Trudeau makes another brilliant statement.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
Your right Retired.
But how do you tell them not to come here, they are so obstenant they will come anyways. They know a good thing when they see it, after all, compared to their SH country it's obvious.
Btw, it goes on behind closed doors all the time, it's hard to believe.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Your right Retired.
But how do you tell them not to come here, they are so obstenant they will come anyways. They know a good thing when they see it, after all, compared to their SH country it's obvious.
Btw, it goes on behind closed doors all the time, it's hard to believe.

This is where we part ways Durry. I'm not trying to stop people from immigrating, I am saying that people who aspire to be Canadian need to understand how we view such things. That way when they knock off a daughter or kill a disobedient wife they can't claim that we w didn't define what we considered unacceptable when we lock their a$$ up.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Give me a break Unf. Half the reason we have people importing this kind of crap into our Country is because we spend far too much time tripping all over ourselves afraid to offend. A few weeks ago you exercised the good sense to point out that political correctness had run amok and caused the censorship of Money for Nothing.

This kind of stupidity breeds division. Cutting up a girl, honour killing, and treating women as cattle is barbaric. Even Justin now admits that he painted himself into a corner. In my opinion if people want to live in a culture like that they should bloody well stay put because we don't treat people like that here as a rule. That is not a left or right issue. Its a Canada issue. If you dont like a gays, if you want to mutilate girls, don't come.

When you start with an insult you lose the opportunity to teach. In the immigration guide, we should always take great care in wording. That is important.

Why do you feel that offending someone is the way to make change? If I started this out with "look you fu cking retard, you have it wrong again" does it leave much room for dialog?

There is no question that honour killing, has no place in Canada. Just like raping children has no place in Canada.
But we don't start out addressing the problem by calling Catholics barbarians. That doesn't mean we accept that some Catholics are going to get touchy with the kiddies, it means that we need to open dialog and show to everyone that it's absolutely unacceptable every time and why.

Just like Honour killings, female circumcision and treating women like cattle. But you can't do that from a negative position lest you simply drive it under ground.

At no point should our government, no matter what party makes up our government, be offensive.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
When you start with an insult you lose the opportunity to teach. In the immigration guide, we should always take great care in wording. That is important.

Since the guide is intended for immigrants, their view on wording should be considered. The word barbarian may not have the same connotation in other parts of the world as it does here. We wouldn't use the words "crusade against this behavior. I know politeness is not a strong trait among many here but that shouldn't stop our government with exercising some consideration.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
You're right. I suppose that the correct wording would be, 'You should be aware that some Canadians are uncomfortable with the concept of honour killings'

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Why do you feel that offending someone is the way to make change? If I started this out with "look you fu cking retard, you have it wrong again" does it leave much room for dialog?

There is no question that honour killing, has no place in Canada. Just like raping children has no place in Canada.
But we don't start out addressing the problem by calling Catholics barbarians. That doesn't mean we accept that some Catholics are going to get touchy with the kiddies, it means that we need to open dialog and show to everyone that it's absolutely unacceptable every time and why.

Just like Honour killings, female circumcision and treating women like cattle. But you can't do that from a negative position lest you simply drive it under ground.

At no point should our government, no matter what party makes up our government, be offensive.

Raping children is barbaric. Those who would think that raping a child is acceptable deserve to be offended and dare I say called barbaric. The pamphlet doesn't say HEY YOU F UCKING R ETARD MUSLIMS HONOUR KILLINGS ARE BARBARIC. It says that the act of killing or mutilation is considered barabaric in Canadian society these practices are barbaric or something like that.

Come on Unf, your retort was kind of a stretch. :lol:.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I honestly don't see anything wrong with this statement:
"Canada’s openness and generosity do not extend to barbaric cultural practices that tolerate spousal abuse, ‘honour killings,’ female genital mutilation, forced marriage or other gender-based violence. Those guilty of these crimes are severely punished under Canada’s criminal laws.”

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Raping children is barbaric. Those who would think that raping a child is acceptable deserve to be offended and dare I say called barbaric. .

Perhaps Canada can adopt a policy that doesn't "offend" the sensibilities in a manner that doesn't actually spell it out in a policy statement... Maybe the message can be conveyed by stipulating that rapists and child molesters will be incarcerated and placed in gen pop.

That'll get the message across double-quick

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
"Canada’s openness and generosity do not extend to barbaric cultural practices that tolerate spousal abuse, ‘honour killings,’ female genital mutilation, forced marriage or other gender-based violence. Those guilty of these crimes are severely punished under Canada’s criminal laws.”

There is nothing offensive or provocative about it TP. Look sometimes the opposition (no matter the party) is so bent on opposing it forgets to look at what it is they are opposing

Perhaps Canada can adopt a policy that doesn't "offend" the sensibilities in a manner that doesn't actually spell it out in a policy statement... Maybe the message can be conveyed by stipulating that rapists and child molesters will be incarcerated and placed in gen pop.

That'll get the message across double-quick

Sadly general population is now rife with kid touchers, except the high profile ones that will buy you cred for shivving.

Durry

House Member
May 18, 2010
Canada
My my, so many Posts about a dumb fk who does not like the word Barbaric !!

Hey, it's my country and I'm the government, I'm righting the book, and it meets all legal issues, And so those who have a problem with it, suck it up, get over it and get on with life !!! Shheeeeee !!!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
No female genital mutilation allowed. Male mutilation only. Barbarians should stay home.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I agree. My point was that the term barbarian or barbaric has different connotations throughout the world. In some older societies, it can be taken to mean non-Christian. That is why the term "completely unacceptable" would have been a better choice. Unfortunately too many people get their panties all twisted when an emotional issue like this comes up....and invariably start shooting from the hip instead of taking the time to fully understand the situation. No need to apologize.
Much the same way that Japanese look upon person that are not Japanese, Gaijin.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
You're right. I suppose that the correct wording would be, 'You should be aware that some Canadians are uncomfortable with the concept of honour killings'

No, that is nowhere near harsh enough. As has already been stated, "completely unacceptable" or "totally unacceptable" would work fine. But at least you have acknowledged that I am right. That is a good first step.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
'The objection to the term 'barbarian' is that it can be taken, in some older societies, as non-Christian.'

Guess what? Canada isn't one of those societies where 'barbarian' means non-Christian. As such, it should not be our concern that in some foreign country, people would have a different understanding of our writing. In other societies, people drive on the left. That doesn't mean we should allow that here, just so they don't misinterpret something. At some point, people who want to immigrate have to make some effort to understand OUR culture.

No, that is nowhere near harsh enough. As has already been stated, "completely unacceptable" or "totally unacceptable" would work fine. But at least you have acknowledged that I am right. That is a good first step.

No, that won't fly, because saying that it is unacceptable would mean that you don't approve, and that would be taken as an insult in some cultures. You can't insult potential immigrants like that.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Would you have a problem with the statement "Canada’s openness and generosity do not extend to Christian cultural practices that tolerate spousal abuse......”?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Would you have a problem with the statement "Canada’s openness and generosity do not extend to Christian cultural practices that tolerate spousal abuse......”?

That would be nice, except that no Christian cultural practices DO tolerate spousal abuse.......

Relativism is brain-dead.

15,000 women die in honour killings every year.

Overwhelmingly they are Muslim.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Welcome to Canada

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Guess what? Canada isn't one of those societies where 'barbarian' means non-Christian. As such, it should not be our concern that in some foreign country, people would have a different understanding of our writing.

Then that is where we disagree. To communicate correctly and effectively, the proper message must be sent so the receiver understands completely. That is accomplished doing it my way and may not work doing it your way ergo, my way (Trudeau's way) is better.