Traditional British lemonade drink sparks row in U.S. over trace alcohol content

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Well if you are caught drinking or intoxicated under the age of 21 you CAN get charged with underage drinking.

Say a 19 year old boards a Canadian flight in Toronto after legally having a beer or two in the lounge, then consumes a couple more enroute to, say, Boston, will they have committed an offense upon arrival? I don't know the answer to that question. What I do know is that the laws of the country where the carrier is registered apply while on board. 19 year old flight attendants serve alcohol, legally, on that same route, as well as many others.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
1. This whole thread is about how 0.5% is nitpicking and absurd; however, you seem to be in favour of nitpicking. So no, I will not let that go. What percentage is the cutoff at? One part in a thousand? One part in a million? One part in a billion? Just how absurd are you? I am not the one nitpicking, since I say anyone should be able to drink whatever.

If it says the drink has alcohol in it it should not be sold to minors. Case closed.

2. Which proves how arbitrary it is.

That kids will do in Rome as the Romans.

3. Old enough. Also, you are a bigot. I would use more colourful language, but at the very least this insult is completely justified: you are a bigot.

Asking your age is an insult? I was asking because of your passion in the debate made me guess your were younger than 21.

Asking a person his/her age makes them a bigot? LMAO. Keep trying.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
A modern American wouldn't know a Puritan if it hung him from a tree and called him a witch.

At one time it was all Puritan but those folks are gone.

Puritanism, some say is a foundation for American democracy but I wouldn't say it was the driving force behind the American Revolution.

The Irish are NOT Puritans. The Irish actually were looked down upon by Yankee Blue Bloods... decendants of the Puritans and WASPS.

McCarthy's investigations on Un-American Activities was nothing like the Salem Witch Hunts.

Temperance is Christian but not exclusively Puritan. In fact...Colonial New England had all kinds of taverns around. IN FACT...after the Witch Trials the judge and jury and congregation would go back to the tavern and listen to more accusations.

No the Irish were Catholics, Puritans were radical Anabaptist Protestants. The Catholic Church has never had a problem with responsible and moderate use of alcohol. That was my point.

But the Puritan ethic is deeply entrenched in the American social ethic. You just don't recognize it. The core of American Individualistic idealism is founded in Puritanism, its distrust of government and its maxim that absolute power corrupts absolutely, all esconsed in the U.S. Constitution was a completely unique manifestation of Enlightenment thought. It could not have emanated from the Deist tradition of Franklin and Jefferson and their co-thinkers alone.

And McCarthyism was EXACTLY like the Salem Witchhunt. A phenomenon in its virulence completely limited to the U.S.. And there are still a lot of Puritans around.. you might call them Baptists or Pentacostals.. but they are still there.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
No the Irish were Catholics, Puritans were radical Anabaptist Protestants. The Catholic Church has never had a problem with responsible and moderate use of alcohol. That was my point.
SOME Irish are Catholic. Some are Protestant.

But the Puritan ethic is deeply entrenched in the American social ethic. You just don't recognize it. The core of American Individualistic idealism is founded in Puritanism, its distrust of government and its maxim that absolute power corrupts absolutely, all esconsed in the U.S. Constitution was a completely unique manifestation of Enlightenment thought. It could not have emanated from the Deist tradition of Franklin and Jefferson and their co-thinkers alone.

And McCarthyism was EXACTLY like the Salem Witchhunt. A phenomenon in its virulence completely limited to the U.S.. And there are still a lot of Puritans around.. you might call them Baptists or Pentacostals.. but they are still there.
Here's a brief description of Puritans, for those who don't know much about them:

Puritan, religious and social movement

At any rate, they have their own views of the teachings in the Bible and are a bit extremist.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
The Irish who emigrated to New England were all driven there by the Irish Potato famine, and British policies that kept them in deep poverty, and they were almost all Catholics from Eire.

Well you are right in recognizing the Social Agenda of Puritanism can be found in John Calvin's doctrine. At its core are concepts of predestination, and material grace.. which was used, in some cases cynically, to rationalize libertarian capitalism.

It stated all forms of want and inequality were divinely instituted and therefor charity was an affront to Divine Will. It took Luther's maxim of Salvation through Faith alone to extreme levels of condemning all humanitarian agency.

It forms the foundation of Global Free Market Capitalism, that has grown to completely dominate our politics in the last 40 years. And that is falling apart.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
The Irish who emigrated to New England were all driven there by the Irish Potato famine, and British policies that kept them in deep poverty, and they were almost all Catholics from Eire.
I'd say most people in New England aren't Irish. I'd say they were American. And I doubt many are that devout. But you are right that most Irish are Catholic, not that Irish are Catholic.

Well you are right in recognizing the Social Agenda of Puritanism can be found in John Calvin's doctrine. At its core are concepts of predestination, and material grace.. which was used, in some cases cynically, to rationalize libertarian capitalism.

It stated all forms of want and inequality were divinely instituted and therefor charity was an affront to Divine Will. It took Luther's maxim of Salvation through Faith alone to extreme levels of condemning all humanitarian agency.

It forms the foundation of Global Free Market Capitalism, that has grown to completely dominate our politics in the last 40 years. And that is falling apart.
Like everything else on Earth, if things don't evolve, they stagnate and die. Capitalism, communism, religion, etc. all die if they don't evolve.
It'd be really neat to be able to figure out what the next surge of evolution would be, but I guess we have to be patient and wait to see what evolves.

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

And when they came over, many shops had signs that said, "No dogs or Irish allowed".

They were not looked upon as being equal to the existing population.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Say a 19 year old boards a Canadian flight in Toronto after legally having a beer or two in the lounge, then consumes a couple more enroute to, say, Boston, will they have committed an offense upon arrival? I don't know the answer to that question. What I do know is that the laws of the country where the carrier is registered apply while on board. 19 year old flight attendants serve alcohol, legally, on that same route, as well as many others.

IF a 19 year old Canadian lands in Boston and is intoxicated and causing a problem he could be charged with public intoxication and drinking under age. IF his 21 year old buddy is with him causing a problem he would be charged with public intoxication.

Many times under age drinkers (18 or over), when arrested, are just put in the tank (cell) to sleep it off unless they went ballistic or got caught driving. Younger kids still living at home (let's say 16 or 17) are taken home to their parents...UNLESS they went ballistic while intoxicated.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

No way. The term witch hunt is thrown around too often when anyone gets accused of something...even if they are guilty of what they are being accused of.

The witch hunt was nasty...very nasty and people were not only ruined by property seizures but they were executed for being witches.

I am actually reading "The Devil in Massachusetts" which is about the Salem Witch Hunts and it was nasty and brutal. I do not see much Puritanism left here in Massachusetts. Massachusetts is far from Puritanism. Christianity as a whole is deep in America but not Puritanism and Puritanism peculiarities. But here in Massachusetts we are the first to rip down anything with any religious symbols or connotation. It only takes one person to say...

"Hmmmm... I am offended... you all must not offend me."

And the powers that be in Massachusetts say...

"Please forgive our ignorance...we all will bow down and do as you wish so as not to offend thee."

Puritism? Nay...

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
And when they came over, many shops had signs that said, "No dogs or Irish allowed".

They were not looked upon as being equal to the existing population.

No, they weren't welcome. They were a cheap source of labor that took jobs from real Americans, and were Catholic also? Hmmm sounds oddly familiar.