Trudeau, meets with premiers to craft: The Pan Canadian Climate Agreement

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Because America is about to gut itself and this is the only way to prevent it from taking the rest of us down with it.
Whatever you say Miss Cleo. I bet you think I'm a Libra don'tcha darlin'?

Biden Calls Trudeau World’s Only Hope Against Climate Change

Vice President Joe Biden believes the world will need the steady-handed leadership only Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau could provide to defeat global warming.

Is he looking for a job? Can VPs go on EI?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Seniors have too many benefits.

They're old and need to die.

I've been around for 1/3 of Canadian Confederation and everything was already built when I came into being but someone around for 1/2 of Canada's existence doesn't deserve to be held in the highest regards for building what we have today?

Logan, time is up for you.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Take a gander at Rachel Notley ...............if looks could kill :lol:

Trudeau announces 'pan-Canadian framework' on climate — but Sask., Manitoba hold off

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and most of the premiers signed a historic pan-Canadian framework Friday to fight climate change and meet the country's 2030 emissions reduction targets, but a day of tense talks failed to convince two provinces to get onside.

Saskatchewan and Manitoba both said they would not be able to sign the agreement Friday.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall has steadfastly opposed any sort of carbon pricing and didn't waver, saying it would be foolish to impose a levy with the imminent arrival of president-elect Donald Trump to the White House.

Trump has vowed to scrap many of the green-friendly regulations implemented by President Barack Obama, and this week appointed a climate change sceptic to head the country's Environmental Protection Agency, Wall noted. He said it's unlikely Canada will be able to convert Trump into a climate change warrior.

"I'm just saying, let's not be naive as Canadians. This is our number one not just trading partner but competitor for investments in energy ... and we need to be competitive with them. And that's some of the concerns we have," Wall said.

Trudeau quickly shot back at Wall.

"I think all Canadians know that Canadian climate policy will be set by Canadians, not by whomever happens to be the president of the United States."

Pallister holds out for health care deal

Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister was the other holdout. Throughout the day, Pallister pivoted to talk of more health care funding when asked about his willingness to sign the climate deal.

In the end, Pallister said his number one priority is pushing the federal government off its commitment to cut the health escalator from six per cent to three per cent a year, citing his province's dire need for an influx of cash as it struggles with an ageing population and the health needs of a large Indigenous population.

The first ministers discussed health dollars over dinner at Trudeau's residence Friday evening. The Prime Minister's Office told CBC News that the two sides are unlikely to reach a consensus on that file at this point.

British Columbia Premier Christy Clark, who initially balked at the deal, said B.C. would sign on after receiving assurances the plan would ensure the provinces' various carbon-pricing plans were equitable.

"British Columbia's carbon tax will go up when the rest of the country has caught up to us," said Clark. "There was an issue of fundamental fairness that we needed to see resolved in the agreement, from B.C.'s perspective."

Clark said the plan includes a mechanism that will allow B.C. to ensure it is not paying a higher carbon price than other provinces.

Trudeau said Friday the federal government will impose a carbon price on the two non-signatory jurisdictions, despite their objections.

The price starts at a minimum of $10 per tonne of GHG emissions in 2018, rising by $10 each year to $50 per tonne by 2022. All of the money raised will be returned to the respective provinces, who can, in turn, distribute those funds to their citizens in the form of tax cuts.

The final agreement also includes a long list of already announced measures to battle climate change, including new building codes to boost energy efficiency, more charging stations for electric cars, and expanding clean electricity sources and upgrading power grids.

(further into the article)

'We'll probably see them in court'

Before Friday's meeting even began, Wall blasted the federal government's approach, which he said "unilaterally" laid down a carbon price scheme without the benefits of "due diligence" or an impact assessment.

"We're about to undertake the biggest change to how Canadians tax their economy and Canadian families and there has been no economic impact assessment. I'm really worried about the competitiveness of the country," he said. "We will not be signing the framework today, for those and other reasons."

Trudeau announces 'pan-Canadian framework' on climate — but Sask., Manitoba hold off - Politics - CBC News

"All of the money raised will be returned to the respective provinces, who can, in turn, distribute those funds to their citizens in the form of tax cuts."

So, the Feds are going to collect the money the send all of it back to the provinces.....sure they are.........I've got an idea. Why not just have the provinces set aside a special account for carbon taxes and cut out the middleman.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Re: Trudeau, premiers meet in Ottawa today to craft 'Pan Canadian climate agreement'

Not at all.

This is about a mandatory contribution for the very reason that not enough people are making the effort.

There must be a chew toy somewhere around here for you...

People are making the effort as they can afford to as it's dumb not to, but also not for the reasons these eco-extremists want. It simply makes sense to improve the various things in your life (home/auto/appliances etc.) as technology improves and becomes more and more affordable. However, for the elites, (which must include you flossie), who can afford to invest in expensive stuff right away, apparently we're not doing it fast enough.

Over the last 10 years, my husband and I have gradually invested in making our home more efficient as we can afford to; getting a new efficient hot water tank; a new high efficiency furnace, new windows all around but these don't come cheap so we're doing it as we can afford to. The Suzuki's, Trudeau's et al, who are the WORST when it comes to a so-called "carbon foot print" are 1,000 times less efficient than my family's foot print I guarantee you but the average joe are the ones being made to pay a stupidly ridiculous tax that does no good for the so-called climate but does line pockets of these same elitists.

It excruciatingly frustrating that these guys just do not get it. They are so close minded and arrogant and, need I say it again, hypocritical it's mind-blowing. I've come to the conclusion that they know what they're doing and will benefit from it while everyone else loses which is why they're pushing this so hard. The climate in Canada will still be the same 4 seasons; it will snow, it will storm, it will flood as it has for hundreds of years and we'll simply get poorer while the rich who are pushing this stupid tax get richer. After all, they're the ones who will be investing and reaping the rewards while we pay and pay and pay.... laughing all the way to the bank, (likely in Switzerland or the Caribbean).

JMHO

Take a gander at Rachel Notley ...............if looks could kill :lol:

Trudeau announces 'pan-Canadian framework' on climate — but Sask., Manitoba hold off

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and most of the premiers signed a historic pan-Canadian framework Friday to fight climate change and meet the country's 2030 emissions reduction targets, but a day of tense talks failed to convince two provinces to get onside.

Saskatchewan and Manitoba both said they would not be able to sign the agreement Friday.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall has steadfastly opposed any sort of carbon pricing and didn't waver, saying it would be foolish to impose a levy with the imminent arrival of president-elect Donald Trump to the White House.

Trump has vowed to scrap many of the green-friendly regulations implemented by President Barack Obama, and this week appointed a climate change sceptic to head the country's Environmental Protection Agency, Wall noted. He said it's unlikely Canada will be able to convert Trump into a climate change warrior.

"I'm just saying, let's not be naive as Canadians. This is our number one not just trading partner but competitor for investments in energy ... and we need to be competitive with them. And that's some of the concerns we have," Wall said.

Trudeau quickly shot back at Wall.

"I think all Canadians know that Canadian climate policy will be set by Canadians, not by whomever happens to be the president of the United States."

Pallister holds out for health care deal

Manitoba Premier Brian Pallister was the other holdout. Throughout the day, Pallister pivoted to talk of more health care funding when asked about his willingness to sign the climate deal.

In the end, Pallister said his number one priority is pushing the federal government off its commitment to cut the health escalator from six per cent to three per cent a year, citing his province's dire need for an influx of cash as it struggles with an ageing population and the health needs of a large Indigenous population.

The first ministers discussed health dollars over dinner at Trudeau's residence Friday evening. The Prime Minister's Office told CBC News that the two sides are unlikely to reach a consensus on that file at this point.

British Columbia Premier Christy Clark, who initially balked at the deal, said B.C. would sign on after receiving assurances the plan would ensure the provinces' various carbon-pricing plans were equitable.

"British Columbia's carbon tax will go up when the rest of the country has caught up to us," said Clark. "There was an issue of fundamental fairness that we needed to see resolved in the agreement, from B.C.'s perspective."

Clark said the plan includes a mechanism that will allow B.C. to ensure it is not paying a higher carbon price than other provinces.

Trudeau said Friday the federal government will impose a carbon price on the two non-signatory jurisdictions, despite their objections.

The price starts at a minimum of $10 per tonne of GHG emissions in 2018, rising by $10 each year to $50 per tonne by 2022. All of the money raised will be returned to the respective provinces, who can, in turn, distribute those funds to their citizens in the form of tax cuts.

The final agreement also includes a long list of already announced measures to battle climate change, including new building codes to boost energy efficiency, more charging stations for electric cars, and expanding clean electricity sources and upgrading power grids.

(further into the article)

'We'll probably see them in court'

Before Friday's meeting even began, Wall blasted the federal government's approach, which he said "unilaterally" laid down a carbon price scheme without the benefits of "due diligence" or an impact assessment.

"We're about to undertake the biggest change to how Canadians tax their economy and Canadian families and there has been no economic impact assessment. I'm really worried about the competitiveness of the country," he said. "We will not be signing the framework today, for those and other reasons."

Trudeau announces 'pan-Canadian framework' on climate — but Sask., Manitoba hold off - Politics - CBC News

"All of the money raised will be returned to the respective provinces, who can, in turn, distribute those funds to their citizens in the form of tax cuts."

So, the Feds are going to collect the money the send all of it back to the provinces.....sure they are.........I've got an idea. Why not just have the provinces set aside a special account for carbon taxes and cut out the middleman.

Boy could we use a few more Brad Walls. What he says makes so much sense - do your due diligence first. But then in all likelihood, when it proves that it won't work, they'll do it anyway .... sigh ... frustratingly frustrating!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I wonder why the two coldest provinces didn't sign? Global warming?

Boy could we use a few more Brad Walls. What he says makes so much sense - do your due diligence first. But then in all likelihood, when it proves that it won't work, they'll do it anyway .... sigh ... frustratingly frustrating!!
He is right. He isn't a denier, he is practical and can run a Province by prioritizing without gouging and emotional subterfuge.

Besides, how do you convince people in a province there is global warming when other planets further from the sun are warmer in our winters?

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Mr. Chairman, I am honoured to address the members of the committee - the climate committee - a committee that will address the climate. Before I begin, I will very briefly outline my dealings with climate. I have been a climate person since my childhood. I have lived with it, enjoyed it, sometimes cursed it, but always accepted it as part of our environment. A major part of the environment, like countries and the air, I guess.

I hope that we can all come together and accept the climate for what it is. An indispensable part of the eco-biosphere that we often refer to as "Mother Nature", but she is so much more than that! She is also a father, a neighbour and a friend. Someone that may not always be fun to be around, but part of the family, and someone who is an integral part of all our lives. So much so, that people the world over would be hard pressed if the climate was to leave and we would only have the environment, the galaxy and possibly, hostile aliens.

I am touched by the beauty of the climate, its warmth and staying power.

In conclusion, Mr. Chairman, you can count on my vote to keep it around. An important and vibrant part of the Canadian way of life.

Thank you.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Hey, why not? Only Commie fuctard libtard dem-dum socispists from Ontario and Quebec think that there's something wrong with lead in our children's blood.

Commies.

I don't work in Oakvile and I most certainly am employed. Oakville is one if the richest places on this continent,btw.
Yea all those monster plants are operating at full capacity .

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Trudeau claims victory on national climate ‘framework’

OTTAWA – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is claiming victory in his campaign to craft a national “framework” agreement on climate change – even though Saskatchewan and Manitoba remains provincial holdouts.

Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall’s full-throated opposition to the plan, which includes imposing a price on carbon, was fully expected going into today’s day-long first ministers meeting.

Trudeau had unilaterally imposed an escalating floor price on carbon dioxide emissions, starting at $10 in 2018 and topping out at $50 in 2022, when the policy would be reassessed.

Under the compromise deal, the carbon price would pause at B.C.’s existing $30 level in 2020, when an independent expert panel will look at how the plan is evolving.

It was a sudden and surprising about-face from Clark, who less than an hour earlier had was telling reporters that the talks were grinding along slowly, that the matter was hard slogging and that an agreement appeared a long way off.

Trudeau had already set the table when he opened the morning session with premiers, indigenous leaders and U.S. Vice-President Joe Biden by asserting, “We should not waver” in the fight against climate change.

Biden, just weeks away from the end of the Obama administration and the ascendency of Donald Trump’s Republicans, gave a rallying speech of sorts before departing the meeting.

“We’re always stronger when we’re working together,” said Biden.

Paul Boothe, an economics professor at the Ivey Business School and member of the non-partisan Canada’s Ecofiscal Commission, said there’s no reason provinces must have identical tax rates, pointing to differing provincial sales and income taxes across Canada.

“I think this fairness discussion is a bit of a red herring,” Boothe, a former deputy finance minister in Saskatchewan, said in a telephone interview.

“What we’re trying to do is meet our (emissions) target at the lowest possible cost, not the highest cost.”

Ideally, B.C. and Alberta companies should be free to buy carbon credits from other jurisdictions instead of paying the carbon tax, which would ensure emissions reductions are achieved at the lowest price available.

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne, asked about equivalency, noted other moves already made by her province that have driven down emissions and driven up electricity prices.

“This is about reducing greenhouse gas emissions,” Wynne said before entering the meeting, adding that price is simply a “mechanism.”

“British Columbians are not paying for reductions in Ontario.”

The backdrop to the long-planned first ministers conference is the looming change of government in the United States.

Biden told the assembled premiers they should take a long view of climate policy, because short-term political changes will be overtaken by reality.

“Whatever uncertainty exists around the near-term policy choices of the next president, I am absolutely confident the United States will continue making progress in its path to a low-carbon future.”

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/trudeau-victory-national-climate-framework/

Canada > America

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This agreement couldn't come too soon!

The weather outside is frightful thanks to climate change and the polar vortex
https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.3885241?client=safari

SOLAR WIND CONTINUES TO BLOW: For the third day in a row, a fast-moving stream of solar wind is blowing around Earth. Wind speeds in excess of 600 km/s are disturbing our planet's polar magnetic field and causing auroras to dance around the Arctic Circle.

NOAA forecasters estimate a 20% chance of G1-class geomagnetic storms on Dec. 10th. Arctic auroras do not require full-fledged geomagnetic storming and will almost certainly reappear tonight as the solar wind continues to blow.

http://www.spaceweather.com

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
So you lost your job before and are living in a bedroom , cool .

First of all, I'm sixty, so if I really did lose my job, I would call it retirement.

You haven't the foggiest clue what it's like around here, do you? "Here be Dragons" everywhere east of the Lower Mainland?

Can you spell "parochial"?