was cause confusion, You are aware that Trudeau will not answer, will he Whip the vote if it came to Parliament? Or are you.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I don't think the author really explains how Trudeau's decision was democratic.

I agree.

I found this one a bit better.

Regarding process, of course we should demand more accountability, transparency and internal democratic practice from political parties and leaders, especially given the centralization of power in the Prime Minister’s Office over the last decades. There is, however, a world of difference between a prime minister gaming the Supreme Court appointment process and a party leader declaring that what was previously considered a “free vote” issue would now be subject to party discipline. The former profoundly erodes the norms and traditions crucial to the functioning of our Westminster system. The latter is a reflection of them.

TheStar

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Telling someone how to vote, in a democracy, is not democratic.

Please remember, if you can, that the Catholic Church is not a democracy and has never said that they operated as a democracy. The Liberal Party of Canada on the other hand............ or are you suggesting that democracy is not a good thing?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
You support hairdo as you are pro choice. What happens when there is another vote on an issue that is based upon ethics, and he runs the party opposite to your view.
All Trudeau did was cause confusion, You are aware that Trudeau will not answer, will he Whip the vote if it came to Parliament? Or are you.

I'm perfectly fine with him whipping the vote on prolifers.

Women's rights are that important.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I could be wrong and have been before .....but it seems to me that at this time last year that Gerryh was defending Justin......seems to me that something made him do an about face.....
It's possible that there are many more rethinking their support for the shiny pony ........now.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I could be wrong and have been before .....but it seems to me that at this time last year that Gerryh was defending Justin......seems to me that something made him do an about face.....
It's possible that there are many more rethinking their support for the shiny pony ........now.

Yup, you have been wrong before, this is not one of those times.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Telling someone how to vote, in a democracy, is not democratic.

Please remember, if you can, that the Catholic Church is not a democracy and has never said that they operated as a democracy. The Liberal Party of Canada on the other hand............ or are you suggesting that democracy is not a good thing?

There's nothing wrong with whipping a vote on something people knew about well before an election.

If people don't like it, they can vote for someone else.

Democracy.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It looks like you are going to be on the losing end of this issue until you die.

I'm sure the vain and self interested will win out for now. At least until the "me generation" has had their go around. As has already been pointed out, the newer generation coming up is of the same mind set as us "old geezers".

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I'm sure the vain and self interested will win out for now. At least until the "me generation" has had their go around. As has already been pointed out, the newer generation coming up is of the same mind set as us "old geezers".

Maybe.

But by then we will probably be able to transport a fetus into someone who wants it.

Biotech can be a miracle worker.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
A leader telling people how to vote is not democratic. Particularly not when the MPs constituents want them to vote a different way regardless of what issue it happens to be.

It seems like some people have absolutely no idea how our system works.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
It seems like some people have absolutely no idea how our system works.

I guess I'll have to post this again.

Regarding process, of course we should demand more accountability, transparency and internal democratic practice from political parties and leaders, especially given the centralization of power in the Prime Minister’s Office over the last decades. There is, however, a world of difference between a prime minister gaming the Supreme Court appointment process and a party leader declaring that what was previously considered a “free vote” issue would now be subject to party discipline. The former profoundly erodes the norms and traditions crucial to the functioning of our Westminster system. The latter is a reflection of them.

Critics of Trudeau's abortion stance are missing the point

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
The first thing I learned in poly sci 1000 is he with the fewest principles wins.

You might not like it, but standing on either side of a principle, especially one so emotional, so divisive, and that so evenly splits the people is counter-productive if you wish to win.

The Conservatives under Harper will never introduce ANY abortion law. Harper has said so over and over.....so while anti-abortion activists are welcome in the party, and as MPs, they will get exactly no where as long as Harper rules.

That isn't true at all. You must not be following politics too closely. If you are trying to gain support, nobody is going to vote for you if they have nothing to vote for. These wedge issues are classic tools to motivate people to get out and vote.

Harper tries to avoid it because he knows that it will hurt him. Canadians don't want to revisit issues like abortion or gay marriage. If the conservatives allow their socially conservative members to put these views center stage, it will scare a decent number of people away and mobilize people against them.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I guess I'll have to post this again.

Critics of Trudeau's abortion stance are missing the point

No, you and the others that have their head firmly planted up JT's a$$ are missing the point. It was JT's decision and his decision alone to change the party policy of not whipping votes of conscience. This is FAR from democratic.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
No, you and the others that have their head firmly planted up JT's a$$ are missing the point. It was JT's decision and his decision alone to change the party policy of not whipping votes of conscience. This is FAR from democratic.

This is a completely nonsense phrase.

A conscience vote simply means a vote that is not whipped. You claim they had a policy to not whip votes that are not whipped?

It has never been expected that a party platform is voted on democratically within a party. They often give members the opportunity to vote on certain things, but in the end the platform comes from the top.

You guys are just making up rules so you can complain about it.