Tourism lull led to ‘execution-style killings’ of 100 B.C. sled dogs: Reports

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
there should have been a plan set up when the dogs were purchased, as to their destination after
the event, obviously 'money' was the only issue thought about, both by the seller of the dogs in
the first place, and the buyer as well, and when all the dust settled, "oh yeah, what are we going
to do with these 'fu***n dogs, they are a nuisance now.

wonder who and where they purchased that many sled dogs, and what was the conversation at that time.

this makes my skin crawl, and I wonder what the people who sold the dogs are thinking right now, they
have their pockets bulging with the money received for the sale, then what, turned a blind eye to
the eventual outcome of those dogs. It is shameful, on both ends.

Your wisdom knows no bounds, Talloola - as I've noticed all my life it's often idiots who demand and gain control of things, when they really don't have the brains to pound sand in a rathole.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
What many people don't realize though is that not everyone who raises dogs raises them as pets. For some, they are raised as working animals, and in some areas of the world, food. Someone who raises cattle doesn't worry about the final destination of the calves they ship off to auction. They know they're likely to not meet a nice end. As a grower you just try to put that out of your mind and do what you can to treat them well while you have them. Otherwise it becomes very difficult to make money. Whoever sold these dogs to a large scale operation to be used as a work animal, didn't think they were going to be coddled pets. They couldn't have. If they did, they were naive. The best you can hope for is that the people will at least abide by the law, which they unfortunately didn't in this case. I don't think the seller is at all to blame here.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
What many people don't realize though is that not everyone who raises dogs raises them as pets. For some, they are raised as working animals, and in some areas of the world, food. Someone who raises cattle doesn't worry about the final destination of the calves they ship off to auction. They know they're likely to not meet a nice end. As a grower you just try to put that out of your mind and do what you can to treat them well while you have them. Otherwise it becomes very difficult to make money. Whoever sold these dogs to a large scale operation to be used as a work animal, didn't think they were going to be coddled pets. They couldn't have. If they did, they were naive. The best you can hope for is that the people will at least abide by the law, which they unfortunately didn't in this case. I don't think the seller is at all to blame here.

I don't care if you're raising rats and roaches. There is a humane way to treat them even when they have to be put down. If that is too difficult or harmful to your bottom line then you should be in another business that doesn't involve living creatures.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

If I was selling 50 dogs for some type of work, I want a written explanation as to exactly what they will
be doing, where, and as soon as it was known what is was for, then it is obvious it will come to an end,
as any event such as the olympics, ends after two weeks, and that particular tourist event will also
fade away. There has to be a responsibility to the seller as well, no, i'm afraid 'it doesn't' matter
to them. This isn't furniture they are selling, and it isn't cattle, it is live dogs, much different.
If the 50 dogs were sold without any interest by the seller as to the future welfare of the animals,
that is irresponsible.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't care if you're raising rats and roaches. There is a humane way to treat them even when they have to be put down. If that is too difficult or harmful to your bottom line then you should be in another business that doesn't involve living creatures.

You read into that what I never said.

If I was selling 50 dogs for some type of work, I want a written explanation as to exactly what they will
be doing, where, and as soon as it was known what is was for, then it is obvious it will come to an end,
as any event such as the olympics, ends after two weeks, and that particular tourist event will also
fade away. There has to be a responsibility to the seller as well, no, i'm afraid 'it doesn't' matter
to them. This isn't furniture they are selling, and it isn't cattle, it is live dogs, much different.
If the 50 dogs were sold without any interest by the seller as to the future welfare of the animals,
that is irresponsible.

Can you explain what makes cattle and dogs different?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Really, even if the dogs were sold to become food or lab fodder, they deserve a better end than shotgun and knife disposal

To clarify.... no one's saying they didn't. I'm simply saying that the seller isn't at fault for what the buyer does with the dogs when everything looked like it would have been on the up and up.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Your wisdom knows no bounds, Talloola - as I've noticed all my life it's often idiots who demand and gain control of things, when they really don't have the brains to pound sand in a rathole.
You've never heard of an exit plan as part of a business proposal?

Cattle?

If abattoirs had glass walls.....

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
You read into that what I never said.

Can you explain what makes cattle and dogs different?

We (Canadians and Americans) raise dogs for work or as pets, not food. Cattle are raised as food, and occasionally pets. Does not matter how other countries raise either one, we can only hope they are treated like we would treat them. Now if you want to discuss how we kill most cattle, I think that is horrible.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
We (Canadians and Americans) raise dogs for work or as pets, not food. Cattle are raised as food, and occasionally pets. Does not matter how other countries raise either one, we can only hope they are treated like we would treat them. Now if you want to discuss how we kill most cattle, I think that is horrible.

So because some people value them differently, all people must value them the same when selling them? Everyone must run background checks and have contingency plans with buyers? I'm sorry, but no. That's ridiculous. Working dogs are working dogs. They are often not sold with the same attachment as pet dogs, and I'm certainly not going to start demanding someone form that attachment. The seller had every reason to believe that those dogs would be treated within the rule of law, and bears no blaim for what the criminals did.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So because some people value them differently, all people must value them the same when selling them? Everyone must run background checks and have contingency plans with buyers? I'm sorry, but no. That's ridiculous. Working dogs are working dogs. They are often not sold with the same attachment as pet dogs, and I'm certainly not going to start demanding someone form that attachment. The seller had every reason to believe that those dogs would be treated within the rule of law, and bears no blaim for what the criminals did.
In times food of crisis, the term "pet" disappears in a heartbeat.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I hear you Karrie and have to admit we're dealing with a very emotionally charged subject- there's a vast difference between sled dogs and toy poodles, BUT if in fact it was absolutely necessary for these animals to be put down (which I still have my doubts) they should have been euthanized painlessly.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Just because someone doesn't form an attachment with you, doesn't mean you can't feel pain and depression.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They should have made hot dogs. Dog has got to better than lips and assholes from cows,chickens and hogs.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I hear you Karrie and have to admit we're dealing with a very emotionally charged subject- there's a vast difference between sled dogs and toy poodles, BUT if in fact it was absolutely necessary for these animals to be put down (which I still have my doubts) they should have been euthanized painlessly.

I'd never argue differently. Any animal, working, pet, or food, deserves a dignified end with as little pain as possible.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Just because someone doesn't form an attachment with you, doesn't mean you can't feel pain and depression.

So you think the seller should be held responsible, or at least shamed, for not realizing that these animals would be slaughtered horrifically?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
They should have made hot dogs. Dog has got to better than lips and assholes from cows,chickens and hogs.

Just leave the livestock alone Petros. :roll:

So you think the seller should be held responsible, or at least shamed, for not realizing that these animals would be slaughtered horrifically?

Well I don't know about that. I haven't followed this investigation through the media very closely but if the seller cared for the animals in more than a monetary sense, it stands to reason they would take steps to take over the pack until a time when it could be portioned out to new ventures.

No matter what, it's a life they were dealing with and that demands more effort than what was shown in this case.