Trudeau and Wynne personally greet Syrians into Canada

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
They'll need books? In in English or French?

I bet they'd rather have cable and bandwidth.

They get cash for everything they need. They don't want your used crap.

OK, good stuff.We'll mend our used crap (as usual) and carry on through the winter. Me old, second hand, duffel coat is
good for a few more times round the block.

Hope all the politicos are still as smiley and nicey when the honeymoon's over.
Merry Festivus.:thefinger:

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan
"A conservative will do the right thing even if it makes him feel bad; a liberal will do the wrong thing if it makes him feel good."
~ Bill Whittle

(Not that Trudeau is doing the wrong thing here)

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
meh Political grandstanding. Politicians are like that. "Hey, look at me! See? I am da good guy!"

The one time that really sticks out to me is when Martin went to SE Asia to tour after a tsunami or something. Standing amidst a helluva mess, he looked like he was going to hurl his $400 lunch he was so green and you could easily read his expression saying, "Fµck! I will NEVER do anything like THIS again, ever. Even if I am PM for a decade of decades".

"A conservative will do the right thing even if it makes him feel bad; a liberal will do the wrong thing if it makes him feel good."
~ Bill Whittle

(Not that Trudeau is doing the wrong thing here)
hahaha Good quote.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Trudeau's Greeting Of Syrian Refugees Makes International Headlines

WASHINGTON — A flood of international news coverage of Canada's prime minister happily greeting Syrian refugees prompted commentators in the U.S. to draw comparisons Friday with the angry anti-refugee politics in their own country.

The story of Justin Trudeau greeting refugees at the airport was covered in numerous countries and was the top story around midday on the New York Times website, along with a video and similar items on Newsweek, the BBC, NBC, Paris Match, and the UK Guardian, Independent and Daily Mail.

A Washington Post piece suggested public attitudes in Canada and the U.S. aren't actually all that different on refugees. It cited polls that show a majority in both countries support resettling Syrians.

"Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Just Gave U.S. Politicians a Refreshing Lesson in Compassion," was the headline on the GQ website, which set the tone for some such commentary.

"U.S. politics right now feel like a clown show of ventriloquized garbage bags yelling dangerous nonsense about Muslims and the Second Amendment," the piece began.

"But just north of the border... Trudeau is showing just how far leadership traits like compassion and open-mindedness can go toward endearing yourself to your countrymen. Who would have thought?"

Contrast that with the conversation in the U.S. on Friday.

There were questions at the daily White House press briefing about Donald Trump's proposed Muslim-visitors ban. A presidential spokesman also fielded media questions about an apparent plan to organize a Qu'ran-burning protest Saturday in front of the White House.

A spokesman for Obama retorted by pointing to a poll that suggests Trump's plan is opposed by a clear majority of Americans: "What we are seeing here is a pretty cynical attempt on the part of one Republican politician to capitalize on people's fears and anxieties," Josh Earnest said. "And that's offensive."

Some left-wing commentators in the U.S. joked that they wished Trudeau might move south and enter politics in their country.

Few headlines were nearly as enthusiastic as the left-wing U.S. blog Daily KOS: "Prime Minister's reaction to refugees arriving in Canada will be a highlight in world history." It suggested this welcoming approach was likelier to win the hearts and minds of the Muslim public.

There was a thank-you message on Twitter from actor Mia Farrow. A prominent activist with Black Lives Matter, Shaun King, tweeted: "Absolutely love the warmth, love, and compassion I see being shown toward weary Syrian refugees in Canada. #WelcomeToCanada is so powerful!"

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Where were the scary bomber guys?

There was a family of Armenian Christians interviewed last night. Maybe they were the only ones on that flight (or maybe not) but a fair contingent if the refugees escaping ISIS from whom they will receive certain death are in fact Christians from churches so old, St. Paul mentioned them in his letters. I know that a local group in my immediate neighbourhood are sponsoring a Syrian Christian family, as well.

By the way, the Armenian Christians have been persecuted by just about everybody in the Middle East (except notably by Jews), over and over during the last two millennia. This may be their first chance to get away from that hell hole.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
It was pointed out tonight on Power Play that the refugees who arrived last night were privately sponsored, NOT government sponsored. So what was Trudeau and Wynne welcoming them for? Obviously for the photo op!
Too bad the photo here cut out Wynne's beautifully coiffed hairdo and just showed her big teeth! She always looks more appealing from the back view.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It was pointed out tonight on Power Play that the refugees who arrived last night were privately sponsored, NOT government sponsored. So what was Trudeau and Wynne welcoming them for? Obviously for the photo op!
Too bad the photo here cut out Wynne's beautifully coiffed hairdo and just showed her big teeth! She always looks more appealing from the back view.

Actually there were 2 batches. The first batch that arrived earlier were private sponsored. The ones that arrived in the wee hours of the morning were the first of the government ones. Still a photo op.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
OK, good stuff.We'll mend our used crap (as usual) and carry on through the winter. Me old, second hand, duffel coat is
good for a few more times round the block.

Hope all the politicos are still as smiley and nicey when the honeymoon's over.
Merry Festivus.:thefinger:

Look get with the programe crusty. This is our XChriistmas present.
Feel the love of the season hug a belt bomber.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
And all the ones that used to denigrate Harper's photo ops with our soldiers and the expenses incurred in doing that are awful quiet ...huh?

But a shiny pony fluffer thread....that's OK

I had to swallow twice to keep the supper down, but, no, Trudeau and Winny are just as sick making as Harpo was.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
And all the ones that used to denigrate Harper's photo ops with our soldiers and the expenses incurred in doing that are awful quiet ...huh?

But a shiny pony fluffer thread....that's OK

That's because more Canadians relate to immigration than the military.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Actually, I had some time to think about this and you know what? I thought to myself, you come from a war torn Country and there is the Prime Minister to welcome you. Can there not be any better endorsement of what a great country we live in.

I watched CTV News tonight and felt rather happy for the people getting off those planes. To see the innocent children who will not live in some camp over Christmas, to be given a chance to grow up is not a bad thing.

I am very happy to live in this country and proud that we are trying to help people who are less fortunate.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Actually, I had some time to think about this and you know what? I thought to myself, you come from a war torn Country and there is the Prime Minister to welcome you. Can there not be any better endorsement of what a great country we live in.

I watched CTV News tonight and felt rather happy for the people getting off those planes. To see the innocent children who will not live in some camp over Christmas, to be given a chance to grow up is not a bad thing.

I am very happy to live in this country and proud that we are trying to help people who are less fortunate.
I have less of an issue with Trudeau being there. Hell, it was in Ottawa and he's already there anyway. And he is currently, like it or not, the face of Canada.
The Wynned sock OTOH might be recognized by a dozen people outside of Canada. I'm very cynical of her appearance there when no other Premier was. Based on her "performance" before and after becoming Premier of Ontario, I'm fairly convinced she doesn't do anything that doesn't benefit her in some way directly or indirectly. She's as phony as a 3 dollar bill.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The Wynned sock OTOH might be recognized by a dozen people outside of Canada. I'm very cynical of her appearance there when no other Premier was. Based on her "performance" before and after becoming Premier of Ontario, I'm fairly convinced she doesn't do anything that doesn't benefit her in some way directly or indirectly. She's as phony as a 3 dollar bill.

Oh I agree, she is a corrupt lying politician, but then, Ontarian's for whatever dumb reason, gave her another majority, but in regard to the incoming immigrants, fear not.

They probably thought she was this guy.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I wonder how the refugees that show up after the SJW's, and politicians have found a new cause celeb, will feel getting off a plane to be greeted by mere govt employees.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I have less of an issue with Trudeau being there. Hell, it was in Ottawa and he's already there anyway. And he is currently, like it or not, the face of Canada.
The OP said Toronto.....
Syrian refugees greeted by PM as they arrive on government aircraft in Toronto